Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow supercharger rate + P3D unlimited charging oddities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
Supercharged my p3d+ for the first time a couple days ago and was only getting ~35kw. Was at 50%SOC and No car charging at the paired stall. Thought it was fluke and went back again last night. Again at 35kW, 54% SOC, no other car charging. Tried a dfferent stall and same thing. I had just got my car back from the service center (after over 2weeks and 2 attempts) for having power reduced, unable to maintain vehicle power issues. I noticed they put my car on the supercharger before I picked it up and was only getting 128mile/hr. Charging rate seems slow to me, even at 50% SOC. Hoping its not related to unresolved power issues I was having.

On anther note I’m supposed to have unlimited supercharging. My tesla account still says pay per use, I don’t have a history tab and was able to supercharge without having a CC stored. Thought maybe that’s why i was throttled the first time so added a CC, even though I’m supposed to have free supercharging. Also noticed the charging screen doesn’t show any details on the bottom right. I’ve seen other pics that people have posted and seems to show more detail. Mine only says “current session” and “no recent supercharging” even though I have supercharged recently. Anybody else with free supercharging experience this?

E7A2FC9C-F7E1-480A-A661-268C7FF66F67.jpeg

Charging rate for ~50% charge should be something like 75-80kW (see: Supercharger speed: 116kW )

I would call Service. It may just be you had a bunch of broken supercharger stations. I had an incident where there were 4 superchargers available, 2 were broken, and the remaining 2 had reduced power available. Either way, service should be able to tell you if the superchargers you used were faulty or not.

Supercharged my p3d+ for the first time a couple days ago and was only getting ~35kw. Was at 50%SOC and No car charging at the paired stall. Thought it was fluke and went back again last night. Again at 35kW, 54% SOC, no other car charging. Tried a dfferent stall and same thing. I had just got my car back from the service center (after over 2weeks and 2 attempts) for having power reduced, unable to maintain vehicle power issues. I noticed they put my car on the supercharger before I picked it up and was only getting 128mile/hr. Charging rate seems slow to me, even at 50% SOC. Hoping its not related to unresolved power issues I was having.

On anther note I’m supposed to have unlimited supercharging. My tesla account still says pay per use, I don’t have a history tab and was able to supercharge without having a CC stored. Thought maybe that’s why i was throttled the first time so added a CC, even though I’m supposed to have free supercharging. Also noticed the charging screen doesn’t show any details on the bottom right. I’ve seen other pics that people have posted and seems to show more detail. Mine only says “current session” and “no recent supercharging” even though I have supercharged recently. Anybody else with free supercharging experience this?

View attachment 346093
Same for me on my P3D+

#1. I noticed your display is showing the outdoor temperature is 42F.
#2. How long and how many miles did you drive before you reached the SC?

Only reason I ask is if the ambient temperature is under 50F and if the battery is somewhat "cold", you will see extremely reduced Supercharging rates. Usually, charging will help warm up the battery, but in some cases, it may take 15 or more minutes (from personal experience) where the BMS thinks the battery is "warm" enough to let it charge at the fastest speed possible. Unlike the Model S/X, the Model 3 does not have a dedicated "battery heater" and takes a LOT longer to warm up.

But follow the other suggestions in the thread too and call Service to see if the slow supercharging was due to your specific vehicle or the actual charger you were at. Good luck.

#1. I noticed your display is showing the outdoor temperature is 42F.
#2. How long and how many miles did you drive before you reached the SC?

Only reason I ask is if the ambient temperature is under 50F and if the battery is somewhat "cold", you will see extremely reduced Supercharging rates. Usually, charging will help warm up the battery, but in some cases, it may take 15 or more minutes (from personal experience) where the BMS thinks the battery is "warm" enough to let it charge at the fastest speed possible. Unlike the Model S/X, the Model 3 does not have a dedicated "battery heater" and takes a LOT longer to warm up.

But follow the other suggestions in the thread too and call Service to see if the slow supercharging was due to your specific vehicle or the actual charger you were at. Good luck.

This! It's best to Supercharge immediately after driving. Don't try to do it first thing in the morning or after it has been parked for a few hours. If your power meter is showing limited regen (dotted line along the left side of the power meter), you will definitely experience reduced charging speed.

Reactions: Kermee
Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions. Car was parked in my garage...about high 50’s-60deg and driven for about 11min for 7 miles to the supercharger. I wouldn’t think the battery would be that cold to reduce the rate that much. Certainly didn’t have any dotted lines, limited regen or snowflake symbol. Don’t think its a case of repeated supercharging either as I had only supercharged it twice.

I did call Tesla customer support while I was charging...was on hold for almost an hr and was home by the time they answered. He didn’t notice anything out of sorts on his side, but not sure how deep he dug. I didn’t think to ask him to check the superchargers nor did he mention anything about them. He had me perform a 3 min powerdown/reboot? and said if it happened again to make a service appointment. I emailed my service center that did my repairs and am waiting to hear back from them as well.

Another thing to note. I had supercharged the p90d loaner a couple days prior at the same location and stalls and got 62kw at about 60-70% SOC. Next time maybe I’ll try another charging station, but its further and out of my way.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee
Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions. Car was parked in my garage...about high 50’s-60deg and driven for about 11min for 7 miles to the supercharger. I wouldn’t think the battery would be that cold to reduce the rate that much. Certainly didn’t have any dotted lines, limited regen or snowflake symbol. Don’t think its a case of repeated supercharging either as I had only supercharged it twice.

I did call Tesla customer support while I was charging...was on hold for almost an hr and was home by the time they answered. He didn’t notice anything out of sorts on his side, but not sure how deep he dug. I didn’t think to ask him to check the superchargers nor did he mention anything about them. He had me perform a 3 min powerdown/reboot? and said if it happened again to make a service appointment. I emailed my service center that did my repairs and am waiting to hear back from them as well.

Another thing to note. I had supercharged the p90d loaner a couple days prior at the same location and stalls and got 62kw at about 60-70% SOC. Next time maybe I’ll try another charging station, but its further and out of my way.

Excellent. Sounds like it's just wait and see at this point.

For a P90D loaner, 62kW sounds about right around 60-70% SOC. For reference, here's the "best conditions" charge rate for a LR TM3 on a 120kW charger:

7XN2JvD.png

Around 54% SoC, you should have been easily close or around 90kW still. But again, even if limited-regen isn't showing on the dashboard, not sure if the BMS is maxing out your charge rate to 35kW due to battery-pack temperature, Supercharger issue, or something else. Hopefully Service can get to the bottom of the issue for you. Good luck!

Something I found is that the initial state of charge seems to have an impact on charge rate. I don't remember exactly but I was at ~60% charge one time and I was nowhere near 72 kW or so. However when I tried charging from a ~30% SOC I was getting full power (~115 kW). Try going to a lower SOC and see what happens.

Something I found is that the initial state of charge seems to have an impact on charge rate. I don't remember exactly but I was at ~60% charge one time and I was nowhere near 72 kW or so. However when I tried charging from a ~30% SOC I was getting full power (~115 kW). Try going to a lower SOC and see what happens.

That’s something I was wondering as well. Anyone else notice that behavior?
Will try going in at a lower SOC next time and see what happens. Car is at the shop getting PPF put on so it’ll be a couple days before I even get it back.

I won’t be supercharging regularly. Just didn’t want to find out heading into a long roadtrip that somethings not working right. Especially considering my cars track record with the power issues I had upon delivery.

Got to supercharge again today. This time I was down to 30% and drove to the further supercharger so I can try and get the battery a bit warmer. Initital rate peaked at 91kw for a few secs....before settling down at 82kw. What’s interesting is that it kept dropping quicker than i would have expected as SOC went up. By the time it was 65% the rate was 49kw and held there until it was almost charged and was at 38kw towards the end of the charge at 80%. I was busy talking to another tesla owner....but I think majority of my charge was at ~50kw. I noticed his S was at ~35kW...with a range of 175miles (not sure what model S it was).

All in all better than last time....but not the sustained 100+kw that I see other people posting. Last charge took 40min to go from 54% to 80%. This time it took 40 min to go from 30% to 80%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lon12