Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow supercharging on a 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think there is anything that can be done about the throttling. I looked into this a while back, and found nothing that would make a difference. I have a 2013 P85+. It doesn’t matter what type of supercharger I go to, the max speed is always pretty much the same.

No. Tesla found that there is a problem with longevity of the battery, so they limit the charging to help extend the battery life.
Derby, is there any evidence to support that “Tesla found there is a problem…”?

I also have a 2013 Model S, 60kWH and the high voltage battery was replaced about 35,000 miles ago. -At a V3 Charger it now takes over an hour to charge 50%!
It averages ~30kWh when charging and never peaks above 45.

SC said tested function supper-charge rate and found normal charge rate no alerts or issues found.

Derby, is there any evidence to support that “Tesla found there is a problem…”?

The evidence would seem to be that Tesla has systematically and deliberately slowed the charging speed of early cars. Likely to improve their longevity.

So of course there is nothing “wrong” for Tesla to diagnose and fix. The car is performing exactly they way they have told it to.

The evidence would seem to be that Tesla has systematically and deliberately slowed the charging speed of early cars. Likely to improve their longevity.

So of course there is nothing “wrong” for Tesla to diagnose and fix. The car is performing exactly they way they have told it to.
I guess I’ll just buy a new one if I want to charge 200 miles within 15 minutes like they advertise these V3‘s can do. It just sucks that my 2013 at a Supercharger can only get 70 miles of range after an hour of charging. I guess Tesla, like most software companies ie Apple Have found a way through technology to degrade performance in the pursuit to sell a new product.

Reactions: fullcharge
I guess Tesla, like most software companies ie Apple Have found a way through technology to degrade performance in the pursuit to sell a new product.
People are quick to point the finger here but I’m not wholly convinced Tesla gives two squirts about trying to force existing customers into new cars to the point that they would deliberately degrade the experience of owning an older one.

They already have a buyer for every car they can make, and then some.

Adopting emerging technology comes with risks. It seems pretty likely to me that Tesla has discovered over time that fast charging these early packs causes problems that accelerate failure. Slowing down charging to preserve longevity and prevent failure seems like a valid response.

You think you’re angry at them now, just wait until your out of warranty pack fails and they ask for $20k to replace it…

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
-I do remember as an early adapter they stated their was no issues with Suppercharging that it would degrade a battery. Seems the story has changed.
That's not correct.
I remember having this conversation on the other forum on their website about this question back in 2013-2015 pretty frequently. They had a FAQ on their website about Supercharging, and the question was posed right there, published on the site. And I pointed out repeatedly to people how Tesla had a very carefully worded answer that made sure to avoid answering that specifically, by saying whether or not it was harmful to the battery. It merely said please do Supercharge as much as you want to. It did not say anything about whether that was harming the car.