TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slow Supercharging Raven

Discussion in 'Model S' started by voltage, Dec 27, 2019.

1. voltage

voltage Member

Hi. It’s my first visit to a Supercharger. It’s much slower than expected, 140 mi/hr. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

If may have been the supercharger, next time switch stalls if you can or you may have shared charging with another Tesla if someone was next to you charging at the same time.

3. voltage

voltage Member

I’ll try that. There’s 16 stalls and 3 cars charging. The closest one is 2 stalls away.

4. Zextraterrestrial

temperature?
    if the battery is cold this is normal or even pretty good at that state of charge(SOC)

• Like x 1
  5. voltage

voltage Member

It’s 64 degrees right now. Where can I find battery temperature? I drove for around 1/2 hour before charging.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

OP: You are also near the top third of SoC so the taper has already kicked in.

How close is not the question. What number is the question. If they are paired they have a number like 1A, 2B etc. You don't want to be paired with the same number (ie no 1A 1B pairing). Some sites have the stalls 1A 2A and some have the stalls 1A 1B (more common). So you could have the first 8 stalls all being A's and then the next being B's. In that case stall 1 (1A) is actually paired with stall 9 (1B). Kind of confusing but the labels are pretty easy to spot. Good job for the co pilot to find you the best spot to avoid pairing as you approach.
    Excellent point. If the OP came to the SC after driving for a few hours it's probably not temp related but if this is early on your journey than yes. And provided Tesla has not changed the pre charger warm-up algorithm, if you use the navigation to get you to the next charger its supposed to warm up the battery too.

7. glide

glide Active Member

Yikes. Even my 2015 P85D does better than that at the supercharger.

Try a different stall/Supercharger location

8. Zextraterrestrial

If it was in the 50s over night and you drove gently there would still be limiting.
    You can get some data apps and equipment to see temps but Tesla does not show this info.

9. Zextraterrestrial

some pairs are side by side others are not / depends on the location.
    some are marked 1A/B others don't have markings. quite variable now(not a bad thing, ideally you shouldn't need to worry....almost there w/ the model 3 & new charge rates..I can't get an order of food before the car is done charging!)

10. voltage

voltage Member

I was in 2A. 2B was empty. Finished charging now. Thanks for all the tips.

• Informative x 1