Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely supercharge but today I was in Beaumont ca supposed to be a 250kW max and nobody else here 5am. I’m getting 30kW charging at 70% soc. Search on this forum I believe should be getting over 80kw charge rate. Should I make a service appointment

I rarely supercharge but today I was in Beaumont ca supposed to be a 250kW max and nobody else here 5am. I’m getting 30kW charging at 70% soc. Search on this forum I believe should be getting over 80kw charge rate. Should I make a service appointment
30kw @70% is really not bad. If the ambient temp is very hot, and the batteries are also hot, the charge rate will be reduced, normal BMS software function. It is quite unlikely you will be able to improve anything.

There are multiple battery versions in the X, it depends which one you have. The charging speed depends on SOC but also depends on the battery temperature. Did you precondition for supercharging? That is, did you navigate to the SC enough in advance for the car to heat the battery?

You can look at this link which might help see the "optimal" charging for your battery, as well as statistics of various ABRP users with the same battery as you: Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update

Reactions: WhiteWi
There are multiple battery versions in the X, it depends which one you have. The charging speed depends on SOC but also depends on the battery temperature. Did you precondition for supercharging? That is, did you navigate to the SC enough in advance for the car to heat the battery?

You can look at this link which might help see the "optimal" charging for your battery, as well as statistics of various ABRP users with the same battery as you: Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Thanks for the link. I drove the vehicle for an hour prior to charging and Beaumont is in the desert area of ca it’s hot even at 4am

Thanks for the link. I drove the vehicle for an hour prior to charging and Beaumont is in the desert area of ca it’s hot even at 4am

Driving does help prepare the batteries, but if you set the supercharger as the destination the car will actively warm the batteries and provide a message on the screen to tell you its doing so. Did you get that message?

All that said, I'm not sure how much preconditioning does to aid speeds at such high state of charge. I would have expected it to be higher as well, but maybe that's just what it is for that model, year, age, of car.

Attachments

• bwsnxpq5z2551.jpg
    bwsnxpq5z2551.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: njhtran