Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took our first road trip in our Model X. We traveled to the Springfield Oregon supercharger. Here we charged at a peak rate of 110 kW. From there we traveled to the Grants Pass supercharger. At Grants Pass, the peak charge rate was only 50 kW, less than half the speed of Springfield. On the return trip we had similar results. Has anyone else seen this? Are some supercharger locations faster than others? Anyone have another idea for the cause?

We took our first road trip in our Model X. We traveled to the Springfield Oregon supercharger. Here we charged at a peak rate of 110 kW. From there we traveled to the Grants Pass supercharger. At Grants Pass, the peak charge rate was only 50 kW, less than half the speed of Springfield. On the return trip we had similar results. Has anyone else seen this? Are some supercharger locations faster than others? Anyone have another idea for the cause?
I'm sitting here at Santa Ana supercharging station. It's showing that there are 6hrs and 10min remaining to charge 87miles worth of charging.
It's terrible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Patrick0101
Try calling the Tesla Roadside Assistance number to report these slow charge rate incidents: 877-798-3752 (877-79-TESLA).

Also when this has happened to me, I moved my car to the adjacent Supercharger connector and have generally been able to charge much faster.

I'm looking forward to the 350 kW+ Supercharger upgrade that was recently announced. That will significantly increase the charge rate. Who knows, may be they will do 500 or 800 kW, which would just be amazing!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: DBEV
I'm sitting here at Santa Ana supercharging station. It's showing that there are 6hrs and 10min remaining to charge 87miles worth of charging.
It's terrible.
DId you try other stalls? Did you report the problem to Tesla?

I think you are the first person to report a slow charging problem at the Santa Ana location.

Reactions: Patrick0101
I experience this in Waco, Texas. On the first part of our trip it was charging at 120 kW. On the return part of our trip, it wouldn't go above 75 kW even when we were the only car there out of the 8 stalls and our SoC was around 18% when we started charging.

I've noticed a problem with slower supercharging as well. On a brand-new model X 70 5D we just did a 2 Week Road trip from Seattle to Northern California and back and the max we could get was 96 kW.

Often less than that. Sometimes explainable (shared charging station number, cold battery, high state of charge) but often inexplainable. Tried moving to different stalls many times, never got close to 120kw.

Placed a call to tesla, they are looking into it and say I likely need to see a service center.

Just got a P90D X, have been charging a lot at Cincinnati supercharger while awaiting my home charging install. Took a road trip and got over 200 miles of charge/hr and at first also in Cincy. Lately Cincy has been 100/hr at best. I'm always the only one there and have tried a few different stalls. Do they ever throttle your rate?

Just completed 3000 miles of coast supercharging from Canada to San Diego (although we didn't stop at the Springfield, OR one) and at every supercharger I was receiving the highest kW of charge at every supercharger. In fact I have not yet experienced any reduced rate of charge that wasn't explainable. If I were concerned I would call the Tesla customer service line and see what was going on.

Just completed 3000 miles of coast supercharging from Canada to San Diego (although we didn't stop at the Springfield, OR one) and at every supercharger I was receiving the highest kW of charge at every supercharger. In fact I have not yet experienced any reduced rate of charge that wasn't explainable. If I were concerned I would call the Tesla customer service line and see what was going on.

I would be interested in your experience travelling that distance.

How often on average did you need to Supercharge? Did you find that annoying or just accept it as a fact of owning aTesla?

Did you experience Range Anxiety anywhere along your route?

Thanks

2017 p100 , slow supercharging , changed 6 stalls in Buttonwillow , Tejon and Harris . Start wit over 100kw and in a few minutes down to 40-52kw ~160mi/hr, what is going on ? I am traveling from SF to LA and its irritating ! Do we start selling our cars or Tesla is going to fix this issue? Why are they silent about it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 180
2017 p100 , slow supercharging , changed 6 stalls in Buttonwillow , Tejon and Harris . Start wit over 100kw and in a few minutes down to 40-52kw ~160mi/hr, what is going on ? I am traveling from SF to LA and its irritating ! Do we start selling our cars or Tesla is going to fix this issue? Why are they silent about it ?

Think about filling a battery like you do filling a glass of water without overflowing. You can start fast but then must slow down, and the more full you get, the slower you go until full. SF to LA is a supercharger dream compared to up here. Plan your charging stops so you arrive with a low battery and stop charging when the taper slows too much if that's sufficient range before you visit another supercharger. You only need to charge full when you need it to make it your destination and most superchargers are well within 70% of a 100 kWh battery.

Tesla hasn't been silent about this aspect of charging at all -- it's explained everywhere they explain charging the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was at a San Diego supercharger last month and I was only able to get 40kW max from start to finish. I spent a good 1 hour+ there charging. That has nothing to do with filling up a glass of water. It was horribly slow.

At a glance this is what Tesla wants you to believe:
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 9.33.17 PM.png