Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had about 40 miles left when started charging , 3 times at different locations , I changed stalles after 5 minutes 3 times each location just to verify if it is a connector problem or stall but it was the same result . It is showing 110 kw for a few minutes and then it drops to 40-50 and 160 mi/hr . Is it normal to charge 2 hours?

Based on my recent trip, I agree that this is a problem.

In Ocala FL, after seeing two low rate of charges at the site, i called Tesla roadside and was advised (after destination charging that night I then called for two following day) of problems at that location. Recap:

Ocala--6 of 8 were slow; no more than mid 50's despite lower state of charge (I was at 10%). Was able to get 109 once moving to one of last two operating well when an S left.

Savannah--also, only two good (actually may have only been one) since one of the 'good' ones went to 110 briefly and then cycled down to 54.

Santee--2 of 6 bad: needed to charge more here for 200rm trip. Fortunately, I was able to get high 100's for a quite a bit before the natural cycle down. Felt bad for a couple that needed a full charge for their S but could only get 50's since my x and another s had control of the 'good' pairs.

I conclude (small sample I know) that in their mad rush to get SC's open, regular maintenance is being curtailed.

It indeed looks like the supercharger network is falling apart. Just completed a 4000 mile road trip and experienced a lot of slow charging. Like a good ev driver I try to plan my sections so that I arrive with 10-20% battery at the next supercharger. I use to get charges of around 100kw but the last month there has only been one time the car could charge at his rate. It has been as low as 34 kw and most of the time it just hovers above 50Kw. This is at empty charging stations with a battery level below 50%. It makes road tripping a lot harder. The car estimates a 40 minute charge and in-stead you end up doing 1 1/2 hours.

Every time when I speak to road side assistance they either can see no issue and no explanation for the slow charging or they say they supercharger has been reported as faulty.

Only half an hour ago I was charging at Maddison. Got 58kw. When I phoned them they said that all super chargers at this location are faulty except 1a (only a three chargers at this destination).

I really hope that Tesla can fix the exciting superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch and Canuck
It indeed looks like the supercharger network is falling apart. Just completed a 4000 mile road trip and experienced a lot of slow charging. Like a good ev driver I try to plan my sections so that I arrive with 10-20% battery at the next supercharger. I use to get charges of around 100kw but the last month there has only been one time the car could charge at his rate. It has been as low as 34 kw and most of the time it just hovers above 50Kw. This is at empty charging stations with a battery level below 50%. It makes road tripping a lot harder. The car estimates a 40 minute charge and in-stead you end up doing 1 1/2 hours.

Every time when I speak to road side assistance they either can see no issue and no explanation for the slow charging or they say they supercharger has been reported as faulty.

Only half an hour ago I was charging at Maddison. Got 58kw. When I phoned them they said that all super chargers at this location are faulty except 1a (only a three chargers at this destination).

I really hope that Tesla can fix the exciting superchargers.

Exactly the same situation. Made more than 9k miles last 6 mont on my brand new X and very disappointed , some people here are trying not to talk about this problem. How do we address this issue to Tesla so they can investigate it?

Reactions: hpartsch
Today Buena Park, at Tesla shop, changed 2 chargers. Something is going on

Attachments

• IMG_5270.JPG
    IMG_5270.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5271.JPG
    IMG_5271.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 214
not for me.
This was my first ever road trip, and I had under 2k miles on the odometer.

That's a different issue.

Doesn't explain the varying charge rates. If throttled, we wouldnt see the 100+ rates that are found side by side with the 50's for the same vehicle ( nor tesla service advising issues on calls ).
Thanks. I've just started that thread and thought it might be related. It's obviously not.

Yeah there is something not performing as well as even earlier this year. And running into a fair number of charging stalls that just quit after a certain amount of time.

All pretty annoying when trying to make good time down the I5 in California.

On a SF to LA road trip today. Just unbelievable

I've owned 3 Tesla's and logged over 100k+ miles and have never seen this

I emailed TeslaNA and Mr Musk himself. I don't expect either to respond

Pretty disappointing for a 56B market cap company

Attachments

• IMG_3563.PNG
    IMG_3563.PNG
    937 KB · Views: 186
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
On a SF to LA road trip today. Just unbelievable

I've owned 3 Tesla's and logged over 100k+ miles and have never seen this

I emailed TeslaNA and Mr Musk himself. I don't expect either to respond

Pretty disappointing for a 56B market cap company
Calling while you're supercharging may be more useful-- they can tell you if there's a problem with a stall and which stall to switch to, or if there aren't any problems at the site perhaps your car needs to be looked at. If your battery isn't cooling properly your charge rate will be reduced, for example.