Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a SF to LA road trip today. Just unbelievable

I've owned 3 Tesla's and logged over 100k+ miles and have never seen this

I emailed TeslaNA and Mr Musk himself. I don't expect either to respond

Pretty disappointing for a 56B market cap company

You were at a very low charge state when you snapped that picture. Did it speed up at all ( ie once you got over 10% )?

Fwiw: seeing issues with some Sc on i95 south East Coast...

I just completed my 2017 Eclipse Trip which involved driving from the Boston Area to Knoxville TN - for over about 2,000 miles total and 17 super charger stops. Overall, the Super Charger experience seemed acceptable to me. While I had what seemed to be variable results at each charger, the big picture was pretty constant - about 2.9 miles added per minute of charge ( that seems to be the simplest metric and the one that matters the most). I have attached the details for each stop and the overall metrics. As this was a multi day trip - the biggest obvious lesson I learned is when staying overnight - make sure you stay at a hotel within walking distance of a Super Charger or with a destination charger. You can still make it work without this adjacency, but it is quite a bit more of a hassle.

The Eclipse was spectacular by the way :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 11.04.28 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Four SC locations during my eclipse trip, all in Oregon. Good charge rates at all, even near 90 degrees with 7 stalls in use. If people are seeing consistent low results there may be something wrong with their car, since it's a pretty important part of the Supercharger system. Service centers have, unfortunately, not been consistent about determining faults there. Also it's a shame that Tesla does not track the per-car rate along with the per-stall rate, as that would let them mine the data to find cars with faults and proactively fix them.

IMG_4748.JPG
IMG_4749.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG
IMG_4748.JPG IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4750.JPG We just completed our second road trip in our 2013 P85 with 40K miles. Only had slow supercharging at one of five SC's we used either going or coming from ATL to NC Outer Banks, approx 500 miles. On return trip we stopped at Burlington NC which we had skipped on the trip up. This SC is numbered unusually. 1A, 1B, 1C...then 2A,2B... Usually its 1AB, 2AB, etc. There were 3 Teslas there on our arrival and we had only 30 miles remaining. After allowing our car to "ramp up" we were only seeing around 50 miles per hour. We changed slots 5 times with slight improvements, don't know if temp related (89 degrees), that location or our car. Our car did charge up to and occ over 300 mph at other sites. Tesla road service said they would send logs to local service center. All kinds of unsubstantiated posts about "throttling", SC harming batteries. Wonder if posted by ICE people? What I did see which saddened me as a big time Tesla fan were tree saplings over 10 feet tall INSIDE the transformer enclosure at the Plymouth NC site which calls in to question whether the Superchargers are being maintained. Just an aside, wifey found a recommendation to forego cabin AC in hot weather as the post said same system that cools cabin also may be needed to keep batteries cooler for charging. I was wonder why the next door guy had his windows down and I will do the same next time..

We took our first road trip in our Model X. We traveled to the Springfield Oregon supercharger. Here we charged at a peak rate of 110 kW. From there we traveled to the Grants Pass supercharger. At Grants Pass, the peak charge rate was only 50 kW .......snip........
"ONLY" 50kW ???
Some of our stops make 50 look super. Yea - sorry for your pain ... but we're NOT going to cry you a river ....
:p

20170917_114824-jpg.248297

Face it - model 3 is most important . . . . . not charger maintenance. We bought the CHAdeMO adapter & use it rather than hit slow locations ... especially on crowded/hot days especially at known locations that regularly have issues.
The more folks charging ... the quicker the parts wear out. and when it takes 3 hours to charge, some of the units will run from 6am 'till 8pm.

Charger maintenance is absolutely happening. The Centralia Supercharger just got new posts and cables back around when the eclipse happened. It might not be enough or in enough places, of course.

What rates do you see with CHAdeMO? One of the other EVs in the household uses that for quick charging and I've found it to be rather slow and frustrating at times.

Reactions: Patrick0101
I purchased a CHAdeMo adapter almost two years ago to add more options for long distance travel. When I have tested it at an EVgo site nearby I found it charges at about 2/3 Supercharger speeds. I believe most Nissan dealerships have CHAdeMo and most seem ok letting Tesla's use them. Of course you are limited to their business hours.

Fastest CHAdeMO in our area runs at ~50kW's. On bad SC days, the CHAdeMO alternative can get you heading down the road again in less than half the time.
GuideToDCQC.jpg

Who knows ... after tesla announced they've discovered increased capacity degradation when folks SC regularly/frequently -

Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

CHAdeMO might end up being (sadly) similar in speed to QC. Hopefully the good folks implementing throttle necessities won't be making any other policies "for Owners' best interests".

Last edited:
The lowest SC rate I've ever seen was around 55 kW. Of course I've only been to Pacific Northwest Superchargers, so it could be different elsewhere. Either way it seems like a slim chance that there's that bad of a SC problem to drop you below 50kW at the same time as there is a good CHAdeMO nearby. Here many of the CHAdeMO are only 30kW, which makes sense given that they are aimed at small battery cars.

I stand by my stance that Tesla should be doing network monitoring using the data gathering in the cars. There absolutely appear to be cars with SC problems, and Tesla should be reaching out to fix them.

Can't get past 34kw. I started with near 0% but now I would have expected the pace to pick up.

I do have two other cars charging nearby but after changing the location once to nearer one car, the speed increased to this of the picture... Before I was at 9km/hr (?)
If you start very close to 0% charge it will take a little longer to ramp up... the battery can't take the full charge rate at the lower end 0-5%ish and obviously it tapers at the upper half.... which is more of a normal curve 50-100%

• Helpful
Reactions: Thiago
The st augustine charger never goes above 40kw. I was in Orlando yesterday and got 150, charged in 30 minutes. I have been in a dozen big cities, no where chargers, none of them are the same. I have log of 7 months in 20 states. I have been in full 8 bays, been alone and if I move it might change, might not. I have reported about a dozen broken chargers this summer as I traveled the USA.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
View attachment 248246 View attachment 248247 View attachment 248248 View attachment 248246 View attachment 248247 View attachment 248248 We just completed our second road trip in our 2013 P85 with 40K miles. Only had slow supercharging at one of five SC's we used either going or coming from ATL to NC Outer Banks, approx 500 miles. On return trip we stopped at Burlington NC which we had skipped on the trip up. This SC is numbered unusually. 1A, 1B, 1C...then 2A,2B... Usually its 1AB, 2AB, etc. There were 3 Teslas there on our arrival and we had only 30 miles remaining. After allowing our car to "ramp up" we were only seeing around 50 miles per hour. We changed slots 5 times with slight improvements, don't know if temp related (89 degrees), that location or our car. Our car did charge up to and occ over 300 mph at other sites. Tesla road service said they would send logs to local service center. All kinds of unsubstantiated posts about "throttling", SC harming batteries. Wonder if posted by ICE people? What I did see which saddened me as a big time Tesla fan were tree saplings over 10 feet tall INSIDE the transformer enclosure at the Plymouth NC site which calls in to question whether the Superchargers are being maintained. Just an aside, wifey found a recommendation to forego cabin AC in hot weather as the post said same system that cools cabin also may be needed to keep batteries cooler for charging. I was wonder why the next door guy had his windows down and I will do the same next time..

You can call the Supercharger number to report issues. It should be posted on the Supercharger connector cabinets, and is 877.798.3752.