Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow tire leak on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My right rear tire has developed a slow leak. I seem to be losing around 2-3 psi per day, so every other day or so I have to inflate it back to 45. I took it in to Discount Tire last week. They removed the tire from the vehicle, inspected it visually and found nothing. They sprayed the entire tire including the rim and the valve and still found nothing. They dunked the tire in a tank of water and spun it around looking for leaks…nothing. So they put it back on the car and reinflated it to 45 psi. Two days later it’s down to 38.

Any suggestions on how to address this? They spent more than 30 minutes inspecting the tire. Is there something they could have missed?

Stock rim?

My only suggestion would be to spray some soapy water all over the tire and rim when it's mounted on the car. The added pressure of the car's weight may show something that's missed when the tire/rim is unmounted.

edit: I would concentrate on the area where the tire meets the rim (i.e., the bead).

I once had some ice develop in the valve stem somehow. I must have filled it on a super cold day and some moisture condensed (and subsequently froze) there. Led to a slow leak until I happened to clear it. But that was in NJ, and you live in SoCal…?

Reactions: Andy7
I took the car in to America’s Tire today and they found a nail in the tire, patched it up and reinflated it. And they did it all for free.

I only recently learned that if you want to go to Discount Tire in Southern California they call themselves America’s Tire. The first shop I went to was “Discount Tire and Service Center”, which is a completely unrelated business using a similar name. I thought I was going to Discount Tire on the first trip and only learned after I left that I was at a completely different business.

They offered me a very good price on the Pilot Sport 4S tires. It was $891 including tax and installation, which was even lower than Costco. I think I’ll probably go ahead with those when I’m ready.

I've had bad luck with at least 4 of those slow-leak situations over the past five years, one on a prior BMW and the rest on our two Tesla's. But slow-leak better than a rapid leak, right, at least it never strands you thus requiring roadside assistance, and gives you time and options to shop around or drive to get it fixed. Got used to carrying around a portable 18V inflator (wise $25 investment) and spending a few minutes adding air every other morning or so.

America's Tire/Discount Tire is great - they fixed a couple of them for free, all except the one a bit too close to the sidewall. It wasn't right by the sidewall, I eventually learned how to use a tire plug for that one myself. The tires were close to the wear bars anyways so just bought a few months to research next set of tires. Last slow-leak that buggered me for months, couldn't find it even with the soap bubble test - well, it turned out to be in the valve itself. If you never knew before, they do actually replace the valve stems each time you install new tires - even though the stems are attached to the rim, not the tire, so fixed when I finally bought new tires.

America's Tire is also great with the Michelin warranty, I learned here that they will fight for your Michelin warranty, even on the OEM tires, if you buy another set of Michelin's. In my case it was a replacement set of MXM4's I bought at America's Tire that only lasted 20K miles, the rep said Tesla's pretty much only get half the rated life regardless of tire. They offered the warranty credit on a new set of Michelin's, but when I asked about a new set of much-cheaper (and higher mileage-rated) Falken's, they honored the credit on those instead. Even better the pro-rated credit was not on the price I initially paid three years ago, but on the current jacked-up price of MXM4's - the Falken's ended up basically free, I only had to pay the balance for mounting/balancing.

Reactions: Taxvictim
Another shout-out for America's Tire / Discount Tire. Have had nothing but good luck with them over the years on all of my cars. And, beware of going to places that have names similar to them. As the OP found out, the imposters don't provide the same level of service.

Keith

They offered me a very good price on the Pilot Sport 4S tires. It was $891 including tax and installation, which was even lower than Costco. I think I’ll probably go ahead with those when I’m ready.

That is wicked cheap. Which location? I go to the one on Aspan Ave. Tire Rack sells 4 235/35/20 PS4 tires for $1,450.

That is wicked cheap. Which location? I go to the one on Aspan Ave. Tire Rack sells 4 235/35/20 PS4 tires for $1,450.

I am thinking part of the disparity in the pricing is the fact that the OP has 18 inch wheels, while most of the people responding regarding PS4S tires are talking about the OEM 20s.
I just have the 18” wheels

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3