Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow tire leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this something “schedule service” can handle, or should I look for a local tire shop?

Thanks

20” tires. 5k miles. Have not used/tried Tesla service yet.
I had a similar slow-leak in on my my tires - turned out that it had a nail in it. The no-flat tires allowed me to drive for a couple of hundred miles (before I realized there was a leak).
I took it to my local costco tire center and they fixed it for me even though the tires were not purchased from Costco. fyi: Our local costco has been servicing Teslas for a while so they are familiar with it. YMMV

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I also had a screw in my tire, noticed the noise before any leak developed, took to my local Costco and they fixed it in an hour, I was charged $10.99 because the tires were not purchased there, but that's a very reasonable price. My local Costco knows Teslas and they have their own jack pads, and the service adviser even pulled up the manual on the screen and left it on for the technician.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Have you never had a nail in a tire of any other car you've driven before? Real common cause of a slow leak. Just take it to a tire shop. If you have Discount Tire in Seattle, they fix them for free.

Same thing happened to me but had had nails in two of my tires both right side, when to Tesla and they repaired one I believe it was the front and told me the back one could not be repaired had to be replaced they quoted me approx 345$ or 360 plus labor for one tire 18” areo is what I have and price is in cdn so your price might be cheaper or higher depending on where you are.
Long story short because it’s still original tire still had some warranty through manufacture of tire asked Tesla if they can honour that they said they would but they don’t have the paper work to fill for a replacement tire I believe it’s because there not an actual dealership/ service Center there technicalities to be able to operate here, so I went to my local tire shop that has worked on Tesla’s and they replaced the tire and filled out the warranty and I got it replaced without spending to much money

But to answer your question yes Tesla can handle this issue or you can take it to a local tire shop but maybe ask them if they’ve worked on Tesla’s before they need jack pads and the torque specs of the tire is quite high on the model 3 over 100 foot pounds it exact torque spec is in the owners manual

I had both 20" tires on the passenger side each develop a slow leak that was resolved by a tire shop putting a black seal on the inside of the rim on the inner side. No visible rim damage but besides faulty tires, what else could it be?

I had a similar slow-leak in on my my tires - turned out that it had a nail in it. The no-flat tires allowed me to drive for a couple of hundred miles (before I realized there was a leak).
I took it to my local costco tire center and they fixed it for me even though the tires were not purchased from Costco. fyi: Our local costco has been servicing Teslas for a while so they are familiar with it. YMMV

Sounds like you're driving on a ticking time bomb if you drove on a run-flat tire that was low on air pressure for a couple hundred miles.

It should have been replaced, not repaired, and no, the Costco people weren't supposed to tell you if the tire was ok or not. They can't tell by looking at the tire whether or not it's damaged.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=226

How did you not get a warning from your tire pressure monitoring system??

Last edited:
Sounds like you're driving on a ticking time bomb if you drove on a run-flat tire that was low on air pressure for a couple hundred miles.

It should have been replaced, not repaired, and no, the Costco people weren't supposed to tell you if the tire was ok or not. They can't tell by looking at the tire whether or not it's damaged.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=226

How did you not get a warning from your tire pressure monitoring system??

If I read your post correctly, you are trying to say that I was stupid, uninformed and ignorant. I was none of those.
If that is not what you meant, then you can ignore the rest of this post. If not, then please read on.

I was trying to be brief in my original post - I have been driving for many decades, have had punctures/flats, done donut replacements etc ie I consider myself to be competent and knowledgeable enough to understand driving on a punctured tire is not safe and to seek appropriate help accordingly.

In this case, it was the TPMS which warned me of the low tire-pressure; which was probably lost slowly over a period of a week (hence the 200 miles). The pressure never dropped below 36 psi (42 psi is the recommended). When it did, I pumped it back up to 42 psi and immediately went to my local tire shop. They found the nail but did not take it out as they do not have the equipment to fix these no-flat tires. I promptly took it to a 2nd tire shop who confirmed the same issue but they did not have the parts to fix it. I did take an appointment with my local tesla SC but the earliest was 48+ hours away. Hence I decided to try out costco (since I knew that they do tire replacements for Teslas)

If I read your post correctly, you are trying to say that I was stupid, uninformed and ignorant. I was none of those.
If that is not what you meant, then you can ignore the rest of this post. If not, then please read on.

I was trying to be brief in my original post - I have been driving for many decades, have had punctures/flats, done donut replacements etc ie I consider myself to be competent and knowledgeable enough to understand driving on a punctured tire is not safe and to seek appropriate help accordingly.

In this case, it was the TPMS which warned me of the low tire-pressure; which was probably lost slowly over a period of a week (hence the 200 miles). The pressure never dropped below 36 psi (42 psi is the recommended). When it did, I pumped it back up to 42 psi and immediately went to my local tire shop. They found the nail but did not take it out as they do not have the equipment to fix these no-flat tires. I promptly took it to a 2nd tire shop who confirmed the same issue but they did not have the parts to fix it. I did take an appointment with my local tesla SC but the earliest was 48+ hours away. Hence I decided to try out costco (since I knew that they do tire replacements for Teslas)

Well that explains it. You weren't clear in your original email, and you are inventing terms that don't exist in the automotive world. Just to let you know, there's no such thing as a "No Flat" tire that you can buy today for your Tesla. They are working on them, but right now, you can only get no-flat tires for things like dollies. You might have meant a run flat or self sealing tire, so I can see how you got so easily confused.

By the way, just about any normal tire can hold air for a while with a nail in it, so not sure why you're going on about a no-flat tire providing that capability. A self sealing tire should have held the air, so if you have self sealing tires, FYI, they are not working as advertised.

You're welcome in advance for the free automotive education.

Reactions: iciciid
Well that explains it. You weren't clear in your original email, and you are inventing terms that don't exist in the automotive world. Just to let you know, there's no such thing as a "No Flat" tire that you can buy today for your Tesla. They are working on them, but right now, you can only get no-flat tires for things like dollies. You might have meant a run flat or self sealing tire, so I can see how you got so easily confused.

By the way, just about any normal tire can hold air for a while with a nail in it, so not sure why you're going on about a no-flat tire providing that capability. A self sealing tire should have held the air, so if you have self sealing tires, FYI, they are not working as advertised.

You're welcome in advance for the free automotive education.

yes - that is probably the correct term (run-flat tire) which the tire techs used and what I meant. Thanks for the information (I do mean this in a genuine way :))