Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow to finish loading pages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
Referral Code
This morning I've been observing a strange behavior, which makes browsing painful. When I load a thread, it looks like the content has finished loading, but it doesn't scroll to the most recent unread post straight away. Also (Chrome on a Mac) the little TMC icon on the tab shows up as a blank page for a while. At first I couldn't understand why the forum pages loaded quickly but the threads wouldn't, but that was a red herring; the forum pages don't finish loading for a while either. The difference is that with the forum pages, nothing happens visually when the page finishes loading, while for individual threads, the scrolling to the first unread post doesn't happen until the end.

A bit more research shows that some chunk of javascript somewhere is trying to establish a secure connection to somewhere else, and it takes ~13 seconds to either succeed or fail and timeout, not sure which. Unfortunately I can't tell which. I also can't find a way to figure out what . I think it's in javascript because the Chrome "I'm still loading" spinner has gone away for all of that 13 seconds.

Actually, learning a bit more about modern browser stuff (I still use vi to edit html, myself...) I tracked it to:
importScripts('https://cdn.onesignal.com/sdks/OneSignalSDK.js');
@doug @danny

I was noticing that all the plugins seem to slow it down (twitter, facebook, etc.) depending on random times of the week. It's definitely educational to watch the bottom of your browser (at least Firefox) to see what it's loading (or trying to) as it processes a page. :D