Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow wifi connection, what’s everyone’s average connection speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is parked right next to the router with a gigabit up/down connection over the 5gz band. I average 10-20 mb/s up/down average. What kind of network speed is everyone else getting with their Tesla’s?

Attachments

• 6A031972-246B-472C-9AE2-CFF73B28A5FE.jpeg
    6A031972-246B-472C-9AE2-CFF73B28A5FE.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 237
I also have 1/1G fiber connection. The car is in the garage, and the WiFi 6 access point (AP) is two walls away in the living room.
I presume you're using the built-in web browser for this. My AP tells me that the car is connected at 390M/260M rx/tx rate. But I can see the MCU's Intel Atom is really struggling, especially with ads loading all over the place during the test.

Here are my results:

20211024_023806~3.jpg

For comparison, here are my results on my phone, standing in the garage next to my car:

Screenshot_20211024-014114_Speedtest~2.png

And standing with my phone under my AP in living room (best case scenario):

Screenshot_20211024-025829_Speedtest~2.png

I noticed that your ping is pretty high for a fiber connection. Some tips for improvement:
1) Create separate 5Ghz/2.4Ghz networks on AP. Connect Tesla to 5Ghz network.
2) Disable band steering. (e.g. let 5Ghz clients stay on 5Ghz only)
3) Enable 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz network, and select Highest transmit power. (enables highest bandwidth)
4) Upgrade to a WiFi 6 (ax) AP. (enables WiFi optimizations even if Tesla only supports WiFi 5 (ac))

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mercedes fan
I am very surprised to see how much faster of a connection you are able to get compared to me. I am able to get 500ish up and down on my iphone sitting in my car and you are right, the tesla web browser struggles while doing the test. My Fiber modem doesn't allow me to disable band steering, so I tried using a tp link repeater which identifies and rebroad casts the 5gz band and it made no improvement. My Fiber modem shows my Model Y is connected to the model with a 5gz band(via bandsteering). I Can't wrap my head around how I can improve the speed or if the wifi antenna on my car is defective.

I also have 1/1G fiber connection. The car is in the garage, and the WiFi 6 access point (AP) is two walls away in the living room.
I presume you're using the built-in web browser for this. My AP tells me that the car is connected at 390M/260M rx/tx rate. But I can see the MCU's Intel Atom is really struggling, especially with ads loading all over the place during the test.

Here are my results:

View attachment 724985

For comparison, here are my results on my phone, standing in the garage next to my car:

View attachment 724986

And standing with my phone under my AP in living room (best case scenario):

View attachment 724992

I noticed that your ping is pretty high for a fiber connection. Some tips for improvement:
1) Create separate 5Ghz/2.4Ghz networks on AP. Connect Tesla to 5Ghz network.
2) Disable band steering. (e.g. let 5Ghz clients stay on 5Ghz only)
3) Enable 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz network, and select Highest transmit power. (enables highest bandwidth)
4) Upgrade to a WiFi 6 (ax) AP. (enables WiFi optimizations even if Tesla only supports WiFi 5 (ac))