Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Wifi speed P3D 24.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Please anyone facing this issue, Wifi signal always 24mbps down and 6mbps up, some time jump to higher speed then switch back right away?

I have tried differnet channels and settings but all the same. Even I get the router inside the car for testing and still the same.

Also anyone know where is the antenna located?

Thanks in advance
Screenshot_2019-08-15-18-38-09.png

What year is your model 3? Older versions I believe only had 2.4ghz with B or G connectivity, I believe cars after mid 2018 have 5ghz capability. That signal is near perfect at -40.

Your speed is consistent with G connectivity. I'm in the IT industry and have a client with a Tesla connected to our UniFi network. I'll see tomorrow which data rate it connects at and report back.

I believe the build date of the car matters in terms of 5ghz support (could be wrong!). Here's a Tesla parked out front of my client about 60-70' away through several walls, connected to a UniFi UAC-AP-PRO access point, which supports both 2.4 and 5GHz . This is a Early 2018 model so far as I know.

Attachments

• tesla.PNG
    tesla.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 64
I'll add that many WiFi chipsets use low power mode when not actively doing anything. Try this - monitor it while you kick off an firmware or GPS map update or are actively using the car wifi and see if it changes. What you are seeing could be a lower power mode and lower speeds because it's idle.