Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slower Acceleration After 5.9 Update?

Acceleration After 5.9 Update

• Its Slower

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Its the Same

Votes: 48 81.4%
  • Its Faster

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed a drop in acceleration after updating to 5.9?

After the update my car felt (and still feels) noticeably slower. Others that have driven my car both before and after the update have noticed the difference too. Its still stupid fast, just not as stupid as before.

Last edited:
No its not a placebo. I let my two best friends borrow the car from time to time. Without telling them my thoughts or that the car had been updated, they both had the same reaction that "the car feels slower then before."

One of them borrowed the car for the weekend, and when he returned on Monday the first words out of his mouth was "did you change something? its slower." My other friend could tell just riding as a passenger.

It could be a coincidence. Maybe something busted and the software update just happened occur at the same time. Idk, but it feels slower.... :(

No its not a placebo. I let my two best friends borrow the car from time to time. Without telling them my thoughts or that the car had been updated, they both had the same reaction that "the car feels slower then before."

One of them borrowed the car for the weekend, and when he returned on Monday the first words out of his mouth was "did you change something? its slower." My other friend could tell just riding as a passenger.

It could be a coincidence. Maybe something busted and the software update just happened occur at the same time. Idk, but it feels slower.... :(

Maybe your friends are just growing accustomed to the crazy speed of the Model S? ;) I haven't noticed a difference in mine.

well when I had my car in for service last week they told me that they changed the way the contactors are opened and closed in v5.9 by now varying the timings to mitigate the balloon squeal sound. I guess this would imply that given a certain fixed time frame if the contactors are open for less time in v5.9 vs v5.8 this would suggest less power = slower acceleration when the pedal is mashed.

My .94 had to be redone because parts of it did not download properly so maybe you should take your car to a SC and have them check it out..I would assume you did reboot the screen and dash?

well when I had my car in for service last week they told me that they changed the way the contactors are opened and closed in v5.9 by now varying the timings to mitigate the balloon squeal sound. I guess this would imply that given a certain fixed time frame if the contactors are open for less time in v5.9 vs v5.8 this would suggest less power = slower acceleration when the pedal is mashed.
I wish you had gotten something in writing on this. I want more details!

Has anyone noticed a drop in acceleration after updating to 5.9?

After the update my car felt (and still feels) noticeably slower. Others that have driven my car both before and after the update have noticed the difference too. Its still stupid fast, just not as stupid as before.

I notice no difference in acceleration. after getting 5.9.

I'm with you on this one. I have a P85 and I do feel the difference. I don't think it's just getting used to the acceleration. I've always noticed that it feels like it pulls much stronger from a very slow roll that at say 40 mph. On the other hand yesterday I did briefly break the wheels loose on an acceleration test. It's enough that I was considering a service appt. Temps were about 80 degrees, dry pavement. Of course this is all feel of the pants testing and nothing scientific.