TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slower charging with 42.3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aSlowOldGUy, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aSlowOldGUy

aSlowOldGUy Member

Hello! I received 42.3 last week.

I charge on a 20A 120V connection with the 5-20 adapter from Tesla. Up until 42.3, the app reported 7 miles per hour. Now, the app is reporting 6 miles per hour of charge.

While this isn't TOO big of a deal (19 miles round trip to work) I was wondering if anyone has experienced any changes in their charge rate since the 42.3 update.

Since app hit at the same time as V9, I'm hoping that the charge rate hasn't changed, but just how it rounds it / calculates it in the app.

Anyone with any insight? A more conservative charge rate or is it something in the app, or is it just something else changed?

Thanks!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

I updated Saturday to 42.3 and I see no change in charging rates.

What is voltage being reported while charging? If it is lower than 120V that will impact the mph rate.

3. jasonh4451

jasonh4451 Member

I’m on 42.2 and since upgrading I’ve noticed that the iOS app reports inaccurate charge rates. Inside the car seems normal. iOS app often shows a different % (like 79% when the car shows 80%) and slightly slower charge rate too.

4. animorph

animorph Active Member

Could just be 7.0 changing to 6.9 MPH. Could be colder weather, though Orlando can't be too bad. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. RayK

RayK Active Member

Are you using an extension cord? My few times that I tried using one my rate went from 4MPH to 3MPH

6. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I noticed this too, I wasn't sure what changed (I am now on 42.4) but I'm sure I was charging previously at 70km/h but now highest I've seen is 62km/h. I charge to 75%.

Voltage and amps seem right (243v, 40amps) too.

7. aSlowOldGUy

aSlowOldGUy Member

I am, but that I've been using it since day one (well, day two). The only change was the software update.

8. aSlowOldGUy

aSlowOldGUy Member

Thanks, but nope - hit 58F here one night. Cold for us Floridians, but not exactly something that should impact the battery I'd say. Hit 80F today...

9. aSlowOldGUy

aSlowOldGUy Member

Thanks - reporting 120V, 16A, as expected. I'll keep an eye on it. Hoping it is a rounding issue.