TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Slower supercharging on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KarenRei, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Hopefully this thread will encourage more of the "woe is me" people to cancel their orders ;)

Did anyone else notice the speed on supercharging? 130 miles per 30 minutes. On a 220 mile car. So its not 30 minutes to 80% like with a Model S, it's 30 minutes to 60%. It's 40 minutes, an extra 10 minutes wait per stop, to 80%.

The reasoning is probably the same reason they're limiting the battery mileage warranty - they have to control warranty costs better on a more mass-market car, and thus are limiting cell wear more.

Has no effect on me - there's not a supercharger in my entire country, I'll be charging on CHAdeMOs at 43kW. But with superchargers limited to 66kW for a Model 3, that's not that much of a difference! ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

Where did you find this supercharger speed?

3. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Motortrend cites 130 miles charge per 30 minutes supercharging.

4. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Press Kit
    Press Kit | Tesla

Standard Battery
    • Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated)
    • Supercharging rate: 130 miles of range per 30 minutes
    • Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
    Long Range Battery - $9,000
    • Range: 310 miles
    • Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
    • Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)

• Informative x 6
  5. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

220 * .8 = 176miles
    130 miles charging per 30 minutes = 4.3 miles per minute
    176/4.3 = 41 minutes to 80%

• Disagree x 1
  6. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

That is tragically disappointing and absolutely a dealbreaker. This is a fundamental failure. Absolutely no way in software to adjust that so I'm 100% sure everyone is going to be stuck with "SuckerCharging" forever.

Tesla is Doomed! Cancel your reservation now! Steve would never have allowed this.

• Funny x 33
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Interesting that the standard battery is 32A vs 40A for the long range battery.

Assume smaller charger?

8. R.S

R.S Member

If it doesn't taper more above 60%. My 90D charges best from 0-55%, after that it starts to taper.

Generally supercharging is the only thing I think is disappointing on the Model 3. I really hoped for it to be a bit better, not worse, than on the Model S/X. Not even the 170 miles in 30 minutes of the "long range battery" are impressive.

• Like x 1
  9. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

This adds another paradigm to where to pull in when considering open supercharger slots! Slots paired with a model 3 would be preferred to those with an S or X due to the decreased amount of draw!

• Like x 4
  10. transpondster

transpondster Member

too early speculate, can't rule out possibility it is 300V so CHAdeMO speed would be in 28-38 kW range, although European deliveries being late maybe it will come with CCS 2.0 and HUD :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. timk225

timk225 Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Supercharging mean FAST charging?

Are we the guinea pigs who are going to be testing the new 2170 cells for Tesla?

Did the Model S 60 battery have a lower charge speed or did it also do 170 miles in 30 minutes?

And I noticed on My Tesla page that supercharging was listed as "pay per use" Where's my free 400 KW of Supercharging?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Lex

Lex Member

Umm so my Model S 70 typically takes at least 20 minutes to get to 50% and that gets me to the next Supercharger. This doesn't sound much different to me, that is how you can long distance travel if you want speedy charging.

It seems counter intuitive to macho human male instincts to pull over and take a break but most of the time it's actually a great idea and not a bad thing at all to stop every couple of hours for a break.

For the condo dwellers who will go to the urban SCs to charge, the idea will be to park your car and go do something for an hour or so. Also good for the long distance travellers who have an SC beside a great site, take advantage and range charge.

That's reality for now and it seems like a big change in your life but you'll survive ;)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Free supercharging is not included. IMO this was expected to keep purchase price down and desired to decrease local charging.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I would guess another 'benefit' is to discourage supercharging for locals (or taxi/uber/lyft) abusing it? Good. They call the 310 car 'long range' to imply traveling.

15. kbM3

kbM3 Member

I was holding out hope that the 2170's would work with supercharger V3.

Now, I'm thinking that will only apply to the Semi.

• Like x 1
  16. Gen3Joe

Gen3Joe Member

It's possible Tesla is anticipating with all the extra cars most supercharging sessions will be at half rate with two cars on each charger. Maybe they are just being conservative so that people are pleasantly surprised when they see a faster rate instead of the opposite.

Considering how much they are still anti-selling the 3 against the S I wouldn't be surprised to see them throttle the 3 to give the S priority at a supercharger.

• Like x 1
  17. Robert831

Robert831 Member

I was saddened by the lower charge rate. But then I considered that for me it really only comes into play maybe 2-3 times per year, where it may add about an hour per trip. So, 2-3 hours of my time per year? Not really such a big deal as I first imagined.

• Like x 3
  18. Beckler

Beckler Member

It could be that with a new cell, they're playing it safe by software limiting its charge rate at first. Maybe they want more fleet-wide experience with it before enabling higher charge rate.

• Like x 4
  19. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Tesla claims 170/30 min for the 75 Model 3. What do they claim for the 75 S and X?

20. R.S

R.S Member

0-80% in 30 minutes. So 190 miles for a Model X 75D for example.

• Informative x 2