Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slower supercharging on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was expecting Model 3 will charge (in terms of power) slower than Model S due to less cooling capability.
And it appears to be that way.

I was expecting the Model 3 to charge quicker than todays Model S, due to improvements in cell chemistry. Remember the 350kW charging is childs play tweet from Elon? If 350kW is childs play, than what is this?

Reactions: zmarty
If it doesn't taper more above 60%. My 90D charges best from 0-55%, after that it starts to taper.

It wouldn't be expected, but certainly is possible if they don't trust their chemistry. I guess we'll find out in time as more owners start reporting their experience.

And yeah, if you have to share a supercharger, do so with a 3 ;) Two 3s sharing a supercharger will hardly throttle at all, even if both arrived at the same time.

Reactions: AlanSqB
My guess is Tesla has limited the charging speed using software. They can't have Model 3 charging faster than Model S and X.
At least until they upgrade the batteries in those cars. They will do this early next year IMO and at that time push a software update to the Model 3's that will allow all of the newer Teslas to charge much faster.

But now even the Model 3 310 charges slower than any S, or X. 200 miles in 30 minutes shouldn't be too hard and 120 in 30 is actually rather bad.

Reactions: zmarty
I was expecting the Model 3 to charge quicker than todays Model S, due to improvements in cell chemistry. Remember the 350kW charging is childs play tweet from Elon? If 350kW is childs play, than what is this?
2170 is new form factor. Not new chemistry.
350kW is charger power. Not stall power output. 350kW charger can supply 4 stalls with almost no limitations due to charger sharing.
Tesla US plug nor Enhanced Type2 plug supports amps any higher than S/X can handle today. Nor can passenger vehicles charge any faster that S/X due to limited onboard cooling capability. This is why S/X 90-100kWh packs sometimes throttle down. Heat buildup.

Should I remind people that no other electric vehicle charge as fast as base Model 3 (except Model S/X)?

I would add my own philosophical view: "Be the best but not with a huge margin. This way competitors can smell the taste of victory the whole time you lead."

Last edited:
There are going to be tons of Model 3s flooding the superchargers in a years time. It doesn't make sense that Tesla would chose a module format that does not allow for faster supercharging. I suspect these are conservative estimates.
It's not the stall that costs lots of money. It's the power output. It doesn't matter is there 10x Model S's charging at 100kW rate or 20x Model3's charging at 50kW rate. Slight difference in parking space and stalls. Which does not cost a lot (sheet metal and some cables).

2170 is new form factor. Not new chemistry.
350kW is charger power. Not stall power output. 350kW charger can supply 4 stalls with almost no limitations due to charger sharing.
Tesla US plug nor Enhanced Type2 plug supports amps any higher than S/X can handle today. Nor can passenger vehicles charge any faster that S/X due to limited onboard cooling capability. This is why S/X 90-100kWh packs sometimes throttle down. Heat buildup.

Should I remind people that no other electric vehicle charge as fast as base Model 3 (except Model S/X)?

Hyundai IONIQ Electric Accepts Up To 70 kW From 100 kW CCS Charger - Video

Ioniq can.

It's not the stall that costs lots of money. It's the power output. It doesn't matter is there 10x Model S's charging at 100kW rate or 20x Model3's charging at 50kW rate. Slight difference in parking space and stalls. Which does not cost a lot (sheet metal and some cables).

I wasn't thinking about the cost. I was thinking about supercharger congestion. If you have a ton of Model 3s they will be using spaces for longer time periods forcing more folks to wait. It's to Teslas advantage to have all cars charge as quickly as possible.

The one thing no one is talking about is that NO OTHER CAR MFG has a charging network that can allow for longer range travel, only Tesla does. And the Tesla Supercharger, even at close to 100% charge still has a rate faster than any public DCQC available to other brands of EV's. Because of this, IMHO, Tesla is the ONLY EV that can be used for long distance cross-country driving. No other EV can be a practical Cross-Country vehicle.

jmho

I would guess another 'benefit' is to discourage supercharging for locals (or taxi/uber/lyft) abusing it? Good. They call the 310 car 'long range' to imply traveling.

But if you're only charging your battery halfway at each charger in order to just make it to the next one and charge again - because you don't want to spend over an hour charging your battery to 80-90%, what's the benefit of the long rage battery?

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Supercharging mean FAST charging?

Are we the guinea pigs who are going to be testing the new 2170 cells for Tesla?

Did the Model S 60 battery have a lower charge speed or did it also do 170 miles in 30 minutes?

And I noticed on My Tesla page that supercharging was listed as "pay per use" Where's my free 400 KW of Supercharging?

They never said the 3 was going to get that 400 allowance.

Small reminder, 90% of charging on Teslas is done at home. I think many folks overestimate the frequency in which they would exceed the vehicles range in any particular day.

Except that many soon to be Tesla owners are not able to charge at home. That is a frequent "oh don't worry about it" type comment that Tesla fans make that needs to be retired.