Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slower supercharging on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
13FC7638-FDF5-4A49-81A5-2EB3A9468C77.jpeg

Car is great. Same opinions as the Electrek view by James (red 3)

My Model 3 charged at 116kw from a fairly low charge up thru 50% full.
It rolls off slowly after about 2/3s full

I don’t have the full curve plottedbut it’s not bad at all
”not bad at all”?? 116kW into Tesla’s most efficient car also makes it Tesla’s fastest recharging car on mile per hour charging basis. #thingsTeslawon’tadvertise

”not bad at all”?? 116kW into Tesla’s most efficient car also makes it Tesla’s fastest recharging car on mile per hour charging basis. #thingsTeslawon’tadvertise
IIRC the LR battery is 78 kWh nominal, making the max charge rate ~ 1.5C. That is on par IIRC with recent Model S cars. From stories it sounds like the taper is no worse and perhaps improved, so all in all great news for the Model 3 battery.

I've been saying since forever that an average 1C charge rate going from 20% -> 80% SoC in the Model 3 will be as much we can somewhat realistically hope for and it does seem that Tesla has hit that bar. I'm really pleased since it will mean 4.5+ miles per minute charging at Supercharging stations in decent weather and flat terrain. My usual 250 one way trip will require about a 10 minute charging stop mid-way in a non LR Model 3, which is exactly the time we now stop anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: suwaneedad
Just a reminder... if you have charging data, be sure to include it here! :)

Model 3 Charging / Driving Data

You can either leave it in a comment, or request access to the sheet so that you can make changes at will :)

@KarenRei Some really good Supercharging curve information from Let the journey begin for you:

8-13%: ramped up from 70kW to 110kW gradually
14%: 110kW
30%-45%: 117kW
46%: 109kW
50%: 100kW
55%: 90kW
60%: 78kW
65%: 70kW
70%: 65kW

It looks like the long range Model 3 is going to be a Supercharging beast... :)

Awesome, 117kW is the highest reported yet! And some rather low SoC data too. Superb!

With aero wheel caps on, at "normal US highway speeds", the driving data seems to be around 240Wh/mi in good conditions. With respect to that and with good supercharging speeds, Model 3 can charge at nearly 500mph. ;)

Can't wait until superchargers come to Iceland where our top speed limit is only 56 mph ;)

Reactions: SteveG3