Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my new Model S 75D for about three weeks now and I love it. We've taken it from where we live in Northeast PA to Long Island, NYC, Boston and Ohio so far. We discovered on our road trips that we would only max out on our supercharging stops between 90-94 kW, never any higher, often in the 70s. We initially chalked it up to it being cold out, but I'd check on the Plug Share app and people in the same stalls hours prior would be in the 110s, plus there would be other cars there, so I figured the transformer wasn't too cold.

When we took our car in for a door handle fix, I told the technician about the problem and he said they'd take a look back at the computer and find out if they can see an issue. Spoke with our rep yesterday to let me know the car is good to go and she told me that on the new cars, they limit it to that 90-95 kW range to protect the battery. My response was, that's fine, but why does the computer tell me to charge for 25 minutes, and after I plug in, I see 35-40 minutes of charging time.

I'm well aware you pull at different speeds depending on temperature, how many cars are there, etc, but I find it hard to believe it's standard practice and I haven't heard anyone else with an issue on charging times versus the on-board computer. Can anyone confirm that supercharging kW speeds are limited to the low 90s for the newer MS?

Two different issues here— the max power the OP gets and the incorrect estimate of charging time.

For the former, what is your state of charge upon arrival? If you’re getting a charging estimate of 25 minutes you’re obviously not starting with an almost empty battery and you’re not going to see 100kW. Also it’s not about how many cars are there, it’s whether or not there is a car in your paired stall.

Two different issues here— the max power the OP gets and the incorrect estimate of charging time.

For the former, what is your state of charge upon arrival? If you’re getting a charging estimate of 25 minutes you’re obviously not starting with an almost empty battery and you’re not going to see 100kW. Also it’s not about how many cars are there, it’s whether or not there is a car in your paired stall.
Thanks for getting back to me. State of charge varied, but on our roadtrip to Ohio, we were averaging between 15-25% of battery remaining, sometimes in the single digits. It was often having us charge to 60-70% range. As for other cars, I never parked next to someone in a paired stall.

These are the charging stats gathered by a better route planner @blincoln for the MS 75D... I hit a peak of 98KW twice while supercharging this weekend driving between Houston and Dallas in my MS 75D - temp was in the 30-40s...after 50% SOC the charge rate slows (the blue dots below). The car consistently over estimated the predicted charge time by 5 minutes - e.g. said 25 mins of charge - took 20min. My goal was to arrive at the next supercharger around 15-20% SOC.
btx5-png.268781

A Better Routeplanner

Spoke with our rep yesterday to let me know the car is good to go and she told me that on the new cars, they limit it to that 90-95 kW range to protect the battery.
Geez, that's disturbing that a Tesla rep is saying that. It's not about "new cars". It's just how the 350V batteries have always been. It's lower voltage, so it's a lower power level. Mid 90's kW is about the best you can get.

I believed the 400v batteries can charge a little faster, peak out a bit over 100kw.

Note that the discrepancy between trip planner to charge for 25 min and the car saying 35 min Is only an issue if your car’s charge limit is same as what the trip planner suggest. If your car is set to charge to 80%, it will be different then trip planner time wanting to charge to 72%

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H