Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slowing down to 0 upon accelerator release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I recently got my Model X. The car has been great so far. However, wanted to confirm, with standard regen setting, upon releasing the accelerator pedal, the car's speed reduces to about 8 mph. Should it come to a complete stop? Is there another setting that allows the car to stop completely without requiring me to press brake for the very last part (from about 8mph to 0).

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I recently got my Model X. The car has been great so far. However, wanted to confirm, with standard regen setting, upon releasing the accelerator pedal, the car's speed reduces to about 8 mph. Should it come to a complete stop? Is there another setting that allows the car to stop completely without requiring me to press brake for the very last part (from about 8mph to 0).

Thanks for the help!

Nope. They'll regen down to about 8 mph. To come to a complete stop, you need to use the brake pedal.

with standard regen setting, upon releasing the accelerator pedal, the car's speed reduces to about 8 mph. Should it come to a complete stop?
It will, eventually. ;)

No, the car will not come to a complete stop within a few seconds unless you are going uphill. In most situations you will need to use the brake once you get below about 10mph.

There is an endless debate about how much low speed regen is the “right” amount, and different EV manufacturers take very different approaches. See Best And Worst Electric Cars For Regenerative Braking

I use TACC and Autosteer all the time in the city. When possible I'm always driving behind another car that will stop at a light so I don't have to. Other benefit is that I will automatically start to move once the light turns green.

Hi,

Thanks for the help!
No setting to enable this unfortunately. It does works for me though... when coming to a stop going up hill. :)

Thanks for the help!
Coming off the freeway, standard regen in my Model S slows all the way down to 1mph. I then tap the brake for hill hold setting.

Creep is set to off.

Now you can't always do this as someone behind you might say get up there and stop already. But I come off pretty fast and most of the time I have it timed pretty well all the way down to 1mph.

With Creep on your MX might keep a steady 8mph? Creep is for ICE.

IMHO, I feel that creep is significantly safer than creep off. Why? When pulling out of a parking space, you don't put your foot on the accelerator to move. You release your foot from the brake.

It's folks putting their foot on the accelerator that's often the cause for unintended acceleration into buildings.

Reactions: Dyspareunia
I took delivery with creep turned OFF but immediately set it to ON - my brain was wired for an ICE world, I guess, and that's what I'm used to. I believe I read that the car will roll backward if on an incline with creep set to off... Is that true?

Operational limitation of the induction and I believe also the switched reluctance motors that Tesla uses.

At those low speeds, the induction motors can't deliver effective regeneration because there's so little rotation of the rotor (induction motor torque is based on slip ratio - how much faster the field rotates than the rotor, or on regen how much faster the rotor spins compared to the field.)

The switched reluctance motor Tesla uses does have some permanent magnets to create a field and is a synchronous device, with field timing always phased to rotor rotation, but I don't think it can regen that low either (and there's no real energy to capture left, it's just driver feel.)

I think some other EVs blend brake application into the end of a one pedal stop, which could be an option for Tesla, but for the moment I'm happy with what they've done, with the clear separation between regen and braking.