TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slowing down to 0 upon accelerator release

Discussion in 'Model X' started by angel99, Aug 12, 2019.

1. angel99

angel99 Member

Hi,

I recently got my Model X. The car has been great so far. However, wanted to confirm, with standard regen setting, upon releasing the accelerator pedal, the car's speed reduces to about 8 mph. Should it come to a complete stop? Is there another setting that allows the car to stop completely without requiring me to press brake for the very last part (from about 8mph to 0).

Thanks for the help!

2. thimel

thimel Member

It sounds like you have “creep” set to “on”. This makes it creep forward like an automatic transmission. Even with it off, you will still typically have to use the brake for the last few mph of stopping.

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

On my first M3 test drive I've disabled creep and quickly figured out the timing to stop at traffic lights without touching brakes. Not always possible but doable.

4. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Tesla do not come to a complete stop on regen, you still need to use the brake to stop completely.

• Like x 6
  5. lakemirror

lakemirror Member

If I am rolling up to a stop behind another car at a light, I'll sometimes cheat and put TACC on to make the car stop by itself. If there's no car ahead of me that means I actually have to lift my foot and press the brake pedal....brutal.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 6
  6. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Nope. They'll regen down to about 8 mph. To come to a complete stop, you need to use the brake pedal.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It will, eventually. ;)

No, the car will not come to a complete stop within a few seconds unless you are going uphill. In most situations you will need to use the brake once you get below about 10mph.

There is an endless debate about how much low speed regen is the “right” amount, and different EV manufacturers take very different approaches. See Best And Worst Electric Cars For Regenerative Braking

8. angel99

angel99 Member

Thanks all for the replies, just wanted to ensure I am not missing any setting :)

• Like x 1
  9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

If functions very similar to an automatic. Take foot off brake and car moves.
    Press brake more than normal and holder will come on, so you can remove foot from brake.

Tesla does not implement one-pedal driving. The newer Leafs do.

10. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

True one pedal driving, Android Auto, and 360 degree camera are the three feature I really miss from my Bolt that I'd love to see Tesla implement - especially one pedal driving! It was so nice to literally never touch the brakes.

11. cucubits

cucubits Member

This is playing with fire.
    If you get used to this and one time TACC does not engage or fails to see the car...

• Like x 1
  12. crimsondr

crimsondr Member

I use TACC and Autosteer all the time in the city. When possible I'm always driving behind another car that will stop at a light so I don't have to. Other benefit is that I will automatically start to move once the light turns green.

13. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

This is only the case if you have creep turned on.

14. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

No setting to enable this unfortunately. It does works for me though... when coming to a stop going up hill. :)

15. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Coming off the freeway, standard regen in my Model S slows all the way down to 1mph. I then tap the brake for hill hold setting.

Creep is set to off.

Now you can't always do this as someone behind you might say get up there and stop already. But I come off pretty fast and most of the time I have it timed pretty well all the way down to 1mph.

With Creep on your MX might keep a steady 8mph? Creep is for ICE.

16. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

IMHO, I feel that creep is significantly safer than creep off. Why? When pulling out of a parking space, you don't put your foot on the accelerator to move. You release your foot from the brake.

It's folks putting their foot on the accelerator that's often the cause for unintended acceleration into buildings.

• Like x 1
  17. V1VrV2

V1VrV2 Member

I took delivery with creep turned OFF but immediately set it to ON - my brain was wired for an ICE world, I guess, and that's what I'm used to. I believe I read that the car will roll backward if on an incline with creep set to off... Is that true?

18. lakemirror

lakemirror Member

I'll take my chances. Jeez.

19. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Operational limitation of the induction and I believe also the switched reluctance motors that Tesla uses.

At those low speeds, the induction motors can't deliver effective regeneration because there's so little rotation of the rotor (induction motor torque is based on slip ratio - how much faster the field rotates than the rotor, or on regen how much faster the rotor spins compared to the field.)

The switched reluctance motor Tesla uses does have some permanent magnets to create a field and is a synchronous device, with field timing always phased to rotor rotation, but I don't think it can regen that low either (and there's no real energy to capture left, it's just driver feel.)

I think some other EVs blend brake application into the end of a one pedal stop, which could be an option for Tesla, but for the moment I'm happy with what they've done, with the clear separation between regen and braking.

• Informative x 3
  20. Phil Seastrand

Yes, this is true. However, with creep off, when you come to a complete stop the hill-hold will automatically engage to prevent this.