TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slug Lines - Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by republic, Jun 29, 2014.

1. republic

republic Member

Has anyone here picked up sluggers on I-95 in NoVa? It's been a great way to spread the word about Tesla and EV technology. So far I've given rides to over fifty people; most were impressed, and several folks are actively considering buying an MS.

2. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I live in NoVA and have no idea what that is.

[googles....]

Ah, ad-hoc car-pooling.... didn't even know that was a thing.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

One of my friends who lives in the area does this every work day to get HOV access. Interesting idea. He currently drives a Prius but hopefully someday will get an EV. Great idea to show people what the car is like.

4. iadbound

iadbound Member

I don't live down I-95 (thank goodness, I don't think i could take it), but I know people who have done it and found it very useful. If I recall, there are certain known pick-up/drop-off spots and preferred pick-up times. I'm sure my schedule wouldn't work, but if it's working for you that's great. Glad to see the car continues to impress.

5. ABVA

ABVA Member

Do it everyday of the work week, will not do it any other way. Not only it gives me access to HOV but also an opportunity to make new friends, spread awareness in general about EVs and in particular about TESLA. I never initiate the discussion but once anyone of the fellow riders makes a curious comment or as much asks a question, that starts a wonderful conversation to an otherwise Very QUIET ride.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

For those not familiar with the term, Slug Line, like me, here is some info: About Slugging

7. linkster

linkster Member

WOW, and what a great idea you have here! Your strategy is just plain awesome! I think this is potentially huge since Va (one of my states) is unfortunately a hater and an 80-90% EV wasteland.

Thanks!

8. republic

republic Member

A surprising number of people have come across Tesla at Tyson's Corner. Almost everyone who frequents the mall, it seems.

9. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Tesla store in Tysons is the number 1 foot traffic store, according to the previous Store Manager Beau.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You should make it a requirement of the people you pick up that you stop by the Tesla store on the way home:)

11. iadbound

iadbound Member

Funny :biggrin: I have stopped by the Tesla store in Tysons so many times it's just plain ridiculous. Moreover, the Tysons store can't even offer test drives -- I had to coordinate with the DC store to get that done.

Unfortunately, the Tesla store is not on the "slug route", but it would make a great detour!

12. Transepoch

Transepoch Member

The one in Montgomery Mall can also give test drives, and is a fair bit more convenient than going into downtown (if you don't already need to.). Worst case it provides an alternate for when your slugs have already booked-up everything on K Street.

13. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Ha! I didn't see this thread until now. I suppose one of you guys are one of the other Teslas I have spotted as I drive down to Dumfries exit myself :)

I generally have a fixed carpool at work since where I work doesn't have slug lines due to the issues with the location (thanks City of Alexandria! You also ruined the HOT/HOV expansion from going farther north than Edsel Rd... grrrrrr) But there have times when I have needed to pick up an extra body or two and have made use of the lines themselves. Have also ridden once.

I get mixed results in picking people up, mostly because people try to stick to the etiquette of not talking unless spoken to by the driver, but some people just can't resist so I make sure to answer any and all questions when I get the chance!

For anyone else who is passing through the area. If you ever catch yourself in downtown DC and need to get south in a hurry, stop by the Pentagon since you can find the labeled slug lines there and usually someone to take you to your destination. If you are going to the end of the HOV line (Dumfries) you want the 234 slug line (that's the road that the lot is on). Anyway, just throwing it out there!

14. republic

republic Member

Red P85, DC tag "END OIL"?

I usually pick up at L'Enfant Plaza and drop off at Horner Road. Slugging to Woodbridge has the added bonus of supercharging. I only get 35 miles a night on a 110V outlet; sometimes that's not enough. :)

15. CatB

CatB Member

Oh, that's you!!
    My sister (now fully Tesla/EV indoctrinated) was talking to fellow slugs about Tesla, and someone mentioned there had been an MS picking up riders. I work from home in MD, so not able to help, but do glad you are!

16. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Yeah, I think I remember tailing a red one getting off at horner one day. That or it was just coincidence. Don't recall the license plate. I did try flashing my lights and such but whoever it was didn't seem to notice.

In fairness it is very easy to just space out on the drive so I don't worry too much about it :D

Just know if you see a Blue MS heading south anywhere from 4-6PM it's probably me :D