Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sluggish acceleration from stop on autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When in autosteer and stopped behind traffic, the acceleration once traffic starts moving is agonizingly constipated. Often I'll assist by pressing the accelerator to keep the traffic behind me from getting annoyed (which can be fatal here in Florida). Traffic on the side will often take advantage of the gap between me and the car in front by pulling in.

Is it just me? Why is it that a car that can accelerate like a scalded cat behaves like this? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Reactions: Duckjybe
When in autosteer and stopped behind traffic, the acceleration once traffic starts moving is agonizingly constipated. Often I'll assist by pressing the accelerator to keep the traffic behind me from getting annoyed (which can be fatal here in Florida). Traffic on the side will often take advantage of the gap between me and the car in front by pulling in.

Is it just me? Why is it that a car that can accelerate like a scalded cat behaves like this? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Not missing a setting, it’s annoying, I hate having to press the accelerator to stay with traffic. However, it has slightly improved over software versions.

My plan when encountering this is to file a Bug Report " Tesla, Turtle mode take-off is a POS, can you fix please?"
w.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
In the end, this characteristic won't make me arrive at my destination any later, so who cares whether someone pulls in front of me when I'm on autopilot? I love that I can just kick back, relax and let the car drive. It's a different mindset that I am growing to appreciate in spite of my type A characteristics.

• Disagree
Reactions: jeffro01 and Dre78
I’ve never tried it, but does it accelerate better if only TACC is on?

I've tried it... and 'no' is the answer. :(

I find it interesting, to this note, that my X hammers the accelerator when moving along in traffic and the car in front of you either speeds up quickly, or gets out of the lane... but getting going from a stop is like watching a Sloth slowly move along a branch! :eek:

Reactions: markinsf
In the end, this characteristic won't make me arrive at my destination any later, so who cares whether someone pulls in front of me when I'm on autopilot? I love that I can just kick back, relax and let the car drive. It's a different mindset that I am growing to appreciate in spite of my type A characteristics.
Agreed. I often find that if I'm getting wound up and competitive in traffic the best thing is to turn on AP and let the car drive, Much less stressful overall.