Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sluggish Off the Line Acceleration Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ronin

Jul 24, 2018
USA
Over the weekend, went to test drive a Model 3. They only had a RWD LR available, so took that out. I've test drove the P85D in the past, which had the greatest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. So I assumed I would have something similar, albeit not as powerful as the P85D. But I have to say, I was slightly disappointed with the dead stop acceleration. Coming from a Audi S4, it felt a bit like coming off of 2nd gear (yes, a bit of an exaggeration) rather than the instant on torque I come to appreciate in EV. The Tesla Rep said this was because its a RWD, and the AWD should have a better take off. Of course, as I hit 20MPH, the juice kicked in and felt great.

But this 0-20 issue is a concern, since I am going to put down a final deposit on a AWD Model 3, but now strongly considering a P3D to guarantee the instant on torque from dead stop.

However, since I wasn't able to test drive a P3D, I'm wondering if those of you who have, did you experience the instant on dead stop acceleration or the slight sluggish start prior to the torque kicking in?

We also noticed this during our drive in the LR. Our co-pilot mentioned that 0-20 is tuned down a bit but releases more after that speed. He believes it is so there is less wheel spin/TCS activation. He admitted he didn't really have any idea though but was a guess and I could see that since more people will be buying this and mashing the pedal, the TCS would be on all the time. At 20+ I noticed a much better pull.

I think the permanent magnet motor is the culprit. My BMW i3 is the same way. Less punchy off the line but picks-up nicely once you get to around 20mph. Since the 3-AWD has an induction motor in the front, I think that will take care of the situation. By the way, I'm surprised they didn't put the induction motor in the rear and PM in the front. I guess too much of a change to the manufacturing process for that but would be ideal in any event.

I'm concerned about this as well...and have a test drive of a regular RWD model scheduled for this Saturday to confirm. Unfortunately, I suspect I will be disappointed relative to my P85+ and will need to test the AWD version to see if it is "close enough" to my current car. I know folks say the 30-50 and 50-70 are more important, but my use case has me doing a lot of city street driving and merging onto streets from parking lots. I REALLY appreciate the torque being there RIGHT NOW in the P85.

I think the permanent magnet motor is the culprit. My BMW i3 is the same way. Less punchy off the line but picks-up nicely once you get to around 20mph. Since the 3-AWD has an induction motor in the front, I think that will take care of the situation. By the way, I'm surprised they didn't put the induction motor in the rear and PM in the front. I guess too much of a change to the manufacturing process for that but would be ideal in any event.

They are the same motors In 3 as far as I know

I just test drove the Model 3 RWD last week. It was a huge let down compared to my Model S P85. Very sluggish off the line. I'm hoping to get a chance to test drive the Model 3 AWD soon to see if there's any improvement. I'm pretty sure it'll be better.

This sounds like how I felt when I test drive the Bolt EV. I knew it would not be as quick as my P85+, but I thought it would still have a nice torque hit off the line. Instead it just sort of built up with little drama. There was no "wow" factor.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and P85_DA
Believe the current Model 3 is corked.

From a dead stop Electric Vehicles have maximum torque and consume maximum current.

It may be that Tesla is initially limiting the amount of current going to the motors until it gets a bit up to speed. Will eliminate a lot of strain on the drive line and add a bit of range to the batteries.

If all things go well and Tesla gets some positive feedback data, perhaps, like the Model S and X 75s they will offer to uncork it in the future.

Believe the current Model 3 is corked.

From a dead stop Electric Vehicles have maximum torque and consume maximum current.

It may be that Tesla is initially limiting the amount of current going to the motors until it gets a bit up to speed. Will eliminate a lot of strain on the drive line and add a bit of range to the batteries.

If all things go well and Tesla gets some positive feedback data, perhaps, like the Model S and X 75s they will offer to uncork it in the future.
This early 0-60 test shows that Model 3 does have maximum torque from a stop. I wonder if at some point they dialed it back. I have a VBOX myself so I'll be interested to test it if I ever get my AWD. I know several people with LRs so I could do a comparison.
screen-shot-2018-01-06-at-10-18-23-am-e1515252383483.jpg

Reactions: apacheguy
I wonder why Tesla hasn't mentioned the 1/4 mile time for the performance model. Any guesses? I'd guess 11.5 - 11.7 at an actual track for a customer owned car driven by a customer (not a hand-picked unicorn model with custom firmware that Tesla loans to a magazine and gets tested on some down hill side road using VBOX with rollout and then altitude corrected). Keep in mind I haven't driven one yet, so just a guess. I predict a Motor Trend time of 11.3