TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sluggish Off the Line Acceleration Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ronin, Jul 24, 2018.

1. ronin

ronin Member

Over the weekend, went to test drive a Model 3. They only had a RWD LR available, so took that out. I've test drove the P85D in the past, which had the greatest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. So I assumed I would have something similar, albeit not as powerful as the P85D. But I have to say, I was slightly disappointed with the dead stop acceleration. Coming from a Audi S4, it felt a bit like coming off of 2nd gear (yes, a bit of an exaggeration) rather than the instant on torque I come to appreciate in EV. The Tesla Rep said this was because its a RWD, and the AWD should have a better take off. Of course, as I hit 20MPH, the juice kicked in and felt great.

But this 0-20 issue is a concern, since I am going to put down a final deposit on a AWD Model 3, but now strongly considering a P3D to guarantee the instant on torque from dead stop.

However, since I wasn't able to test drive a P3D, I'm wondering if those of you who have, did you experience the instant on dead stop acceleration or the slight sluggish start prior to the torque kicking in?

2. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

I drove a LR in Buena Park, and felt the same. Something was off in the "off the line" torque that I am used to in my S85. Maybe a firmware thing?

3. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

We also noticed this during our drive in the LR. Our co-pilot mentioned that 0-20 is tuned down a bit but releases more after that speed. He believes it is so there is less wheel spin/TCS activation. He admitted he didn't really have any idea though but was a guess and I could see that since more people will be buying this and mashing the pedal, the TCS would be on all the time. At 20+ I noticed a much better pull.

4. ronin

ronin Member

Now I'm worried about getting a Model 3. Might just stick it out with my S4 at this rate unless I know the instant torque is there on the AWD or P3D.

• Like x 1
  5. DanH

DanH Member

6. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I think the permanent magnet motor is the culprit. My BMW i3 is the same way. Less punchy off the line but picks-up nicely once you get to around 20mph. Since the 3-AWD has an induction motor in the front, I think that will take care of the situation. By the way, I'm surprised they didn't put the induction motor in the rear and PM in the front. I guess too much of a change to the manufacturing process for that but would be ideal in any event.

7. ronin

ronin Member

8. cab

cab Member

I'm concerned about this as well...and have a test drive of a regular RWD model scheduled for this Saturday to confirm. Unfortunately, I suspect I will be disappointed relative to my P85+ and will need to test the AWD version to see if it is "close enough" to my current car. I know folks say the 30-50 and 50-70 are more important, but my use case has me doing a lot of city street driving and merging onto streets from parking lots. I REALLY appreciate the torque being there RIGHT NOW in the P85.

9. Inside

Inside Member

I just test drove the Model 3 RWD last week. It was a huge let down compared to my Model S P85. Very sluggish off the line. I'm hoping to get a chance to test drive the Model 3 AWD soon to see if there's any improvement. I'm pretty sure it'll be better.

• Like x 1
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

They are the same motors In 3 as far as I know

11. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Gavine is correct. PM in the rear, induction in the front.

• Informative x 1
  12. cab

cab Member

This sounds like how I felt when I test drive the Bolt EV. I knew it would not be as quick as my P85+, but I thought it would still have a nice torque hit off the line. Instead it just sort of built up with little drama. There was no "wow" factor.

• Informative x 2
  13. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Experienced no such sluggishness on my RWD.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Believe the current Model 3 is corked.

From a dead stop Electric Vehicles have maximum torque and consume maximum current.

It may be that Tesla is initially limiting the amount of current going to the motors until it gets a bit up to speed. Will eliminate a lot of strain on the drive line and add a bit of range to the batteries.

If all things go well and Tesla gets some positive feedback data, perhaps, like the Model S and X 75s they will offer to uncork it in the future.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  15. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

This early 0-60 test shows that Model 3 does have maximum torque from a stop. I wonder if at some point they dialed it back. I have a VBOX myself so I'll be interested to test it if I ever get my AWD. I know several people with LRs so I could do a comparison.
    screen-shot-2018-01-06-at-10-18-23-am-e1515252383483.jpg

• Like x 1
  16. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

You guys are comparing P Model S to a non-P Model 3. Non-P cars, whether S or S, are a little sluggish off the line. My non-P Model S is the same way. Non-P cars just don't hit the ground the way P cars do.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. Inside

Inside Member

I wonder why Tesla hasn't mentioned the 1/4 mile time for the performance model. Any guesses? I'd guess 11.5 - 11.7 at an actual track for a customer owned car driven by a customer (not a hand-picked unicorn model with custom firmware that Tesla loans to a magazine and gets tested on some down hill side road using VBOX with rollout and then altitude corrected). Keep in mind I haven't driven one yet, so just a guess. I predict a Motor Trend time of 11.3

18. rdlink

rdlink Member

I drove one for a couple of days, and I agree. In fact, the owner from whom I rented it has a Model S, also. He said the 3 was very quick off the line.

19. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

As author of this review, and now owner of a P3D ... and former passionate owner of (manual shift) S4 and S5, I can tell you that off-the-line acceleration is unholy. Completely different animal than the Audis. (Never drove RS versions, though.)

• Like x 1
  20. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

There is a big thread about slowing down.. I also felt some tweaking happend.

Did Tesla just slow down our cars? | Tesla