Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sluggish Off the Line Acceleration Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are comparing P Model S to a non-P Model 3. Non-P cars, whether S or S, are a little sluggish off the line. My non-P Model S is the same way. Non-P cars just don't hit the ground the way P cars do.

I would disagree. I drove S75 and S85, both standard versions felt much faster from stop(0-30). 85D has even more oomph. I got those (non D) as loaners.

I wonder why Tesla hasn't mentioned the 1/4 mile time for the performance model. Any guesses? I'd guess 11.5 - 11.7 at an actual track for a customer owned car driven by a customer (not a hand-picked unicorn model with custom firmware that Tesla loans to a magazine and gets tested on some down hill side road using VBOX with rollout and then altitude corrected). Keep in mind I haven't driven one yet, so just a guess. I predict a Motor Trend time of 11.3

You should be correct with your 1/4 mile times. Around 11.5 @ 116mph

I do wonder if the difference is the amount of “jerk” (rate of change if acceleration is low). I measured my Lexus GX 470 acceleration with the VBOX and it showed a peak g force of .76g which is more than the .6g or so that the Model 3 pulls. Subjectively the Lexus seems very fast off the line. However the acceleration quickly drops off and it goes 0-30 in 3.0s vs the reported 2.2s for the Model 3.

As author of this review, and now owner of a P3D ... and former passionate owner of (manual shift) S4 and S5, I can tell you that off-the-line acceleration is unholy. Completely different animal than the Audis. (Never drove RS versions, though.)

That is awesome to hear. I'm putting in my order for a P3D today! Thanks man!

Also, as a co-manual S4 driving.... do you miss the clutch? I'm feeling some separation anxiety... :/

The only reason anyone ever gets a P100 vs a 100D is because of the speed. The price differential is enormous between a P and a non P.

The price differential is enormous between the 3 and the S.

Expectations of the 3 somehow being twice as good at half the price of the S is not fair nor realistic.

Poor Elon having to antisell the 3 for a year and way undersell the LR range proves the value is too good.

I don't know if LR is detuned or not via software but even if it were - I'd still take it over a Bolt.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and gavine
Believe the current Model 3 is corked.

From a dead stop Electric Vehicles have maximum torque and consume maximum current.

It may be that Tesla is initially limiting the amount of current going to the motors until it gets a bit up to speed. Will eliminate a lot of strain on the drive line and add a bit of range to the batteries.

If all things go well and Tesla gets some positive feedback data, perhaps, like the Model S and X 75s they will offer to uncork it in the future.

Don't count on it, the issue is the PM motor which is very maxed out. The RWD 3 can't be compared to S models with induction motors.

Weight is 12-18% less than a comparable S. Power is 20-32% less and torque is similar. S still reigns in the power-to-weight ratio.
LR model 3 weighs ~ 3800lb vs base Model S 75D weighs ~4600lb, that is More than 20% weight difference even with base model S.
Ofcourse 75D has lot more horse power. If you look at standard Model S85, weight is not much different from 75D, but torque is inline with Model 3 (though more HP).

Still, I do believe it has been tamed intentionally by Tesla and I do not see any reason a run of the mill BMW 330i with ICE can beat it to 0-30 despite having instant electric motor torque, more HP.

We can only speculate reasons for now, like drive train longevity or to differentiate between PAWD and Model 3 etc.
But I do hope they will release some more later when sales drop a little bit after Federal credits vanish.

My 3 LR RWD does feel slightly soft off the line but then goes like a bat out of hell. I suspect they’re trying to reduce driveline shock a bit to cut down on potential drive unit failures.

I think it could be a combination of not wanting to destroy tires, gears, passengers' necks, and possibly even the motors. It seems that without some sort of soft start, the motor could draw enough power from a dead stop to damage itself over time. Hence the warning on the Ludicrous-equipped cars about accelerated motor wear.