Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SM to DTLA Commute via CP Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Moving to LA this summer and I have a few questions. If my commute were from Santa Monica to DTLA would the CP sticker save me any time? Or are all lanes on the 10 jammed during rush hour? What about CP lanes on all highways in general during rush hour. Will a CP sticker make much of a difference? Thanks.

Hi all. Moving to LA this summer and I have a few questions. If my commute were from Santa Monica to DTLA would the CP sticker save me any time? Or are all lanes on the 10 jammed during rush hour? What about CP lanes on all highways in general during rush hour. Will a CP sticker make much of a difference? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the 10, (it's not near me), but I certainly do enjoy using the CP lanes here in the LA basin. I don't know how much time they actually save me but they sure do make a big psychological difference any time of the day or night! :biggrin:

As said above, no carpool lane on the 10 but at least you're going against the heavy traffic at those times. The annoying thing is there were carpool lanes at other parts of the 10 but they were replaced by the Fasttrak toll system which exempts carpools but not EVs, and they may extend it to take over even more carpool lanes next year. In general, carpool lanes will move faster than regular traffic during rush hour but sometime they're just as bad. I do find the sticker useful for the 210 freeway.

Yep. But look at it this way: At least you don't have to put those hideously ugly stickers on your beautiful Model S!

At least the SM->DTLA->SM commute is a bit better for traffic than a DTLA->SM->DTLA commute...

And... welcome to the neighborhood! :)

Thanks. Google maps says the commute would be about 35 min during rush hour each way. Sound right? My alternative is to get a place in DTLA (although there are a million other options too). From what I've read online the South Park area is nice.

Off the top of your head do you know if many apartment complexes in SM provide 240V charging in tenant parking spaces?

The annoying thing is there were carpool lanes at other parts of the 10 but they were replaced by the Fasttrak toll system which exempts carpools but not EVs...

Wait, what? Does that mean the white stickers don't do any good in the Fasttrak lanes?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Google maps says the commute would be about 35 min during rush hour each way. Sound right? My alternative is to get a place in DTLA (although there are a million other options too). From what I've read online the South Park area is nice.

Off the top of your head do you know if many apartment complexes in SM provide 240V charging in tenant parking spaces?

Yep, 35 minutes sounds about right, give or take. WAY better than going the other direction. :)

I'd be surprised if you found many (or any) apartments in SM that provided 240V outlets. Even finding one with a 120V outlet you could use could be tricky, I suppose.

Santa Monica does have some free level 2 public charging stations, so that may be helpful? Virginia Avenue Park and Santa Monica Airport both have free charging and free parking (though not overnight). And they also have free charging in paid lots at Santa Monica Place, the Pier parking lot, and City Hall. I think there may be a couple of others scattered around town, too.

Yea figured. I think I need to delay the dream until I'm a homeowner. Ah well.

Don't give up yet! ;)

Have you actually looked for charging stations yet on plugshare.com? Perhaps you could charge during the day, while at work? Might your employer install a charger for you?

Though not ideal from a convenience or battery-life perspective, if you're doing mostly the SM/DTLA round trip every day, you'll have plenty of juice to go for a few days between charges. And some apartment buildings will let you install an outlet if you're willing to pay for it. It all depends on the landlord, of course...

Just so people don't get confused, while that's true in LA, in the SF bay area white sticker EVs can use the FasTrak HOT lanes free.
Unclear what the FasTrak HOT lane is? Mostly just use the northbay bridges, mid-day, when I use them.

In that I am retired and don't have a commute anymore, it is my intention to temporarily tape the lovely key symbol in the little fixed windows in the back. As someone else noted, affixing the sticker to the side of the car is only "Suggested."