Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small accident - OK to go to a non-Tesla certified shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sitting in a parking lot and some guy swiped me. He was okay about it and it’s all covered by insurance.

The fix will include a small dent removal and a respray, plus replacing the plastic wheel arch trim. I’m also tempted to just polish out the scratches and leave it as is…

Would there be an issue if I took it to a non-certified Tesla shop? I have a friend who has a car shop. He won’t be able to source the plastic trim but I’ll get it on eBay.

Also still waiting for a cost estimate. Anyone wants to venture a guess?

Attachments

• EAB9E6BD-C46E-42C1-936A-53C55B870129.jpeg
    EAB9E6BD-C46E-42C1-936A-53C55B870129.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 99235B7D-79BF-4BE4-91EC-1E7212946780.jpeg
    99235B7D-79BF-4BE4-91EC-1E7212946780.jpeg
    854.9 KB · Views: 109
I was sitting in a parking lot and some guy swiped me. He was okay about it and it’s all covered by insurance.

The fix will include a small dent removal and a respray, plus replacing the plastic wheel arch trim. I’m also tempted to just polish out the scratches and leave it as is…

Would there be an issue if I took it to a non-certified Tesla shop? I have a friend who has a car shop. He won’t be able to source the plastic trim but I’ll get it on eBay.

My daughter scratched a friend's MY at church a couple of months ago when she tried to parallel park behind it. Only the plastic bumper piece was scratched (not the plastic wheel arch or the body panel like yours) and it didn't look worse than yours. He took it to a certified body shop and they tried buffing/repaint, but determined that it wouldn't work, so the bumper ended up being replaced at a Tesla SC. Cost $853 (body shop's quote was close to $1,000). Given this, I would guess your damage could be in the $2,000 range.

Since it's covered by insurance, why not go through a certified body shop?

Reactions: howardnj
You absolutely can but getting the parts are the issue as stated. But the pre painted parts have in the past had paint matching issues depending on color. I’ve done it as my neighbor owns a body shop and he just computer matched the color and it was perfect. Also have used Tesla certified and it was great as well. Honestly don’t know if the certified shops have sooner access or they all get in a queue? Seems like it took a while both times.

Since you are in New Jersey, Branning Automotive is Tesla certified. They are certified and do repairs for some of the car rental agencies.

Attachments

• Branning Automotive IMG_9535.JPG
    Branning Automotive IMG_9535.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 13