Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small chip in rear window. Cause for concern?

Darthbenji

Mar 27, 2018
Ontario
C471F108-FC45-4ABE-A7C2-10E1FB267719.jpeg
I have a small chip right where the glass meets the trunk cover. It’s about the size of half a pencil eraser. Should I be worried it’ll spread. Can a chip in this location be filled?

Darthbenji

Mar 27, 2018
Ontario
Called a couple places to make an appointment. Both said tempered glass can’t be repaired and that the rear glass is always tempered, unlike the windshield which is laminated. Both were surprised the entire glass didn’t shatter.

yerEVan

Dec 29, 2018
Near Philly
458CABCC-CE84-4060-B450-DBDEEB3C68F5.jpeg
This actually may not spread. I have an almost identical chip in my roof glass at edge. Took it to Safelite. They said they don't fix Tesla roofs. But he said because it has a beginning and end that it will not spread. That was 6 months ago and it has not grown.

• Informative
Reactions: Darthbenji

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey
Called a couple places to make an appointment. Both said tempered glass can’t be repaired and that the rear glass is always tempered, unlike the windshield which is laminated. Both were surprised the entire glass didn’t shatter.
That sucks. And the fact that the chip is on the edge of the glass would make it more difficult to repair (if it was repairable) from what I read. If you have comprehensive coverage you may be able to get it replaced at low to no cost (depending upon your deductible). Check with your insurance company.

chickensworth

May 14, 2018
las vegas
repair it just for piece of mind... safelite repaired a similar chip in mine for less than 100 bucks... if they won't repair it, i'd just wait till it cracks if it does. Could be perfectly fine in the end.

Reactions: C141medic

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
repair it just for piece of mind... safelite repaired a similar chip in mine for less than 100 bucks... if they won't repair it, i'd just wait till it cracks if it does.

... and double check your insurance provision for glass replacement deductible.
... lower the deductible, if necessary.

Darthbenji

Mar 27, 2018
Ontario
Went to two places today. The first was a franchise type place. Said nothing they could do. The guy called it a ‘shale’ and said it’ll eventually crack. Can’t fix edges.

Second place was more local business. He said it would be tough but he could probably back fill it.

Gonna go with the guy that will try.

Andy_STL

May 6, 2019
Saint Louis
Went to two places today. The first was a franchise type place. Said nothing they could do. The guy called it a ‘shale’ and said it’ll eventually crack. Can’t fix edges.

Second place was more local business. He said it would be tough but he could probably back fill it.

Gonna go with the guy that will try.
I had a very similar chip in mine last week. It began to spread slightly after a couple days. Took it to Safelight and although they said it would be a tough job, they were able to fill it and prevent any further spreading. Was also fully covered by my insurance w/o a deductible.

joonrhee

Jul 3, 2019
Fullerton, CA
Yesterday on my way back from work, a small rock hit my front windshield. It didn't crack it or anything but it made a dent. When I touch it, I know it's been hit by a rock because it does have a very small dent (like a very small chip) but it is not fully penetrated through the glass nor it has a sign of cracking (like crack lines?). I'm not sure if you can see from attached picture but it's there. I checked youtube videos on how to fix a windshield chip but those damages were mostly bigger than mine. So I wanted to ask the community here if this is something that needs fixing or just keep driving. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 12

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey
Yesterday on my way back from work, a small rock hit my front windshield. It didn't crack it or anything but it made a dent. When I touch it, I know it's been hit by a rock because it does have a very small dent (like a very small chip) but it is not fully penetrated through the glass nor it has a sign of cracking (like crack lines?). I'm not sure if you can see from attached picture but it's there. I checked youtube videos on how to fix a windshield chip but those damages were mostly bigger than mine. So I wanted to ask the community here if this is something that needs fixing or just keep driving. Thanks!
I had a small chip on my Subaru windshield and was able to fix it with a chip repair kit myself. The best time to take care of it is before it develops cracks. I used this one and fixed my chip perfectly and no issues in over a year.
Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPS4APU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WAcCDb84MCVB7

joonrhee

Jul 3, 2019
Fullerton, CA
I had a small chip on my Subaru windshield and was able to fix it with a chip repair kit myself. The best time to take care of it is before it develops cracks. I used this one and fixed my chip perfectly and no issues in over a year.
Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPS4APU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WAcCDb84MCVB7

How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GFS2C8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AOUT97QIB451U&psc=1 This one comes with razor blade as well?

Would you recommend still fixing it even the depth of such small dent is probably about 1/8 of the windshield thickness?

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey
How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GFS2C8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AOUT97QIB451U&psc=1 This one comes with razor blade as well?

Would you recommend still fixing it even the depth of such small dent is probably about 1/8 of the windshield thickness?
Can’t speak as to the quality of that one but I’m sure it’s similar to what I got. If it was me, i’d fix it because you never know when a tiny chip can turn into a big crack. And for $10 it’s well worth it.

joonrhee

Jul 3, 2019
Fullerton, CA
Can’t speak as to the quality of that one but I’m sure it’s similar to what I got. If it was me, i’d fix it because you never know when a tiny chip can turn into a big crack. And for $10 it’s well worth it.

Ok, thanks! One more question. Do you know if the dent will still be visible even after fixing it? Does fixing it restore the dented part to its original form?

davewill

Feb 5, 2014
San Diego, CA, US
I had a tiny chip like that on my RAV4EV and had a glass guy look at it. He said it wasn't a danger to spread and that it he wouldn't try to fix it. I'm not saying that it's OK in your case, I can't even see it in your photo. I'd have an expert take a look.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC