Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Claims suits agains Exxon and others for AGW disception?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Denialist drivel.

We know with high certainty a lot about AGW, while attribution is always a preponderance of evidence.

I didn't realize that we know "a lot" with certainty about AGW.

How many facts are there about AGW?

Do we know with certainty how much warming is deforestation, variations in solar radiation, blacktop and the urban concrete heat island effect, black carbon and ash from wood-burning for heat or cooking, forest fires and volcanoes? (One fireplace puts out as much 2.5 particulate as approximately 100 ICE cars), mid Atlantic Ridge vents and the massive thermal activity under Greenland, methane from livestock and other sources (apparently far more volatile than carbon)?

If you think the above human and natural phenomenon and others do not influence climate that would be denial! Stating that answers to the above are not settled science does not make one a denialst! The better we understand the above interactions, the better we can address the problem.

I didn't realize that we know "a lot" with certainty about AGW.

You're missing the point. We know we're adding ~1.5w per sq meter from the CO2 we've added. We know A LOT based on just that.

It's really hard not to be REALLY angry. We've known about this for >100 years. When are we going to start taking serious action? I'm watching ash fall outside my window right now......... we've never had a fire up here in the last 20 years so intense that it sends ash ~70 miles. Probably has something to do with the record drought.....

Reactions: dhrivnak
YEAH!! That's what I'm talking about! Time for accountability!

'Ultimately, such court cases could pin some responsibility for worsening extreme weather events on to the emitters of climate-warming greenhouse gases, said Joanne Zimolzak, a partner at global law firm Dentons.

The Washington-based lawyer drew a parallel with lawsuits against big tobacco companies in the 1990s. The cases ended in multibillion-dollar settlements by the tobacco industry as a consensus built around the scientific finding that an increased likelihood of lung cancer could be attributed to smoking.

"That was a linchpin in actually holding these companies responsible," Zimolzak said in a phone interview.

"(Scientists) are now able, because of the advances in the science, to say that climate change made the impact of an extreme weather event much greater. And so from there you can then look at who is responsible."'