TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Small crack in CF near the bottom pan by driver door

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, May 16, 2016.

1. asgard

asgard Member

I noticed a couple of small cracks on the carbon fiber at the bottom of the vehicle where the aluminum plate bolts are. Th see are about 0.25 inch, not too deep. Looks like I might have bottomed out on a speed bump as there are scrapes near the crack.
    How does CF behave with cracks?
    Do they spread with age? Fixing it may involve removing the entire rear panel and that could prove costly. Is it worth repairing? Looking for advice.

2. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

That is not a stress point so the cracks shouldn't spread. It would be a major undertaking to remove because it is bonded to the body and the rear bulkhead. If you are worried about it you could use some bigger fender washers on the bolts.

3. Habious

Habious Member

If you have time, could you take/post some pics of the cracks?

4. asgard

asgard Member

Here is what it looks like. It looks like a small rock may have been kicked back from the front tires at speed.
    It's about 0.5in end to end.

Attached Files:

5. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

#5 MitchJi, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Why not repair the crack?:
    carbon fiber repair kit - Google Search

Maybe not:
    Are DIY Carbon Repair Kits Safe or Sketchy?

6. asgard

asgard Member

7. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

I agree and in any case it should be much better than a bigger washer

But I'd still I'd investigate the kits and CF DIY repairs a little bit before I did it, to be sure that I did the best possible job. I'd also investigate hiring someone to do the repair. It might not cost very much and the quality might be much better.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

It doesn't look bad and I'd just fill it in personally with a small resin coat, sand, wet sand, little primer, and then a quick overspray with a paint can of the matching color. Then run a buffer on it to melt / blend in the paint. Its also under the car so you don't have to be all to picky as if it was in a highly visible area.

9. asgard

asgard Member

That turned out fine. It was not a crack in the CF but the top layer of epoxy had cracked. I've coated it with epoxy and now I need to find the matching color.
    Does Tesla sell the paint?
    Thanks.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I know Tesla sells the touch up paint, not sure if they sell the spray can. You can always find the matching Lotus color and order it online or possibly call / goto your local auto parts store to see if they have the matching Lotus color in a spray.