TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Small Damage to Bumper - Turning in at end of Lease

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BZM3, Nov 11, 2019.

1. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Hello
    Someone bumped into my rear bumper causing a small scratch, literally smaller than a dime. I am curious if when turning in my car at the end of the lease Tesla will give me a hard time? In my lease agreement there is of course the provision that I am responsible for the cost of "repairing wear beyond that reasonably expected with ordinary, everyday use and maintenance according to this lease.... it includes... dents, scratches, gouges or cracks in the vehicles external parts.."

Are small bumper scratches considered wear beyond that reasonably expected with ordinary, everyday use? Especially for a city driver. It's a 3 year lease, I cant imagine less than 95 percent of leased vehicles coming back with small bumper damage or scratches?

It's a very broad lease clause, and seems very subjective.. anyone have any experience with this?

2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

No experience with Tesla, but with my GM lease it was all very specific (it was similarly vague at the beginning of the lease). There is a particular size & number of dents allowed per panel, and they send an end-of-lease packet with a plastic measuring card (a facsimile of it is in the link on page 13 but in the physical packet it is plastic):

https://www.gmfinancial.com/content/dam/gmf/eol/pdf/GM-2016-EndLease-0716.pdf

In any case I had a few dents (some landscaper dropped a ladder on my hood at one point and I had someone push out the dent but the paint cracked) - but it was small enough it was not an issue.

See link from @derekmw below - very helpful, looks like Tesla is similarly specific.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. derekmw

derekmw Member

Here is Tesla's excessive wear terms:
    Excess Wear and Use Guide

The below type of scratches/dents/chips are acceptable without charges...but if beyond what's listed, then they can charge you for it.

For Scratches:
    Scratches that do not break the paint that can be buffed out during vehicle reconditioning, or scratches that break the paint that are less than 4” in length (maximum of three per panel)

For Dents:
    Dents and dings that do not break the paint that are less than 2” in diameter (maximum of two per panel)

For Chips:
    10 or less chips measuring less than 1/8”

etc

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

When I rent a car, a scratch or small dig less than 1" is ok. See contract.

• Like x 1
  5. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Super helpful thank you! Looks like this one falls under "Normal" wear as it is a scratch that broke the paint but is less than 4" long... Hopefully the chart stays the same 2 and a half years from now! ;)

6. cheeseless

cheeseless New Member

How does Tesla handle scratches on a lease return if larger than the size you indicate? Do you just pay Tesla for the repairs, or are you required to handle it at a body shop yourself? My understanding is that parts are so behind schedule it takes months to get a body shop repair on your own...

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

There are also lots of "Bumper Medic" and paintless dent removal companies that specialize in repairing things like this, prior to returning lease cars. They are quick and relatively inexpensive.

Interesting how forum posters will be all over any imperfections when they take delivery of a new car, but seem to want to gloss over them as being insignificant when they become the seller/returner of their used cars :)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Print out now and keep.

• Like x 1