Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small front display for Model 3/Y - Fits inside AC slot (pics, vid and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both of the options on their page say support kph and mph. How do you know which to buy?
You will need to tell the place you are buying it from that it is for a U.S. or U.K. car and that you need MPH.

Edit: Unless there is now a new version with a built in setting that you can adjust? Maybe I got an early version that was KPH only? Either way, I'd ask the sop you're buying from to be sure you get MPH.

Reactions: Brou
Pull your entire front dash off and you will see exactly where the air comes out. Tell me where you see the openings. 😁 👍
I don't need to pull the dash off, I put my hand right where your picture shows you put this and that is where the air is coming from. (But it could be because I have it set to blow directly on me, and maybe you have it split to blow to either side of you.)

I don't need to pull the dash off, I put my hand right where your picture shows you put this and that is where the air is coming from. (But it could be because I have it set to blow directly on me, and maybe you have it split to blow to either side of you.)
Ok, bro. Not gonna argue with you about something I own and use, but if you ever want to know, there is a great video on YouTube that will show you how the AC works and why I am saying that it doesn't block the air.
But to each his own. Enjoy.

Ok, bro. Not gonna argue with you about something I own and use, but if you ever want to know, there is a great video on YouTube that will show you how the AC works and why I am saying that it doesn't block the air.
But to each his own. Enjoy.
Maybe your car works differently? o_O

The vents work by air blowing up from the gap in front/below the device to direct the vertical path of the air that comes from behind where you have the device...

I just stuffed a paper towel in where you have it and when I turned the fan on it blew it out. If I hold the paper towel in it greatly cuts down on the air flow.

So for anyone that cares about direct air flow I suggest that you test it out yourself.

Maybe your car works differently? o_O

The vents work by air blowing up from the gap in front/below the device to direct the vertical path of the air that comes from behind where you have the device...

I just stuffed a paper towel in where you have it and when I turned the fan on it blew it out. If I hold the paper towel in it greatly cuts down on the air flow.

So for anyone that cares about direct air flow I suggest that you test it out yourself.
I think the OP has his air aimed upward. If that is so, there is a second baffle that opens that lets air into the second grill on the bottom (the strip right above the wood), so that is probably why it doesn't feel blocked at all.

You probably have the air aimed downward, in which case all the air is coming from the lateral section that shoots straight out. That display piece would block the airflow coming straight out and directly in the center, but the rest should still escape from the side because the slit is continuous. More on how the air direction is controlled from here:

Things will also vary depending if you have air going to windshield and down to feet (would reduce the volume of air coming out of slit).

Last edited:
Maybe you should watch the videos so that you understand how it works. The guy even points right at the main vent and says this blows toward you. The main air does come from directly behind the steering wheel. The air you are talking about does come from the center but comes out vertically from the grilled section in front of the main slit to control the vertical path of the air.

If the air was coming from the center my paper would have blown toward the door, but it actually blew straight at me... Because that is where the main airflow comes from. (At least when you have it directed in a single path straight at the driver.)

Last edited:
Mine arrived today at last (ordered exactly 3 weeeks ago).

First impression is good :)

Screenshot 2022-08-29 190110.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-29 190147.jpg

:) .. you definitely block that section but the AC blows as usual, w/o any negative impact. You will partially miss the AC blowing straight in your face, that's all.

The good part is that you can mount it far away on the dash, exactly next to the windshield (with a small 3D printed support) and you will have it like a HUD. I'm planning to do that actually (and use some ASA as printing material).

:) .. you definitely block that section but the AC blows as usual, w/o any negative impact. You will partially miss the AC blowing straight in your face, that's all.

The good part is that you can mount it far away on the dash, exactly next to the windshield (with a small 3D printed support) and you will have it like a HUD. I'm planning to do that actually (and use some ASA as printing material).
If you end up 3d printing, can you tell me who you are going through to get it done?

Teaser: V1.0 - prototype phase - printing :D ...
Very angular, no refinement - but if it will keep the display nice, the case can be made to blend nicely with the dash I guess.

I had to go through several iterations with the "clips". This contraption is supposed to clamp onto the sound bar (where the dash meets the windshield), perfectly centred to the steering wheel.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 014620.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-31 014643.jpg

Teaser: V1.0 - prototype phase - printing :D ...
Very angular, no refinement - but if it will keep the display nice, the case can be made to blend nicely with the dash I guess.

I had to go through several iterations with the "clips". This contraption is supposed to clamp onto the sound bar (where the dash meets the windshield), perfectly centred to the steering wheel.

View attachment 847184View attachment 847185
much like
good job