Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small front display for Model 3/Y - Fits inside AC slot (pics, vid and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teaser: V1.0 - prototype phase - printing :D ...
Very angular, no refinement - but if it will keep the display nice, the case can be made to blend nicely with the dash I guess.

I had to go through several iterations with the "clips". This contraption is supposed to clamp onto the sound bar (where the dash meets the windshield), perfectly centred to the steering wheel.

View attachment 847184View attachment 847185
Looks good. What's the plan for the cord? Make a 4-5mm hole for that connector and cord to fit through? Or maybe a square opening (roughly same size opening) at the bottom, back part of the display holder?

I forgot to add the photo with the hole underneath ... in my defense, it was 2AM :)
Screenshot 2022-08-31 100608.jpg

Here we go guys (and girls) ... the stl (and 3mf format) models for the contraption. It is free to use and modify as you please - just please give the proper credits if you publish it somewhere. The printing positioning captured in the files is the one that will provide the best printing results. Use supports everywhere and print with 0.2mm layer (or more, if you have a bigger extruder). The material should be ABS or ASA due to their natural temperature and UV resistance - needed when it sits on a hot dash in the sun.

Screenshot 2022-09-02 012733.jpg

LHD files are for the ones with the steering wheel on the left side of the car (70% of the world basically) while the RHD are for the ones who drive on the wrong left side of the road, meaning the steering wheel is on right hand side. This mentioning is needed because the model is highly asymmetrical, following the curvature of the dash.

This is the content of the attached zip file.

Screenshot 2022-09-02 011856.jpg

The print in the pictures is done using ABS (and it came out pretty nice, if you ask me:) - black matte finish).

20220902_003705.jpg 20220902_003712.jpg 20220902_003721.jpg

And here it is mounted on my car:

20220902_005539.jpg 20220902_005654.jpg 20220902_005803.jpg

Attachments

• model3_speedo_holder.zip
    117.4 KB · Views: 38
The thing is - it is only 5H to print it and the cost of materials and power used is probably 1.5 USD or in that neighbourhood - but shipping it from Sweden to US .... I'd probably be able to buy 2 brand new spools of filament with those money (roughly 40 USD I guess). It's simply not worth going through the process.

Anyway, 3D printing is very popular nowadays and I bet you have a friend (or a friend of a friend) who has one at home.

Reactions: LBM4
Hi all,

I'm willing to give mine away (the 3D printed case included for free). I ask for the exact same price I bought it for. I really cannot adjust to it. In my opinion it is simply redundant. Easy to see but in the end, just redundant data for me.
I've been driving cars with central display (citroen C4 for example) for a while so I find no issue in using the central screen for everything I need.

So, if anyone from Sweden/EU is interested, hit me up in PM.

Possible bad news for Austin-built 2023 MY wanting to use a mini in-vent display. The data port described in this thread doesn't exist, and so far I'm not seeing any posts from anyone describing where it is or what happened to it.
IMG_8737 Large.jpeg