Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Generator as backup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think carrying a generator around would be a good idea, you car would end up smelling like an ICE which wouldn't be nice.

A bit OT but would one of these phase changers be an option for those without 3ph but looking for a quick charge!

Home Page | Phase Change Converters
a phase change converter will do nothing for you, and will in fact lose you some power due to the losses inherent in running the units electronics. You can not get anything for nothing. They are only useful if you have EQUIPMENT that is 3 phase only and can only find a single phase supply. Our cars do NOT fall into that category.

Personally I've gotten a bit harsh with my replies now. When they ask "what happens if you run out?" I say "then I'd be an idiot". You know how much range you have getting in. Just like a petrol car. If I need to do a trip that's 59 kms and I have 40 kms range I can't do the trip. If I tried and ran out then it's my own fault. This is a more real world scenario IMHO. Having depleted the battery you suddenly need to go somewhere and there's not enough range left in the car. Happens to me sometimes (I only have 110kms range and use 70 everyday). We're lucky in that most households in Australia have two cars. One ICE and one electric. So if you don't have the range and need it you'd use the ICE. If you want to push the limits and run out then you've probably made it to within a k or two of home and can get it towed home. Embarrassment and a few hours lost. How many people have run out of petrol? But you never talk to people about their ICE and ask what range does it have and what happens if you run out if petrol.

I feel this is linked to the speed of refueling. If you needed to go 50 kms and had 20 kms of range left in your petrol car you know you can go to the local servo and fillmup on the way and it takes 10 minutes. Not so with your level 2 home charger. Probably not as much of an issue in the US or Europe where you can scream down to the nearest supercharger and "fill up" in 10 minutes. We don't have enough fast chargers in Australia yet - that's the problem.
We've been a non-ice 2 car model s family since october last year, and have never come close to running out, and have never felt the need to restrict our travel. We plug both cars in at the conclusion of each day, so always nice and 85-90% full the next day.

I think this debate will rage on for some time (it's in the interest of the ICE industry to do so), but if the electric vehicles we now enjoy had been mass produced since 1904 just imagine the infrastructure and technology that would be around now (not to mention clean air).
Normal day to day electric vehicle driving is clearly no longer a concern. So it's long distance driving that's the current challenge and in Australia its one that seems to be being met with both the super chargers (one day), destination chargers (...) and a hodgepodge array of outlets that is slowly being mapped and discussed by like minded pioneer Tesla drivers (and others) to facilitate the transition to EV general transport.
Viva la revolution ...

I think this debate will rage on for some time (it's in the interest of the ICE industry to do so), but if the electric vehicles we now enjoy had been mass produced since 1904 just imagine the infrastructure and technology that would be around now (not to mention clean air).
Normal day to day electric vehicle driving is clearly no longer a concern.
Viva la revolution ...
Yep, quite right- I took the Tesla for a spin last night, just for pleasure- it was fantastic. We are at the edge of a real change in transport, and a good and enjoyable change it is...

Normal day to day electric vehicle driving is clearly no longer a concern. So it's long distance driving that's the current challenge and in Australia its one that seems to be being met with both the super chargers (one day), destination chargers (...) and a hodgepodge array of outlets that is slowly being mapped and discussed by like minded pioneer Tesla drivers (and others) to facilitate the transition to EV general transport.
Viva la revolution ...
I still get my fossil fuel fix from qantas.

Battery running flat is a real problem for me since I've owned the tesla. The second car, an ice, just sits there. Guess what happens? Battery goes flat and it won't start. You get no warning. It just happens. At 6am. This is what telsa owners need to manage, and it's a real problem.

:p

I am sure JB Straubel is aware of these given he created a range extender pusher a long time ago. http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-miev-range-extender/

I am interested in a caravan with onboard Li ion (ideally tesla battery in chassis) and solar covering the roof to charge when camped. Would be interesting to see the numbers of how much travel could be achieved with different sizes of vans etc. worry is that model X towing range seems to be greatly reduced so I think you would not get to drive much if free camping but with powered sites and using the two batteries it could help increase the range between campsites.