Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small hit to car, is it repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During routine cleaning of my car (Blue/White MY LR 22, Deliver end of November) I found what looks to be a chip that's more than a paint chip. This picture is taking from driver side windshield side bar. Must have happened at some point during my short road trips over the weekend, as I didn't notice anything significant hit me... it's a really deep gouge that I can feel my fingernail sink into. I don't know the different layers and what "layer" this would be at

My question is:

1) Is this repairable? If so, how? It doesn't seem to be just a minor paint chip from a flying rock
2) Who do I contact to get this repaired?
3) Would PPF have protected? My guess would be no given the severity of damage.

chunk_damage_2.jpg

chunk_damage_1.jpg

What product do I use to repair paint chip?
I like TouchUpDirect.com. They will have the correct paint to match your Model Y. You will want to get the basic touch up kit with primer. They also have a series of videos so you see how to perform the touch up repair.

The touch up kit will include small tubes of the following: primer, base coat (the color), mid coat (the metallic flakes), top coat (clear).

You may also want to purchase sanding kit with different grades of sandpaper, use 2000/2500/3000 grit sand paper to smooth the edges and for a little bit of hand sanding between applying coats.

If it is too cold to apply the touch up paint now use automotive wax to protect the damaged area until spring when it will be warm enough to apply the touch up paint.

Reactions: Mike_TV
I like TouchUpDirect.com. They will have the correct paint to match your Model Y. You will want to get the basic touch up kit with primer. They also have a series of videos so you see how to perform the touch up repair.

The touch up kit will include small tubes of the following: primer, base coat (the color), mid coat (the metallic flakes), top coat (clear).

You may also want to purchase sanding kit with different grades of sandpaper, use 2000/2500/3000 grit sand paper to smooth the edges and for a little bit of hand sanding between applying coats.

If it is too cold to apply the touch up paint now use automotive wax to protect the damaged area until spring when it will be warm enough to apply the touch up paint.
Thanks! Just curious... is it ok to just leave as is and never touch it up? Or do all touch up at once, once my car attracts more dings and stuff? If it's not going to grow into a bigger problem I think I might be fine leaving it...

Thanks! Just curious... is it ok to just leave as is and never touch it up? Or do all touch up at once, once my car attracts more dings and stuff? If it's not going to grow into a bigger problem I think I might be fine leaving it...
You want to protect ferrous metal, i.e. the car parts made out of steel so that these parts do not rust. The hood and front fenders of the Tesla Model Y are made of aluminum and won't rust in the usual sense of the word (aluminum can corrode.) The rail next to the windshield and door is part of the roof cage and made of steel. At a minimum put some car wax on the area. If you don't want to do the repair yourself there are mobile detail businesses that can come to you and do the repair (It would look better when repaired if you first buy the correct touch up paint.)

Reactions: acatwith12
You want to protect ferrous metal, i.e. the car parts made out of steel so that these parts do not rust. The hood and front fenders of the Tesla Model Y are made of aluminum and won't rust in the usual sense of the word (aluminum can corrode.) The rail next to the windshield and door is part of the roof cage and made of steel. At a minimum put some car wax on the area. If you don't want to do the repair yourself there are mobile detail businesses that can come to you and do the repair (It would look better when repaired if you first buy the correct touch up paint.)
How do I know how much time wax would give me? Should I re-apply it regularly until summer? Ty for the help!

How do I know how much time wax would give me? Should I re-apply it regularly until summer? Ty for the help!
It depends on how often you wash the vehicle. A good car wax should last at least several months. Some detergents not intended for washing automobiles can strip wax. If the previously waxed surface still beads drops of water when wet then the wax is still doing its job.

It depends on how often you wash the vehicle. A good car wax should last at least several months. Some detergents not intended for washing automobiles can strip wax. If the previously waxed surface still beads drops of water when wet then the wax is still doing its job.
I wash my car every week or two! Not sure if that's good or bad lol. Would opti-seal count as a good wax for this job? Or I should use a legit wax? I wash using ONR exclusively