Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small issues that add up to daily annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a Model S P85D for 2.5 years now, and although I love the car, there are some annoyances that in my opinion should have been fixed by software updates long ago, in my opinion. I guess I'm getting tired of waiting for some useful updates now that most of Tesla's efforts seem to be around AP 2.0/2.5 and the Model 3.

What I'm not sure about, and part of why I'm posting (besides just venting), is I wonder how Elon Musk and plenty of other Tesla employees can drive these cars every day without being bothered by any of this? Are my use cases unusual?

My issues are all about entry to the vehicle and the entertainment system.

Annoying Scenario #1: I back into my garage. When I walk to my car from the rear to unplug the power, it doesn't detect my key and unlock. I have to walk over to the passenger side of the car far enough towards the front for the car to unlock, and then walk back to the charging cable to unlock it. I guess I could also just leave more slack in the charging cable so I can step over it. But it is still annoying. Especially since I can open the trunk from behind, and I walk right by there to the charging cable, so I know the car has seen the key when it won't let me unplug the charger.

Annoying Scenario #2: I need to load things into my car (back seat or passenger seat), or unload them. I approach the passenger side door and the handles extend and (now) the mirrors unfold. I open the door, the A/C turns on, and the radio turns on, annoyingly auto-connecting to my Bluetooth and playing my Audible book. In my opinion the A/C and the radio could wait until pressure is felt on the driver's seat.

Now if I need to make several trips, I can either leave the door open, in my mind wasting A/C and/or playing my audio book unless I pull out my phone or reach across to the screen to pause it, or I can close the door, in which case my handles and mirrors are going to go in and out several times, and the A/C is going to turn on and off several times. Ironically enough, usually when I actually sit down in my car, my Audible won't actually start playing and that's when I'd want it to. This especially seems to happen when I open the passenger door before going to the driver's door.

Annoying Scenario #3: This is a new one, with the new mirror behavior. I recently was glad my mirrors were folded in as I pushed a cart down between my car and another to load into the trunk. Then when I left, the mirrors had unfolded, making it difficult to get the cart though.

My suggestions:

1) why isn't more of this configurable? In my opinion the mirror un-folding should be configurable: on unlock, on door open, on siting, when put into gear, or never. If it isn't configurable, it makes the most sense to me to do it when you put the vehicle into gear.

2) Audio system shouldn't turn on until the driver sits in their seat, or again make this configurable.

3) Climate control should have a dampening system. It's OK to trigger it on door opening, but perhaps wait 5 seconds before turning it on; if the door is still open, or if another door opens, or if there is pressure in the seat, then turn it on. Likewise, once it is on, don't turn it off second after the door is shut. Perhaps run for 30 seconds after the last event so if you are opening several doors in your car the climate control doesn't turn on and off numerous times.

PS - I completely gave up listening to audio books on MP3 in my MS because it lost my place in the books way too many times. I also find the cover art laughable when listening to books on Audible.

These are good UI comments. We only listen to audiobooks on long trips, but that behaviour causes us no end of searching around for where we left off. Yes it's annoying.

If it helps, a (temporary?) workaround for the locked plug is double-click your fob to open the car (and the port) as you're walking up. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious; the sensor is hit and miss for me so I just circumvent the uncertainty by using the fob.

[EDIT:] Joe beat me

Yeah, I know I can double-click to unlock, but obviously that is a sub-optimal workaround.
I completely agree with you on all three points.

I have an HPWC and the car knows it's in my garage, it knows home. It has an amperage limit associated with the location. Home is set in the nav. Why not just release the charge cable when I push on the button, why does the car have to unlock at all?

And yes, triggering the entire infotainment and HVAC system when I open a back door is crazy.

I didn't catch that they made a change in the mirror operation since the update notices usually have no useful information. But I did notice that the mirrors don't always seem to be folded anymore as I try to roll my bike past the car in the garage.

Tesla has exhausted the "new company" goodwill I granted them early on and established themselves as an "over promise, under deliver" company. Tesla is squandering the opportunity to develop brand loyalty. They are #1 and will be for probably two more years, but the competition is coming and for myself it can't come soon enough.

Yup.... the goodwill I granted them is also fading. When I got my CPO almost 2 years ago to the day I was very excited about over the air updates, web browser, Apps that were going to be populating the App screen (any day now), and more. But now I know that there won't be any 3rd party apps, the web browser is horrifically slow and incompatible with most site, and the over the air updates took away the (in my opinion) coolest car interface I'd ever seen (Version 6? before going flat), and now just stream Spotify and Podcasts via Bluetooth from my phone - because it just works.

However, I have had three service visits in the last month (another story) and given a 2017 Mercedes on one, a 2017 BMW on another and lastly a brand new (50 miles) 2017 MS75 with the new 0-60 4.2 motor. The two ice cars had much better seats, but their associated interfaces were a joke and transmission/motor integration almost seemed more dangerous than 2.0 autopilot (always revving up, then shifting awkwardly in turns and unbalancing the respective car). I did figure out that both ice cars could be made better by putting them into sport mode and using the manual paddle shifters, but then again I found myself revving these things to over 6,000 rpm often because I forgot to shift. Ugh. How am I supposed to drink my coffee? Shifting was fun when I was 20 something and played boy racer. Not now.

The new Tesla was much tighter than my CPO85 and was really quick, being a second or so faster to 60, so that was fun. The standard seats felt really tight around the waist and shoulders - even to my 105 pound daughter, and I practically laughed out loud when I heard the air conditioner spool up as loudly as my 2013 CPO. Really? 4 years and this has not been dealt with. Cabin interior a bit quieter, but just a bit. Wind noise at the leading edge of the all glass roof was pretty apparent above 75 but I've read that it can be dealt with by, you guessed it, a visit to the service center.

So I got to do several multi-day test drives in three premium cars. I'd still pick the Tesla today, but when Mercedes and BMW have their EVs ready, I'll take a strong look at them.

They could make hundreds of thousands of pretty loyal customers very happy by just delivering on promises made years ago.

I'm sure Tesla knows that.

We come to forums for work-arounds on Tesla cars until they get the software right, or whatever.

So here's a tip

I open the frunk and just leave the hood wide open in the garage all the time.. The frunk is the only opening on the car that doesn't go into full HVAC/audio spastics when opening and closing it, or staying open. So it's my catch-all spot for stuff I want to get / put from the car...

I also leave the frunk open 'cause that's where I connect the 12v trickle charger to the 12v battery... all the time the car is garaged.

I'm kinda happy the car must be unlocked to get the charge handle out, and since I've disabled auto-present handles because of that annoyance in my garage, I'm pretty much resigned already to having to press fob buttons or touch handles to get the car unlocked. Which then allows the charge cable to be extracted.

tough crowd. I guess if these are the balance of your complaints, tesla is in fine shape.
Agreed. I have a handful of niggling issues. I'd happily list them, but I'd feel silly, they're so trivial.
Compared to any other car I have owned or driven the 2014 Tesla wins and the new ones I have driven seem even better, except for AP-2, that is.

My only significant complaint is that the Nav should allow for upload of pre-routed plans, and should allow retaining of frequent routes. More than thirty years ago my Bendix-King KLN-88 had those features for an airplane and added in quite extensive information about every stop along the way. FWIW, here's the last version on the manual for that ancient device:
https://www.bendixking.com/HWL/media/Pilot-Guides/006-08459-0000_2.pdf
I cannot understand how such features are not routine for our cars. User-set waypoints, navigation options such as shortest, fastest, most scenic or user designed ought to be trivial. I understand not many car nav systems have such features but ours should. Waze, for example should be integrated with the nav so we are alerted to all those warnings, and can give our own.

We could add a few other things, coat hooks, door pockets, etc but the Nav is my only real complaint. Silicon Valley engineers should be able to replicate >35 year old aircraft nav features shouldn't they?

...So here's a tip

I open the frunk and just leave the hood wide open in the garage all the time.. The frunk is the only opening on the car that doesn't go into full HVAC/audio spastics when opening and closing it, or staying open. So it's my catch-all spot for stuff I want to get / put from the car...

I also leave the frunk open 'cause that's where I connect the 12v trickle charger to the 12v battery... all the time the car is garaged.

I almost never open the frunk. I have a P85D so the frunk is not big enough to be useful for anything but a small gym bag or computer bag. Plus closing it is a pain as you have to use your hands, which will often get dirty as the hood of the car gets dirty quickly, and I am always worried about denting it when having to do the final closure.

Reactions: lucy
True you have to touch the car. Most often the daily stuff I'm carting around would fit just as well in the smaller frunk, as yours.

I can attest that daily closings has not dented the hood. I'm always a two hand pusher, my wife is a one-hander (no! no!) in the middle front edge and still.. it's holding up fine without crease or dent. (circa 2014 August build car.) earlier cars had a frunk lid edge creasing issue. Mine must be beefed up a bit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tforme
True, my computer bag fits in the frunk but IMHO it makes more sense to use the back seat. The other issue with using the frunk is that if you pull into your parking spot you may not have enough room to access the vehicle from the front - even if you leave space the next person pulling up to your vehicle may not do so. Or it might be a tight squeeze which means that you can get your suit covered with road grime - especially the salt, dirt, slush, etc that our cars pick up in the Canadian winter.

I absolutely can't stand that the audio starts playing every time I open a door. Even if you pause the system (since there's no Off button..?!?), it just plays again. So yeah, little spurts of music or audiobook as we open and close doors while loading or unloading the car. Yes, it seems trivial, but it is soooooo annoying. I've even taken to sometimes just pulling out my phone every time I open a door just to pause the music. Ugh!! At least the climate control system will stay off if I tell it to.

Reactions: lucy and Aeg07046
Ok, let me add my 2 minor cents. No hysteresis on the auto lights. To be fair, none of my other cars with auto lights handles it that well either, but it seems like a simple thing. When you detect a low light condition that you think warrants turning on the lights, please check for the condition for a couple more minutes before you take action. Same thing when you turn it off. This should prevent the headlights from coming on and off when you cross under a bridge, or drive under some shaded trees, etc.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS