Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small nail in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only speak to my experience at the one store. Other stores as you pointed out may have or have had different policies. There may also be a difference by state. Tesla was the number 6 best selling brand across all models and over 38,000 M3s were registered in the state. That's a lot of potential tire buyers, Costco probably doesn't want to offend. It may also depend on if you are a member and have purchased tires there previously. My wife and I have been buying tires and batteries for all of our cars from Costco for at least 20 years and maybe 30.
Surprisingly, a few years ago I had a nail in one of my Model S's tires. The closest Costco was Upland, CA. They had never seen a Tesla before and would have to order the tire. In So Cal. They were nice enough to patch it (too close to sidewall to be safe), and I hit the Costco in Tustin for the replacement (in stock). Night and day - "we get a lot of Teslas here."

I'm guessing that with proliferation of lower priced Teslas, Upland will soon be experienced with them. :)

Reactions: 73Bruin
So now a day after the repair I am getting the TPMS fault error. The strange thing is the repaired tire is showing the psi but the rear tire that was not touched is not showing.

tried rebooting the car 3 times, deflating and inflating, error still shows.

Any thoughts?

I have a feeling the repair place messed the sensor up. As a note Tesla patches for $90. I scheduled a service appointment.

Have you driven the car much since the repair? I had to drive mine about 5 miles before the TPMS started registering.

i had a nail in my s and plugged it. if you know where the nail is dont even need to take the wheel off the car. works well for me as a permanent fix. discount tires near my house uses plugs for permanent fix routinely
i keep a safety seal kit, a floor pump and small jack in my frunk just in case
been doing this for many years with my truck when i go down to baja

So now a day after the repair I am getting the TPMS fault error. The strange thing is the repaired tire is showing the psi but the rear tire that was not touched is not showing.

tried rebooting the car 3 times, deflating and inflating, error still shows.

Any thoughts?

I have a feeling the repair place messed the sensor up. As a note Tesla patches for $90. I scheduled a service appointment.
Maybe this link can help: TPMS Reset

Original Poster stated "These are the steps I took to reset my Model 3."
1. Selected the Quick Controls “Car” icon.
2. Selected Service.
3. Left this menu open and began driving.
4. After a few minutes, a popup displayed showing that the car had detected a new tire size.
5. Selected applicable size and Reset Sensors.
6. The TPMS began working as expected.

The Tesla TPMS system somehow manages at times to switch the psi readings of two wheels (I have only seen it switch the front and back wheels on one side of the car). It seems to happen when there is a significant difference in the pressure in the two tires (Or that is the only time it is obvious)

All, I did everything referenced above and nothing. Also after getting the tire fixed I drove 30 miles. I manually checked pressure and all tires are = to what’s displaying.

I even tried changing rim size and driving 5-10 miles no luck.

The fact we don’t have a relearn button is really upsetting. I know the sensors are automatic but this is crazy. If it won’t reset you have to make a service appointment....

Maybe this link can help: TPMS Reset

Original Poster stated "These are the steps I took to reset my Model 3."
1. Selected the Quick Controls “Car” icon.
2. Selected Service.
3. Left this menu open and began driving.
4. After a few minutes, a popup displayed showing that the car had detected a new tire size.
5. Selected applicable size and Reset Sensors.
6. The TPMS began working as expected.
The new sensors on the MY and 3 in 2021 are blue tooth and the service menu no longer has the option to reset / learn.

This is news to me and will check as I do have a hub from day 1...
Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 167

NOTE: Installing accessories that are not approved by Tesla can interfere with the TPMS

CAUTION: Avoid placing powered USB devices near the card reader on the center console (see Key Card on page 9) as powered USB devices may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system.

roblab: You're making a HUGE assumption that people want to plug it themselves, or that they have the physical ability to plug a tire. I just did one again, for the first time in 25 years, and it isn't something that everyone can do.
Yes, I am assuming a lot. I would guess that more than half the people on the planet can't figure out how to install a new outlet, but that job is much much more complicated than plugging a leak in the tread of a tire. My tire plug kit cost less than $10 and the job consists of threading the plug material through a large dull T-handled needle, and then poking it into the hole in the tire. Some people might not understand that they need to remove the nail first, I guess, but, hey, I'd also guess that every neighborhood has a fix it guy.

I would offer anyone living in the Napa Valley my services in plugging a tire. My time is free, but you buy the plug, as I just used my last one of the four I bought twenty years ago. Being a teacher, I also insist that anyone I help does most of the work, so they can teach others.

Plugging a tire using a rope plug and tire plug tool can be difficult, especially when you need to plug a rear tire while the wheel is mounted on the vehicle. Plugging a front tire is easier because you can usually turn the front wheels and position the puncture location for better access. For temporary use only I use this plug repair kit. (You need to have a set of pliers to remove the screw, nail or bolt from the tire.)

Victor Plug & Go Tire Repair Kit

Yes, I am assuming a lot. I would guess that more than half the people on the planet can't figure out how to install a new outlet, but that job is much much more complicated than plugging a leak in the tread of a tire. My tire plug kit cost less than $10 and the job consists of threading the plug material through a large dull T-handled needle, and then poking it into the hole in the tire. Some people might not understand that they need to remove the nail first, I guess, but, hey, I'd also guess that every neighborhood has a fix it guy.

I would offer anyone living in the Napa Valley my services in plugging a tire. My time is free, but you buy the plug, as I just used my last one of the four I bought twenty years ago. Being a teacher, I also insist that anyone I help does most of the work, so they can teach others.

I understand the hyperbole, but seriously, way "...more than half the people on the planet..." don't even have electricity!!! 😢😢😢😢😢