TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Small panel overlap -- should I refuse delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by David A, Aug 27, 2018.

?

Should I refuse delivery because of this panel overlap?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    81.6%
  1. David A

David A New Member

My delivery was scheduled for last Saturday but had to be postponed because the check from my bank hadn't arrived yet. I got a chance to look at the car though, and everything looks pretty good except for a roughly 1-2mm panel overlap between the quarter panel and the front bumper on one side. I'm not sure whether I should refuse delivery or just accept the car and hope that they fix it later. My worry is that if I take delivery, they'll refuse to fix it. Then again it seems like pretty small thing and refusing delivery seems extreme. I don't really mind if they take a long time to fix the issue -- I got the car way sooner than I expected (~1.5 months instead of 2-4) and don't need it until the end of the year.

Here's a photo illustrating where the problem is. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of the issue on my car while I was there.
    [​IMG]

2. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

That looks to me like something that should be fixed. Don’t see why they wouldn’t fix it for you?

3. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

They should fix/adjust it, but I can also see them saying that 1mm is "within spec."

4. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Take delivery- you'll love the car- and 1mm isn't the end of the world, I'll bet they fix it anyway.

• Like x 1
  5. favo

favo P3D+ owner

If that's the biggest issue your car has, I would absolutely take delivery. If they put it on your Due Bill, they will fix it. (I guess they could refuse to put it on, but that seems unlikely.)

• Like x 2
  6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah if that’s the only issue you found I would take delivery. It’s somewhat hard to tell how severe it is because of the white substance (wax?) that’s on there.

7. David A

David A New Member

That's not a photo of my car -- unfortunately I didn't take a picture at the time, so I just drew an arrow onto a photo I found of a model 3. On my car the panel is definitely overlapping and that corner of the quarter panel is pushed out a tiny bit by the overlap.

8. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Ah. If it’s truly only 1mm I’d hate to pass up the car. However if it is super noticeable and would drive you nuts I might insist it be fixed before you will take delivery.

9. corduroy

corduroy Member

I say take the car and have fun driving it. No one will ever notice a millimeter here or there.

• Like x 2
  10. aekemmerer

aekemmerer Member

1mm? I'm a stickler for detail, but I personally would take the car.

• Like x 2
  11. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

If they're overlapping by 1mm, that means it's a few mm off spec, right? If it's overlapping, couldn't they rub on each other and lose paint? I wouldn't refuse delivery, but I'd certainly want to get it corrected.

• Like x 1
  12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Take the car. Bumper alignment is a relatively easy adjustment.

Not sure where this whole panel gap thing got started. The cars are great and life altering. Never had a car in my life with absolutely perfect panel gaps. The Japanese are best in the business, but they tend to be super picky about everything.

• Like x 2
  13. animorph

animorph Active Member

Might try to find where that mm came from on the other side too. Either a part has been slightly deformed or there is an extra mm gap somewhere.

14. aekemmerer

aekemmerer Member

Oh, Uncle Paul.

• Funny x 1
  15. AviP

AviP Member

The overlap will scuff the lower panel over time due to vibrations and then you will be disappointed with your car. You paid for a brand new car without defects. If you find that acceptable, perhaps you should consider the used car market.

16. xcat

xcat Member

If the adjustment can be made via the bumper, then document it with Tesla that they will correct, and accept it. If it's the quarter panel, then reject.

• Like x 1
  17. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I just noticed that I have this on my Model 3 (Aug 25th delivery). It is pretty minimal but it is there. It’s worse on the driver’s side and super slight on the passenger side. Will probably mention it to the SC if I ever end up taking it in but it’s oretty minor at this point.

18. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

It is your purchase... I have way more issues than you and took delivery because they will make it right in the end. It's all cosmetic and can be fixed... enjoy your new car :) My headlights have large gaps (I didn't even notice it, the SA did when I took it in for the bumper alignment), tiny fish eyes on the driver fender corner, back bumper not fully engaged into the side clips, turn signal not working consistently, window molding is bulging out. I look at it this way, if it's the plastic portions (bumpers not aligned), then it's a simple alignment... if it was the hatch or one of the metal body parts then it's way more significant and would reject.

19. speedracr

speedracr Member

Should be relatively straight forward to adjust the gap. I would definitely adjust it; since the two panels are touching it will rub the paint.

20. EVMike3

EVMike3 Member

I had exact same issue and my car was Blue as well not that it matters. I actually noticed it after delivery. I stopped back at the SC a few days later and showed it to them. They wrote it down with no questions asked. They connected me with their local body shop and I took the car there and was like a 15 minute fix. Looks perfect now.

• Like x 1