Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small panel overlap -- should I refuse delivery?

Should I refuse delivery because of this panel overlap?

• Yes

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery was scheduled for last Saturday but had to be postponed because the check from my bank hadn't arrived yet. I got a chance to look at the car though, and everything looks pretty good except for a roughly 1-2mm panel overlap between the quarter panel and the front bumper on one side. I'm not sure whether I should refuse delivery or just accept the car and hope that they fix it later. My worry is that if I take delivery, they'll refuse to fix it. Then again it seems like pretty small thing and refusing delivery seems extreme. I don't really mind if they take a long time to fix the issue -- I got the car way sooner than I expected (~1.5 months instead of 2-4) and don't need it until the end of the year.

Here's a photo illustrating where the problem is. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of the issue on my car while I was there.
t0oSLxD.png

Yeah if that’s the only issue you found I would take delivery. It’s somewhat hard to tell how severe it is because of the white substance (wax?) that’s on there.
That's not a photo of my car -- unfortunately I didn't take a picture at the time, so I just drew an arrow onto a photo I found of a model 3. On my car the panel is definitely overlapping and that corner of the quarter panel is pushed out a tiny bit by the overlap.

That's not a photo of my car -- unfortunately I didn't take a picture at the time, so I just drew an arrow onto a photo I found of a model 3. On my car the panel is definitely overlapping and that corner of the quarter panel is pushed out a tiny bit by the overlap.

Ah. If it’s truly only 1mm I’d hate to pass up the car. However if it is super noticeable and would drive you nuts I might insist it be fixed before you will take delivery.

I just noticed that I have this on my Model 3 (Aug 25th delivery). It is pretty minimal but it is there. It’s worse on the driver’s side and super slight on the passenger side. Will probably mention it to the SC if I ever end up taking it in but it’s oretty minor at this point.

It is your purchase... I have way more issues than you and took delivery because they will make it right in the end. It's all cosmetic and can be fixed... enjoy your new car :) My headlights have large gaps (I didn't even notice it, the SA did when I took it in for the bumper alignment), tiny fish eyes on the driver fender corner, back bumper not fully engaged into the side clips, turn signal not working consistently, window molding is bulging out. I look at it this way, if it's the plastic portions (bumpers not aligned), then it's a simple alignment... if it was the hatch or one of the metal body parts then it's way more significant and would reject.

My delivery was scheduled for last Saturday but had to be postponed because the check from my bank hadn't arrived yet. I got a chance to look at the car though, and everything looks pretty good except for a roughly 1-2mm panel overlap between the quarter panel and the front bumper on one side. I'm not sure whether I should refuse delivery or just accept the car and hope that they fix it later. My worry is that if I take delivery, they'll refuse to fix it. Then again it seems like pretty small thing and refusing delivery seems extreme. I don't really mind if they take a long time to fix the issue -- I got the car way sooner than I expected (~1.5 months instead of 2-4) and don't need it until the end of the year.

Here's a photo illustrating where the problem is. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of the issue on my car while I was there.
t0oSLxD.png
I had exact same issue and my car was Blue as well not that it matters. I actually noticed it after delivery. I stopped back at the SC a few days later and showed it to them. They wrote it down with no questions asked. They connected me with their local body shop and I took the car there and was like a 15 minute fix. Looks perfect now.

Reactions: Need