Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Portable Tire Inflators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is a really dumb question but...... I have a MY dual motor tires with original wheel covers which came with the car. I am a senior with arthritis and short stubby fingers. I bought a small portable tire inflator on amazon and it works. The problem is that with the wheel covers on the part you turn to screw in the inflator tube is almost too short. It takes a heck of a lot of work to just get the dang thing on. When its on everything works but I have to adjust the inflator to about 2 pounds over to account for all the air leakage when I twist on the inflator and when I twist it off when finished. I foresee a day when I will not be able to put it on the tire at all. The question is has anyone found a portable tire inflator with a longer "screw" on collar that works easily with the tire covers on? Or any other solutions? Other than remove the wheel covers.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your situation right, as I took the covers off on day 1. But, would a 20" extension/adapter help? The below adapter takes an inflator's screw-on connector, and ends with a regular Shrader valve:

https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-Len...flator+schrader+adapter&qid=1609240258&sr=8-4

Thank you for telling us these exist! My 12V inflator also has the twist-on connector, which I find annoying and can totally see how it could be a no-go for someone with manual dexterity issues.

I ordered a shorter version of the one you shared:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088FGSN67/

I'm not sure if I'm reading your situation right, as I took the covers off on day 1. But, would a 20" extension/adapter help? The below adapter takes an inflator's screw-on connector, and ends with a regular Shrader valve:

https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-Len...flator+schrader+adapter&qid=1609240258&sr=8-4

Thank you for telling us these exist! My 12V inflator also has the twist-on connector, which I find annoying and can totally see how it could be a no-go for someone with manual dexterity issues.

I ordered a shorter version of the one you shared:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088FGSN67/

Yeah, they work well with those horrible screw on connectors. Makes checking and inflating the tires not as much of a chore. Some rims are worse than others, so anything to make them easier for me helps!

Avoid screw-on connections to the valve. Buy and use only the ones that have a small lever.

You push them onto the valve and push the lever to the side 90 degrees for a firm, airtight connection.

After pumping you grab the lever, lift it off a little to grab it firmly. Then you pull the lever with one quick, forceful movement to tear the whole connector from the valve with an absolutely minimal air leak.

Ok this is a really dumb question but...... I have a MY dual motor tires with original wheel covers which came with the car. I am a senior with arthritis and short stubby fingers. I bought a small portable tire inflator on amazon and it works. The problem is that with the wheel covers on the part you turn to screw in the inflator tube is almost too short. It takes a heck of a lot of work to just get the dang thing on. When its on everything works but I have to adjust the inflator to about 2 pounds over to account for all the air leakage when I twist on the inflator and when I twist it off when finished. I foresee a day when I will not be able to put it on the tire at all. The question is has anyone found a portable tire inflator with a longer "screw" on collar that works easily with the tire covers on? Or any other solutions? Other than remove the wheel covers.

As noted some of the tire inflators use a flip-lock chuck. Here is a link to some of the better tire inflators:
The Best Tire Inflators

You could also add air to each tire at a service station, add a few extra pounds to account for the tires not being cold. Later when you are at home, when the tires are cold, bleed off the excess air pressure using a tire gauge that has an air bleed off button.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna and CO_MY
I have that too, but it has only an analog, imprecise pressure gauge, and you cannot set a pressure where it auto-stops. It is also big, but its redeeming feature is that you can do a tire emergency repair with it (using the included sticky slime).
I have this from Sun Joe (Snow Joe). It has a digital display where you press the PSI amount and then it stops when done. It does NOT screw on. Just push it on, flip the lever to lock it in place, and press the trigger.

It also works with basketballs and other small inflatables.

Sun Joe 24V-AJC-LTE 24-Volt iON+ Cordless Portable Air Compressor Kit | W/ 2.0-Ah Battery, Charger, Storage Bag, and Nozzle Adapters

24V-AJC-LTE_Hero.jpg