Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small problems. Longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't want to compare to the high-mileage S & X vehicles in the wild but it is something to consider since some components may be shared. i.e. vendor specific (coolant pumps, CV joints, steering components, window regulators, etc.)

True. My next biggest fear is that Tesla goes under leaving me with no one to fix my car in the future. I believe before that happens they would be bought out. Irrational thoughts I worry about. Anyway I'm sure I'll have more problems than my Toyota. I just got to remember less moving parts so hopefully easier to fix.

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
Read that article. That's why I refered to only one earlier.
ya that's literally the only datapoint available though. Everything else is speculation. I can echo some of the same things other people have about brands like BMW, Fixes are typically expensive and more common than you'd think. Just for example I had a 3 series and it had systemic issues with prematurely failing ignition coils BMW never resolved the root issue and you're just left replacing ignition coils frequently at over $200 a pop just in parts if you did it yourself it wasn't great. I think it was somewhere between $600 and $800 to get them to do it

We had a little anxiety too when we bought the car. It was more money than we had spent on any car, however we did lease an electric car that sold us on the concept. To date we had one minor issue that Tesla fixed promptly. They also gave us a loaner S that was stupid fast!!!
I am convinced that this car is the perfect primary car. I used to think it was a good second car, but no more. If you really need to travel beyond its limits just rent something. We have solar on the roof and a 220v charger in the garage and the tank is full each morning if we remember to plug it in.
All of the benefits of this beautiful machine must be weighed in the light of future issues. I expect the windows will rattle in time, and the seals stop sealing. Perhaps the mirrors will no longer retract. We can deal with these things, but hopefully it will be at the point where the state of the art has surpassed this milestone car where we just feel compelled to replace it!
For now we are in love with our Model 3. There is no better car.

Reactions: Hoopoe
Owning a Tesla is like having a hot girlfriend with various small issues. You love her, you don't wanna leave. Every time you try, you get in and drive. You fall in love all over again. It's a vicious cycle. /s

Stuff happens. Just take it in and get them to resolve the issues quickly. If they keep happening, use the lemon laws in your area to your advantage if there are any. Extend your 4 year warranty near the end.

A new Mercedes I bought was in the shop every two months for 2 years. Once for 6 weeks straight. My service records are a book.

That’s a 130 year old company.
Tesla is 16 years old

I got another one after. Why? They’re great cars, the company went above and beyond to take care of things and minimized the hit on the next and the service was excellent.

The next car had zero issues.

I would expect no less of Tesla today in 2019. They won’t survive if they let quality and service dive.

Reactions: tvad
I totally understand your frustration man. I haven't seen a lot about new issues like this in a while. I was finally willing to take the leap of faith with an M3 when they started year 3 of production because it seemed like the overall owner happiness was significantly higher. They got most of the bugs worked out.
I traded in my 5 Series BMW(one of the nicest mid-size luxury cars around). I had major issues once I hit 50,000 miles. I traded it in at 70k. Tesla took it no questions asked if it was in driveable condition. It needed $4k of work. Check engine light had been on for 6 months. I find it very, very hard to believe that this M3 is going to drive me crazy like my BMW did.
Stop thinking so much. Of course things could go wrong, but deal with it when it happens.