Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

small roads question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve learned to ignore them although the ‘corrective steering applied one is particularly annoying, especially since nothing usually seems to happen. Joe mode now seems significantly quieter for most of the warnings, but not all. The alarm when you are approaching another vehicle, often parked, that you are about to drive round, is understandable but annoying. Until the car is able to sense whether you are aware of a hazard it is difficult to see how unwanted warnings can be avoided - I sense this may be a long time coming!

First thing I did on collection of the car is turn on Joe Mode...never been off since. The only real issue I have is as @AndrewGR mentions above and manoeuvring around parked cars and getting the warning blast and said parked car highlighted in Red on the screen, which can be annoying when others are in the car specifically SWMBO who is a very nervous passenger who then starts monitoring my every move whilst in the car thinking I am not paying attention!! (for some reason she trust the car over my driving ability).

There’s only so much you can do; Turn on Joe Mode helps for some. Speed limit warning set to ‘Display’. Single lane roads are single lane roads I’m afraid.

I think that Joe Mode only moderates the level of the general purpose bing bongs. The sounds used for alarms seem to remain unpleasantly strident. They certainly can be a pain in the backside on single track roads (corrective steering applied - not) or when approaching a parked vehicle (I KNOW it's there). The one useful sound that remains too quiet is the indicators ... they're easily swamped by even low level radio audio.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Got over half a dozen false positives with "corrective steering applied" (only felt it once) yesterday on a ~40 minute country road drive, some where mud on the edge of the road did probably confuse the car, others just typical country roads. Might be the weather or it got worse with the latest update (currently on 2021.32.21), but I think this was a personal record :(

I think that corrective steering alarms have become more common with recent updates. I’ve also had a couple of cases of such interventions actually causing the car to swerve when exiting a roundabout which have been worrying especially when accompanied by a loud alarm. I agree that Joe mode doesn’t reduce the alarm volume the car generates when it thinks you are about to crash. And also that the indicator clicks are too quiet.

I think that corrective steering alarms have become more common with recent updates.

I had one on previous 2 years and now at least two more in the last few weeks - no obvious reason for either and one I was definitely well positioned in a wide section of road (although I note that since the event that section of road has been patched so maybe an issue with the surface).

So anecdotally, recent update or two do seem more sensitive.

Similarly to @VanillaAir_UK I hardly ever had a corrective steering alarm until a few weeks ago but it's occurred several times on the .32 updates.

I find the autosteer engage/disengage bong very annoying especially when I have deliberately disengaged it! Changing lanes and using autosteer produces two bongs one on indication and another when you turn autosteer back on... Anyone know how to turn that one off? Does Joe mode influence it?
Autosteer 'bongs' did seem annoying at first but after a while anyone using the car including regular passengers hardly notices them. Recent updates have definitely reduced the volume when using Joe mode.

I find the autosteer engage/disengage bong very annoying especially when I have deliberately disengaged it! Changing lanes and using autosteer produces two bongs one on indication and another when you turn autosteer back on... Anyone know how to turn that one off? Does Joe mode influence it?
You can manually disengage autosteer by pushing the right stalk up instead of overriding the steering. That doesn't produce a bong I don't think.

Re-engaging it always will though.

Reactions: curmudgeon
Hi all, anyone have some tips for setting a model 3 to be less annoying with bells and warnings on one lane roads?
This annoyed me a lot, so I turned the "driver safetly assistance" (I forget the exact setting name) down to it's lowest level to avoid it screaming at me as often. It helped a great deal. In it's default mode, it constantly thought I was going to go up the back of someone or driving into a hedge.

Original issue was how to make it less annoying when driving without auto aids on roads. Set the assists to 'late' and drive a little slower. The red bongs are due to the sensors detecting obstacles really close to the car so are really hard to avoid in tight Cornish lanes for example, the car was designed for USA roads so will freak out in our crazy middle aged thoroughfares.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha