Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Smaller and Lighter wheels make you faster, more efficient, and offer better road hazard protection.

I was looking at your charts and doing some analysis of my own and noticed an interesting trend. It does appear that Tesla may limiting the initial launch (~0-10mph range). It hits the "1.0G limit" that many mention and acceleration rapidly drops. You can actually see the rear motor torque output drop in this range, despite sufficient battery power. It looks like Tesla may be dropping the battery amps and/or phase amps here. They then ramp the battery current up progressively from there. It doesn't appear to be a battery limitation as it's clearly capable of more amps. The front motor doesn't appear to experience this dip.

View attachment 875591

Drop in rear motor torque, but not front motor:

View attachment 875588

Drop in battery current (amps):

View attachment 875610
That is probably the car cutting power because it is at the traction limit as opposed to an artificial acceleration limit.

I seriously doubt it measures acceleration and artificially says “cut power despite having traction”. It is much more likely that it senses wheel slip and cuts power.

If I am right then a sub 3.10(without subtracting rollout) should be possible simply by removing weight, which I have done now.

That is probably the car cutting power because it is at the traction limit as opposed to an artificial acceleration limit.

I seriously doubt it measures acceleration and artificially says “cut power despite having traction”. It is much more likely that it senses wheel slip and cuts power.

If I am right then a sub 3.10(without subtracting rollout) should be possible simply by removing weight, which I have done now.

That's something that could be tested pretty easily if someone has access to a good set of sticky tires and a well prepped drag strip. Granted, wider/stickier tires wouldn't be ideal for the best 1/4 mile time.

That's something that could be tested pretty easily if someone has access to a good set of sticky tires and a well prepped drag strip. Granted, wider/stickier tires wouldn't be ideal for the best 1/4 mile time.
I will have plenty of grip on Saturday. I have good PS4S tires and they are charging us double the normal price to have the ultimate track prep for a Test and Tune. The only thing that would make my 0-60 mph time faster this weekend would be if I got my daughter to drive it.

I can do a rolling burnout before each run so that should get my tires warm enough.

Reactions: EVolv3d
Here is a bit more data that demonstrates how consistent my car is at running 11.399 or faster with the 18" T Sportline wheels. This is FORTY FIVE separate 1/4 mile passes at the Rockingham Dragway from this summer. Every single one of them is 11.399 or faster. I think 4 or 5 of them are 11.30 or faster.

E48B4981-90ED-4985-919B-5E4A89BB4E7F.jpeg

Pretty insane to have this kind of consistency. Charging at the track makes this possible. If I couldn't charge in-between runs the car begins to fade after 3 passes. By the 5th pass it will be in the 11.4s.

Also, I can run 11.30 and then within 10 minutes have the car maxing out at 11.59 even with 95+% SOC by running Track Mode. Cooling the battery obliterates straight-line acceleration very quickly. However, that also means I can do 11.3 passes and then dial in an 11.501 pretty easily if the class calls for that. This car is an absolute beast for bracket racing or 11.50 and slower racing.

I decided to go with lighter wheels since that's really the only "mod" available for drag racing. I settled on the 19x8.5 and I wanted your feedback on tires. Do you think 235/40-19 will have any less traction then the 245/40-19 for straight line racing? The 245 width would look better but I'm assuming there's at least a little weight savings from the 235 width.

My best 1/8 miles is a 7.28 but most are in the low 7.30's. I'll report back after trying the new setup.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I decided to go with lighter wheels since that's really the only "mod" available for drag racing. I settled on the 19x8.5 and I wanted your feedback on tires. Do you think 235/40-19 will have any less traction then the 245/40-19 for straight line racing? The 245 width would look better but I'm assuming there's at least a little weight savings from the 235 width.

My best 1/8 miles is a 7.28 but most are in the low 7.30's. I'll report back after trying the new setup.
Honestly, I would go as small in diameter and width as possible for pure straight line acceleration. Traction in a straight line just isn’t an issue for this car with reasonable summer tires and warm temps.

I think I will go to 225/45/18 when my current PS4S tires wear out. Those will still stick in a straight line with the correct pressures. They are crazy cheap even for decent summer tires.

Weight reduction helps for sure. I had a pretty epic day at the track yesterday.

3024D32E-2D22-47E6-8371-39318DEB6451.png

Honestly, I would go as small in diameter and width as possible for pure straight line acceleration. Traction in a straight line just isn’t an issue for this car with reasonable summer tires and warm temps.

I think I will go to 225/45/18 when my current PS4S tires wear out. Those will still stick in a straight line with the correct pressures. They are crazy cheap even for decent summer tires.

Weight reduction helps for sure. I had a pretty epic day at the track yesterday.

View attachment 876567

What was your avg gain from the weight reduction? I saw your prior 0-60 was almost 0.2 higher than that run. Did you change anything else?

I'll likely go with the 235 width. It sucks the PS4's are cheaper in the 245's but I guess that's a more popular size.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
What was your avg gain from the weight reduction? I saw your prior 0-60 was almost 0.2 higher than that run. Did you change anything else?

I'll likely go with the 235 width. It sucks the PS4's are cheaper in the 245's but I guess that's a more popular size.
I had some 3.11 and 3.13 runs before weight reduction but they were marked invalid so I didn’t post them.

It appears that 150 lbs of static weight gives me .1 seconds from 0-60 mph through the 1/4 mile. 40 lbs of rotational weight gave me about .08 seconds for 0-60 mph through the 1/4 mile. About a 3x factor for rotational weight vs. static weight.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC