TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smaller frunk in redesign?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Zeromus-X, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Just picked up my S70 (RWD) with the redesigned front. The front trunk looks significantly smaller than all the pictures I'm seeing online; my understanding was that the AWD ones had a fairly small frunk but the RWD ones had a larger one. Here's what mine looks like as an RWD... are the AWD ones even smaller now, or are they just cutting off space for the RWD ones to match? IMG_1471 (1).JPG IMG_1473.JPG

• Informative x 1
  2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

All refresh seem to have small front trunk as in your pictures. Days of the large front trunk in RWD cars appear to be over.

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I understand it's due to the HEPA air filtration system.

4. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Yup it's the giant-ass air filter. Too bad.

• Funny x 1
  5. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I didn't get the air filter package, so that's weird that they would block it off like that.

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

We've been told that all post refresh cars have the same frunk size, regardless of configuration, which appears to be correct from your post.

It simplifies production, but in your case it probably means some significant empty space you can't use under the hood.

7. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

for roadtrips to Europe I would have really liked the larger Frunk - the more cargospace the better. I'm very surprised that Elon would ok a change something that would make the car worse!
    I wonder if some after-market body shop could re-instate it! If it's just a big hole behind there!!!!

8. JST

JST Active Member

Ugh, that's dumb. I would definitely have considered a RWD car again just to get the bigger frunk; now I guess there's one less reason NOT to order AWD (which might be the point).

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Me too - when I thought I was buying an S, I was seriously considering a rwd car because of the bigger frunk.

Then I got to test drive an X and it became moot for me - after a couple months with no word, I finally got my VIN this week!!! I might be a little excited. :)

• Like x 1