Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air Suspension Adjustments for 19" to 21"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im swapping my 19s off for the factory 21s and am currious if i need to take my S90D to the service center to have them update the configuration software to know im on 21s.

My service center is almost 2 hours away and i wont have time to get there till late November.

Has anyone else done or not done this software change after switching wheel size?

The actual tire diameter is the same, so need to worry about air suspension height. Assuming that your TPMS sensors on the 21" wheels are compatible, all you need to do is reset the TPMS system. Here is an excerpt from the manual:

To reset TPMS sensors:

1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the driver’s door pillar.
  2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then, on the Model S touchscreen, touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Tire Pressure Monitor > Reset Sensors.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions.
You will need to go to the service center, however, if you want the graphic in your car to be updated. Also, you will need to go to the service center for them to reset the warning point for low pressure.

So I guess I'm curious what changes in the software configuration other than how the picture looks on my screen. I'm not making a special trip for just that.
I think they will probably change the set-point at which you will get a low pressure warning - it's dependent on tire size. The 21" tires are usually set to a lower pressure. If you don't reset the warning from the 19" tires, then you may get a low pressure warning a lot earlier than if the setting was set for 21" tires.

I went the other way around: I replaced my 21" with 19" (at the service center). The 21" pressure was 42psi and the 19" pressure is 45psi. I even had them place a new sticker on the door panel for the new pressures. I don't know what the warning set point is, but if you keep you 21" tires at 42psi, I don't think you'll get a warning.

So I guess I'm curious what changes in the software configuration other than how the picture looks on my screen. I'm not making a special trip for just that.

I also changed from factory 19's to 21's. I emailed [email protected] and asked them to remotely change the car avatar on the screen. They did it within 48 hours. My tesla smartphone app still shows the old wheels, but the car shows the 21s.