Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air Suspension- Dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 S with air definitely stiffens up as I raise the suspension. I had my service center look at it because I was "bottoming out" the suspension without hitting the ground over speed bumps at work. Service Center figured out t was because I was on Very High. Switched to High for those bumps and no problem anymore. They told me that at Very High, the car stiffens up analogous to Dr. Frankenstein's monster and gets much more rough.

However, the ability to dynamically stiffen or adjust the dampers on the car doesn't exist. The only control point (that I am aware of) stock is the height.

Yep I've noticed this too. I recall reading somewhere on the forum that it was likened to walking on stilts when set to very high. Frankenstein is a great analogy too!

@lolachampcar - thanks for all the feedback, very helpful.

I do not believe the suspension can react sufficiently fast enough to be active while cornering. I believe these transients are filtered out by time or simply ignored as a function of steered angle.

Having the battery below the wheel center line significantly lowers Model S' roll center and thus Tesla used the larger roll bar on the front of the car to improve turn in feel at the expense of head snatch.
Track it