Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air Suspension Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S with air suspension. Last fall I was experiencing an issue where the car would give me a warning light when I turned it on, and either the front or rear of the car would be practically sitting on the ground. I would have to reset the car a few times to get it back. Tesla service center looked at it and said my air struts were going bad, but to save me money, they just replaced a relay or something to see if it helped for a while. It helped, and would only happen once in awhile. To be safe, I bought refurbished struts and replaced them in March. Now, for the past week, if the car sits for a while, as soon as I turn the car on, the front of the car lowers to the ground and I can hear a large amount of air escaping from somewhere. I havent been able to narrow down the exact location of the air leak yet. I scheduled a service appt, but it's weeks away. If I can figure out what the problem is, I can probably have a local place fix it sooner. Has anyone had a similar problem? Sorry for the long post, I just need to get this fixed asap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 3.40.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 3.40.30 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,466
I have a 2014 Model S with air suspension. Last fall I was experiencing an issue where the car would give me a warning light when I turned it on, and either the front or rear of the car would be practically sitting on the ground. I would have to reset the car a few times to get it back. Tesla service center looked at it and said my air struts were going bad, but to save me money, they just replaced a relay or something to see if it helped for a while. It helped, and would only happen once in awhile. To be safe, I bought refurbished struts and replaced them in March. Now, for the past week, if the car sits for a while, as soon as I turn the car on, the front of the car lowers to the ground and I can hear a large amount of air escaping from somewhere. I havent been able to narrow down the exact location of the air leak yet. I scheduled a service appt, but it's weeks away. If I can figure out what the problem is, I can probably have a local place fix it sooner. Has anyone had a similar problem? Sorry for the long post, I just need to get this fixed asap.

Until either you or someone diagnoses where the air leak is, you don't really know what the problem is. Is it just one wheel or all of them? It sounds like you're saying either the front lowers or the back lowers but never at the same time. If this is the case, it sounds like it's a pneumatic controller issue which is in the front under the frunk liner.

Yes, this time around it’s always both front struts lose air at the same time. It doesn’t gradually lose air while it sits, like there is a leak. It all goes at one time once I “start” it. I have the frunk liner out and I’m going to try to recreate the problem tomorrow so I can see where the air is coming out.

My 17 had front suspension air leaks, first attempt to fix it was a distribution valve which didn't help but they told me they are known to leak. Then what fixed it was a new strut, but maybe your air distribution device has a leak.

Don’t know if anyone can help but I’m having issues with my 2014 MS with air ride I’m not loosing air at all cause I don’t see the car sink or loose ride height it’s when ever I take off to fast or I hi a place where it remembers where it needs to raise Amit a hit and miss times it will be okay then times it will stop and tell me it’s unavailable if anyone out there is have this problem please let me know

check for corrosion at the bottom of the air strut lip. spray a little soapy water up there and if it bubbles then you have found your leak. It is possible to repair. I expect that most of the cars that live up north are going to have this problem eventually.

PXL_20210301_151914812.jpg

PXL_20201119_161659755.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH
I know I’m not loosing air cause the suspension dosent drop or loose it last position. It just stops and gives me an error that it’s unavailable when it gose out. So I don’t think there is a leak when I pull over and shut the car off completely then it comes back to normal. But it’s been happening more often. Also when it nice out side good weather if I have been driving it for awhile it won’t do it so I’m thinking it might be a sensor or something maybe the pump but I’m not sure sure what it might be ???

Well my 2014 ms areas that the air Suspension will go up in height sometimes it will fail or if I’m about to drive off if I do it really quickly then the air Suspension will fail and give me that reading hat the air Suspension is not available.... are you talking about the leveling sensors?? That’s the only thing I can think your talking about ??

From your write up I am not sure what is happening with your car. Do you have access to the service manual? I can see if I can find a link for you to download it.
Also here’s the strange thing when it fails I can pull over turn the car off and the suspension will come back on and if I drive off really slow and take it easy then it will be okay but like what I said it comes and goes