Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air - worth the $2,500 upgrade from coils?

Smart Air Suspension - worth the $2,500 upgrade?

• Yes; I love my SAS!

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • No; the coils are simpler and provide driver connectivity to the road

Votes: 35 41.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any comments on road noise? Some people are syaing it really works. Others are saying it is the tires. Any good data point?

I have heard the same thing. The SAS provide a quieter ride than the coils - of course with the same tires.

I'm thinking I can always add audio later- and I could probably do most of it myself. I could NOT do that with the SAS! So, I'm going to opt for the SAS now and put in the "premium" audio (my own) later.

What made the decision for me (did not order it) was the history of air suspensions on other high end cars. With no long term reliability data for Tesla yet, I have to assume it will be similar to the others and that was enough for me to give it a swerve...

Last edited:
I have heard the same thing. The SAS provide a quieter ride than the coils - of course with the same tires.

I'm thinking I can always add audio later- and I could probably do most of it myself. I could NOT do that with the SAS! So, I'm going to opt for the SAS now and put in the "premium" audio (my own) later.

Any confirmation though? People tend to be bias when it's their car. I would like accurate data. From what I read, most of the people claiming less road noise are the people WITH SAS. Without real data, I cannot believe them completely. Like I said, if it's huge difference, I must have it. But if it's a small difference, then I rather save that money and headache of repairs down the road and get the coil.

I've got coils and don't regret it at all. Just as with any lower vehicle, I take dips and bumps at an angle and don't rub anything. One wheel at a time up any curbs or anything and it's just fine.

Remember when polling people who've spent a lot of money on something, there's the Sunk Cost dilemma where many people's brains will convince them it was a smart purchase regardless of reality. Something to consider.

I have an S85D with air. I've driven a loaner and some others with coils. I find the ride difference to be extremely minimal and you'd likely get more of a difference when you replace your tires with your new select variants (DWs? Conti S5s? Michelin PS2s? Hankook Ventus?). What I do notice is that:

(1) It's hella cool to show friends the adjustable suspension. I just adds to the Tesla grin and "no way" responses. But more seriously ...

(2) It saves me every single day from scratching the air scoop on the bumper because I have an unfavorable curb cut going onto my upward sloping driveway. It also allows me to get over one of the curb cuts at a regular work location without incident. Without air, I would be bottoming out at least once a day (I know this from driving the coil version into my garage and also at this work location). So for me, $2,500 or tons of scratches on the bottom of the air scoop was a no brainer decision.

Best of luck.

- K

I have an S85D with air. I've driven a loaner and some others with coils. I find the ride difference to be extremely minimal and you'd likely get more of a difference when you replace your tires with your new select variants (DWs? Conti S5s? Michelin PS2s? Hankook Ventus?). What I do notice is that:

(1) It's hella cool to show friends the adjustable suspension. I just adds to the Tesla grin and "no way" responses. But more seriously ...

(2) It saves me every single day from scratching the air scoop on the bumper because I have an unfavorable curb cut going onto my upward sloping driveway. It also allows me to get over one of the curb cuts at a regular work location without incident. Without air, I would be bottoming out at least once a day (I know this from driving the coil version into my garage and also at this work location). So for me, $2,500 or tons of scratches on the bottom of the air scoop was a no brainer decision.

Best of luck.

- K

+1

I need SAS to prevent scraping in my driveway and a parking garage so well worth it to me.

Thanks for all the reply on the noise. Looks like i decided to stick to coil for now. I will still have to test drive one without air and see ehat it feels like just to compare apples to apples, but as much as i like the air suspension, i just fear the down the road repair cost.

NoDF, that's exactly what i did recently. I scheduled test drives to drive the air first and then immediately get into a car with the coils. I felt NO difference. Absolutely none.

While I agree it would be cool to raise and lower it and see people's faces with the "wow" look, I just see it as gimmicky and a long-term costly repair if it breaks (since other manufacturers have had history with issues with air suspension systems).

I'm ordering in 6 days. Today, I'm leaning towards getting the coils and the Premium Audio.

I scheduled test drives to drive the air first and then immediately get into a car with the coils. I felt NO difference. Absolutely none.

I am extremely impressed with coils on my 85D, it's much, much better than any previous vehicle I've ever owned.

I bottomed out the air equipped 85D I test drove when I was pulling back into their lot. Yep, air rides lower and if you don't manually intervene ahead of time, you'll bottom out more with air compared to coils.

SAS is more for cool factor than anything IMHO but I tend to be a practical kind of guy...

One thing I didn't point out is... the smart air suspension is cool an' all, but, it does make a lot of noise. Either, when you get into the car but haven't moved off yet, or when someone else gets out, or any of the other times when it's adjusting itself. It adjusts itself whenever you least expect it sometimes. And there is the problem of geo-tagged adjustments that take place even when you don't need them (discussed elsewhere on this forum) - when you aren't going to take an entrance ramp that you're driving past, but it adjusts anyway if it can. Not really the fault of the noises, but it leads to more noises.

I have driven a lot of coiled loaners, and the coil suspension doesn't make any sounds at all, and it's pretty quiet during normal driving. Lack of adjustment noises makes it easier to drive away from friends you've been visiting with complete silence :)

One thing I didn't point out is... the smart air suspension is cool an' all, but, it does make a lot of noise. Either, when you get into the car but haven't moved off yet, or when someone else gets out, or any of the other times when it's adjusting itself. It adjusts itself whenever you least expect it sometimes. And there is the problem of geo-tagged adjustments that take place even when you don't need them (discussed elsewhere on this forum) - when you aren't going to take an entrance ramp that you're driving past, but it adjusts anyway if it can. Not really the fault of the noises, but it leads to more noises.

I have driven a lot of coiled loaners, and the coil suspension doesn't make any sounds at all, and it's pretty quiet during normal driving. Lack of adjustment noises makes it easier to drive away from friends you've been visiting with complete silence :)

What kind of noises are you talking about? Not like a compressor running or something, right?

I'm still pretty confident I'll order the SAS this next Saturday. The audio I can upgrade later - to my own liking - and I can put a lot of audio in there for $2500!

What made the decision for me (did not order it) was the history of air suspensions on other high end cars. With no long term reliability data for Tesla yet, I have to assume it will be similar to the others and that was enough for me to give it a swerve...

Same here. There's very little that can wrong with coils and air is something that wears so it may go after the warranty expires.

What kind of noises are you talking about? Not like a compressor running or something, right?

Sorry, I should have said, it makes no sound during normal operation of riding along, absorbing bumps etc.. It's only when it's doing the height-adjustment or self-leveling adjustment that you hear something, and it's only because there is no big ICE under the hood that you really hear those noises. Sadly the Tesla is held to a much higher bar than ICE cars when it comes to eliminating noises out of the various mechanisms. The ICE manufacturers' equipment gets to make noise and no-one complains. Tesla's gizmos get more scrutiny due to the utter silence of the motor!

Coil Vs. Air, consider AWD too

the scales tipped when I took the coil springs into a curve and accelerated and for the first time in any S I've driven I felt body roll. call me spoiled but one of the things I've been awed by with the S (with SAS) from day one is how it defies gravity with it's fantastic cornering.

Teslas don't roll, in general. Let's be relative. The amount of give a coil car has is something I bet you can feel, but it can't be much given the roll-center of a GT40. I see a speed where what you describe is better, with SAS, but then a higher one where many of the coil buyers are going to keep their nerve. I still think SAS hunts for where to put the air, throughout a turn. It's flat, where I might build confidence, but I don't have it as I'm trying to figure out just how much load I'm putting onto the tires, as I want to lift, point, and then step on it. Since the OP is concerned about bias, I had a SAS '15 P85 loaner, on 19's, on the exact same roads our S85 Coil 19 Primacy car, and to me it was smoother, and more quiet. I get this impression consistently. I haven't tried, but don't think a more compliant 19" tire, or letting some of those 50lbs out, is going to match SAS. I bet having softer springs might do it, at minimal expense to roll. There are places that will wind them, but is it worth this kind of small change?

Hard Driving: A tangent for the thread, but it can come down to how hard you plan to drive the car, and what you want to drive through with SAS trying to keep things level. Practically speaking, few drive hard enough, or regularly enough, for me to think they would be better off with coils. There is also a difference between Tesla's AWD and RWD, when it comes to Air. The RWD SAS P85s had rear outboard squat, and front inboard lift, to excess when accelerating out of turns. I think a lot of sport drivers were selecting coils, or the P85+ SAS version, to fix this. With AWD, it's a different story. You don't get these dynamics, as at least 85D/70D have equal rated kw motors, front and back. This produces less squat, and probably enables more enjoyment of the Air suspension. P85D may go the other way, putting more power (and fun) in the back, again, with perhaps a greater argument for coils to deal with it.

Cost: Beyond the $2,500 option, elsewhere it is posted the SAS assemblies are $3,500 each corner (X4). One part number, for damper, spring, air spring, together. It's better "around town", but only you can decide if the increment/risk is worth it. If Air develops problems, owners of Air cars could have a harder time trading away from Tesla's CPO program. That said, there are so many Air cars, that I doubt they will allow chronically high bills without some rebuild/re-manufacture. I'll never buy a used car, with "iffy" shocks that could set me back $14k.

Reactions: Duke-U
There aren't really any old Teslas out there yet, not even the high mileage ones. I am thinking 10 years old and you will wear out the compressor, the seals and probably the reservoir. But I could be wrong and unfortunately only time can tell :)

and then you can put a real coil setup on it!

like 100th said - the body roll was disappointing in the non air car I tried. maybe newer suspensions are better?

- - - Updated - - -

good idea