Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waited in a long line up to sit in the Model 3 this week.
Matches my expectations from online reviews.
Car looks fantastic in person, body lines are sharp.
Like a smaller Model S in style.

Screen was very quick to respond, map pinch and zoom was more responsive than my top of the line smart phone, very impressive.

Trunk was larger than I expected, nowhere near as cavernous as our Model S, but livable for my needs, my wife might keep her S because she travels with materials for her business that take up a lot of space.

Reviews of handling match my hopes, tight car, better acceleration than the base S85 we have (which itself is "sufficient"), looking forward to the dual motor version.

Tesla3.jpg

Reactions: MarcoRP
Got my Model 3 invite on March 22 2018, almost 2 years to the day I put down $1K reservation deposit.

We visited Toronto Yorkdale to see the Model 3, entire family agreed it's a nice car, but lots of areas where our "classic" 2013 Model S is preferable.

Have deferred configuration until AWD is available. Might risk rebate going away in Ontario, but don't feel the "upgrade" from our 2013 Model S would be acceptable unless Model 3 was a BIG step up, hence the AWD for performance.

With taxes and rebate the Model 3 RWD (LR battery, Red, premium upgrade, auto pilot) is $68K. Seriously. Almost exactly what I thought the top of the range model would be when I put down my deposit two years ago.

Am considering selling the Model S privately as Tesla trade-in quote is well below market value. Wife is not ready to sell her S, so we configure when she feels like it makes sense.

Meanwhile, have driven my Smart ED 101 km from 100 to 1% battery on a round trip in -2C.

Took 16 hours to recharge, 19.8 kWh from the wall, 17.6 kWh into battery as reported by our "Fleet Carma" logging device. Daimler quotes 17.6 kWh battery size, and that is exactly the usable energy, very nice to see that, clear marketing!

Update:

Took my Smart ED in for service at Mercedes Dealer.
Truly pathetic service and experience.
Sigh. Mercedes is so far behind Tesla it's sad.
Firmware takes 2 day service to update, had to wait months for firmware system to get the new "part in stock" (PART, STOCK really?!).
They didn't reset my service indication warning, so the car constantly nags to bring in for service.
Waited 1 hour with no attention before they advised the service advisor was too busy to see me.
Embarrassing.

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon and Mr X
Tesla update:

Took in for last CPO full car warranty coverage service.
Convenient, got a S60 loaner and all the items were handled.

Our 2013 S85 is soon to be out of CPO warranty with the 2021 8 year drive train warranty remaining.
BEST car we've ever owned.
A total beast on the road, drives like new, amazing to get software updates all the time with new features and fun toys.

Took a 1000 km round trip visit to
Welcome to Killarney Provincial Park

Spent a week on a multi-cabin site (only accessible by boat)
Charlton Lake Camp Killarney Area Cottage Resort

Amazing scenery, hiking trails, very special.
Our 2013 Tesla S worked great, no issues, still supercharges at 90 kW maximum (same as it did new).
Maximum 100% SOC Range now reports 405 km (down from 415 km a few years ago and 425 new).
What a great car, not a rattle or squeak.

Service review for 2013 Tesla Model S eMMC repair and LTE upgrade.

Summary:
  • At $370, this was hundreds cheaper than Tesla originally quoted.
  • No physical interaction, everything via app, service responded within minutes of every message (dozens) I sent.
  • 100D Model S loaner.
  • Result : Car infotainment is very quick to respond, and feels faster to interact (switching songs, scrolling in maps) with than new, fantastic upgrades.

Tesla has a warranty (free to me) upgrade path for the eMMC storage chip from 8GB to 64GB. I was offered that upgrade and took the car in this week for service.

While checking into service, I noted in the app I would like 3G to 4g LTE upgrade if the parts were available, as this would mean the service team would only need to pull the infotainment computer out of the dash once to handle both eMMC and LTE upgrades. The service team noted the LTE upgrade parts were now cheaper than the original ($500) quote I had seen.

Tesla also checked tire pressures and reported no issues on the check for wear.

The best part, everything done via app, there was little to no physical interaction, and I was in/out same day.

The original estimate had a $200 diagnosis charge, but this was removed prior to final bill, what other company would (without asking) drop a charge on a service bill?! Final bill with GST/tax came to $370 Canadian.

370!!

As background, after 8.5 years, our Model S is still 95% original capacity, supercharges at 90 kW max as it did new and there is not a squeak or rattle. Even after the dash being worked on this week, car is just as tight and silent as before.