Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EV (or ED)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going down to the dealer tomorrow and try to nail one down. This will be a perfect 2nd car for me and my wife.
EDIT
I bought a Red Coupe and drove it home last night. EV's get free charging and parking in my little beach town of Hermosa Breach. This car fits in even the smallest parking spots.

Last edited:
Almost been 1 month. I've driven it every day, have had it for 29 days and am over the mileage per month limit for the lease agreement :redface: it is extremely hard not to drive, it is addicting, super quick and very cool, turns heads everywhere i go, have gotten nothing but compliments and people taking pics of it while driving. Matte Grey with Daytime Running Lights = a looker, super efficient commuter car, a true mini go kart, extremely safe (designed by the finest Mercedes-Benz engineers in the world, i never worry about not being safe, such a lame criticism people make, ignore the ignorants)

Usually get between 70-90 miles per charge mixed with a little freeway driving sometimes but mostly city driving and long backroads with speeds up to 55, have the regen paddles and they are a must i'd say the options of having no regen (coasting) medium level of regen and a high level of regen is pretty essential + it makes the car even more fun to drive, i can assure you that you haven't had as much fun driving a car if you haven't driven the smart ED, only thing funner than this would probably be a tesla roadster or a model s, if you step down on the pedal and make it click it unleashes the kick down mode which makes the car accelerate away even faster than just stepping all the way down on the pedal, you will smoke every car (besides a tesla
:cool:)

This is an absolute perfect 2nd, 3rd or 4th car. It's an awesome little car. If you get it you wont regret it. 909 miles of smiles, loving every second in it. 2 Seats is plenty, over 200,000,000 empty seats are driven around every day. The car has plenty of cargo room, can easily fit a 42 inch tv in the back along with a lot of other stuff. The ride of this car is 1000x better than my old gas smart, its a lot smoother and takes bumps easier/softer which is great, the power steering is also lovely, dont have it in my gas smart, now when i went to drive it it felt pretty unstable compared to the ED. Also has great passing power at any speed, flew by many cars going up the onramps, got it up to 82 on the freeway. Funnest car. Highly recommended EV.

6F2868D9-BCCE-4D7E-AAA5-D53BCEA9304B-44741-00002A0C50334DED_zps5b8b1aba.jpg

null_zpse57afdce.jpg

EA8D7BC5-2E87-4E85-802F-9118F22F07F9-28619-000015EFE1570F87_zps5e6a4ec4.jpg

9BF4084E-91A0-4F5A-B4BD-AC2ED3058325-38693-00001FDBD81A3F67_zpsb2fa868c.jpg

^ actually went 91.4 before plugging in, had about 6% battery left, all city driving, barely any accelerator mashing, it was a very conservative drive on that charge, very light footed, haven't achieved it again but its possible.

Last edited:
Design News - Smart EV Has No Doors or Windows

Unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show last week, the Smart Fourjoy may be one of the auto industry's most unusual vehicles, even by the bizarre standards of the concept car. It includes a futuristic interior with a rear bench seat designed to look like lounge furniture, as well as transparent exterior parts and LEDs fitted to its front and rear lights.

The Fourjoy also features an all-electric powertrain. A 17.6-kWh lithium-ion battery drives a 55-kW permanent magnet electric motor. Smart says that it takes seven hours to charge the battery from a household socket, longer if a 120V line is used.

To accentuate its commitment to zero-emission driving, Smart incorporated hardware to fasten two so-called "longboards" to the Fourjoy's roof. "With these electrically driven skateboards it is possible to cover short distances in the city without producing any local emissions," the company said in a press release. Smart added that skateboard helmets can be stowed behind the seats and that a high-definition camera is available to film the skateboard adventures and share photos with friends on social networks.

224100_765077.jpg

I think they may have jumped the shark with this one...

cute little thing. 0 - 62 mph, 11.5 s. I don't think it'll take my P85. haha. Doesn't Tesla make the battery packs or power trains for these things? On the specs page for the lithium ion battery it says 'Manufactured by Deutsche ACCUmotive' but no mention of Tesla for the powertrain...

new electric cars. custom mini electric vehicles. smart USA
View attachment 42539

The 0-60 time is a bit strange because it does not seem like 11 seconds. The car is very quick. 0-40 in 5 seconds. You do not know the amount of joy this car gives me. I love driving side by side next to other cars and then just smashing the pedal and taking off. :cool: And just to give a comparison the ED is actually quicker than the Chevy Volt from 0-~55. My dad tested it against his co worker and surprised him.

I am very sure i've changed hundreds of peoples perception of the smart in my town. If anyone ever thought a smart car was slow they really thought wrong. :wink:

It's an underrated performer no doubt. I have 5436 miles, about 6 months of ownership, not a single problem, car has been absolutely flawless. I've also made friends with a fellow matte grey colored 2014 Mercedes SL550. And i've received a few compliments from Tesla owners. One on the road last month a guy in a brown model s. I pulled up next to him and he was checking out my car. Rolled down my window and gave him a thumbs up. He rolled his window down and asked if that was the electric smart. Told him yep and he said cool nice color and gave me a thumbs up in return. Made my day. :cool:

And Tesla actually made the very first electric smart car. Now Daimler improved and makes the battery in house for the current Smart ED. There is a very good read on how Elon and Tesla made the first electric smart. I'll quote it below.

Musk tried to accelerate the rollout of the Roadster by hiring Ze’ev Drori, a no-nonsense former Israeli paratrooper and microchip executive, to take over as CEO. While Drori focused on solving the Roadster’s problems, Musk started to think about ways to bring in more income.

One option was to try to ride the electric wave by selling battery packs to the larger manufacturers. The income could keep Tesla alive long enough to eventually compete head-to-head. After all, electric vehicles were going to need batteries, and Musk was convinced that Tesla had the best power packs. Of course, most manufacturers weren’t inclined to make a huge bet on a struggling startup.

Still, Musk tried. In September 2007, he flew to Stuttgart, Germany, and met with a group of Daimler executives, who listened skeptically as Musk told them how great his technology was. They weren’t sold.

But two months later Musk got an email from Herbert Kohler, Daimler’s head of advanced engineering, saying that he and some other Daimler execs would be in California in six weeks and would be willing to look at Tesla’s technology.

It was all Musk needed. He immediately called JB Straubel, Tesla’s CTO.

“We need to make an electric Smart car in six weeks,” Musk said. “Can you do it?”

Straubel pointed out that it would mean he’d have to pull engineers off the Roadster at a time when they were still desperately trying to solve production problems. It was a tough call, but Musk believed that if they could prove themselves to Daimler, they could win a valuable contract. In addition to the much-needed cash, it would validate Tesla in the eyes of the world. They had to try.

Straubel had another question: Where was he supposed to get a regular, gas-powered Smart car to retrofit? At the time, Daimler didn’t sell Smarts in the US.

With a bit of research, he discovered that the cars were sold in Mexico. He made a few calls and located a dealership in Tijuana with stock on hand. He hurriedly decided to send someone to fetch a car. A Tesla engineer suggested a friend who was fluent in Spanish, and, after a quick call, the guy agreed to make the trip south.

Straubel walked over to the finance department. “I need $20,000 in cash in a bag right now,” he said. “We’re sending someone to Tijuana to buy a Smart car.”

The finance person noted that a lot could go wrong with that scenario but got Straubel the money. Three days later, the engineer’s buddy showed up at Tesla headquarters with a brand-new Smart car.

Straubel and his team removed the 83-horsepower gas engine and set to work building a custom battery pack that would fit in the tiny car’s engine compartment. Next, they refashioned a Roadster motor to power it. When they got too tired, they napped underneath a staircase, but the pounding of feet overhead made it hard to stay asleep for long.

Finally, at one o’clock in the morning, five and a half weeks after setting to work, the reengineered Smart was fully assembled. Straubel got in the driver’s seat and switched on the power. He goosed the accelerator and rocketed out of the garage and into the parking lot. When Straubel floored it, the front wheels lifted off the ground and the back tires left marks on the asphalt.

Straubel called Musk and told him the car was ready for the Germans.

The Daimler executives sat down in Tesla’s conference room midmorning on January 16, 2008. Musk walked them through a PowerPoint presentation that explained the advantages of the Roadster’s technology. Kohler wasn’t impressed. He wasn’t here to talk about a flashy, limited-run show car. He wanted to know if Tesla could mass-produce battery packs quickly for the Smart. His frosty demeanor indicated that, in his opinion, it didn’t seem likely.

“We’ve actually got something to show you,” Musk said and asked the Daimler execs to follow him.

Kohler spotted the shiny new Smart sitting in the middle of the garage and didn’t smile. It might have seemed like a gimmick at first—Musk managed to get a Smart into the US. Big deal.

“It’s electric,” Musk said.

“What do you mean?” Kohler asked.

“We put in a Tesla battery and motor.”

Kohler examined the car. Straubel had been careful not to alter its shape or interior, so it was impossible to tell that it had been modified.

Kohler got behind the wheel and Musk hopped in the passenger seat. When the German stepped on the accelerator, the car bolted out of the garage and disappeared. Straubel waited nervously with the other Daimler executives. After 15 minutes, the Smart tore back into the garage. Straubel noticed that the normally taciturn Kohler was trying hard not to smile.

“Let’s explore a partnership,” Kohler told Musk.

How Elon Musk Turned Tesla Into the Car Company of the Future | Wired Magazine | Wired.com

so technically the Model ED came before the Model S :biggrin:

oh and i finally got the HOV stickers

00iQkhY.jpg

It looks good but how can you drive in winter weather without glass or roof....

What exactly do you mean? I'm in Cali so it hasn't really been that cold but i haven't suffered any noticeable range loss at all. There are guys on the smart forum that are in very cold climates and they said that the car was performing well although some couldn't get the pre-heating to work on the smart app so their interiors were super cold in the mornings.

And i'd assume in snow the smart would be able to drive through no problem with its thin tires and power. Same with the BMW i3.

Last edited:
That's a great story about the Daimler deal
Musk has made some big bets and they seem to have paid off. As noted above I leased the one that has a top and real windows. Speaking of 0 to 60 times, I beat a Camaro the othe day 0 to 60 feet. He didn't know i was racing him and by the time he caught up with me I was going at the speed limit and had lifted the pedal. LOL

There's a new Model S owner on the smart car forum who has a Smart ED and there's a guy that has a Lotus Exige and a Smart ED.

I think some people think that smarts are not cool? Well there are plenty of guys with cool expensive/exotic cars that have smarts and love them.

9677 miles on my ED. 17 days until i take it in for its 1 year service... i've already had it for almost a year now! Have had absolutely no problems, car has been flawless and an absolute blast to drive. Thing little car leaves my hands shaking and heart beating fast after im done driving it. So addicting to drive.

And I still get compliments from people... girls specifically :cool:

Smart ED, the funnest, one of the coolest and most affordable EV's available. You just can't go wrong leasing it. Highly recommended if anyone is looking for a second EV.

A few weeks after ordering our Tesla, my wife decided that she wanted a Smart ED Cabriolet. I think she did it just to be the first in the family to get an EV. We've had it for almost a month now and it is definitely fun to drive, although the acceleration and range leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Model S. Makes the wait for the Tesla even worse.

A few weeks after ordering my Smart ED, my wife decided that she wanted a Mercedes GLK. I think she did it just to be the first in the family to get a Mercedes.

I waited 9 months for my little electric wonder car, meanwhile she got to zoom around in her luxury SUV. Oh well. My revenge is that whenever the Smart is available, she takes it now instead of the GLK.

I've blogged my experiences with the Smart ED (see my profile for details). I just love the car and have a lot of experience and knowledge of the inner details of the car, having read the technical manual provided to Smart technicians. It is engineered with significant care, and it amazes me that Smart was able to pack so much tech into such a small package. It has fully conditioned battery, actively cooled drive unit and electronics and a capable traction and stability control system.

- - - Updated - - -

the acceleration and range leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Model S. Makes the wait for the Tesla even worse.

Which is exactly why I have avoided test driving the Model S! :scared:
I have a weakness for fast cars (my favourite was my fire breathing 1996 Z28).

Last year we decided to buy two cars, one gas, one electric, and we spent $60K.

One option was to keep driving my old beater car for a few more years and buy a Model S for her...which would have been agony for me...so I got my own electric car for my commute, and she got a comfortable SUV we can take to our weekly winter events in far off places (we drive 8000km in the winter just on weekends all over Ontario, the rest of the year the gas SUV gets driven at most 10km per day).

For me, the Smart ED is perfect. I love the way it takes off from a stop, and my commute is on narrow city streets, so there is lots of room between me and the parked cars. Plus, my garage is a 1920's shed, meant to hold cars of the Model T vintage/size, and thus the Smart fits, where the Mercedes does not...

Drove the Mercedes GLK350 to work last week and was surprised that it was slower from 0-60 km/h than the Smart ED, about an extra second.
Mind you, the howl from the V6 when the SUV gets rolling is nice.

Really loving the strong and silent commuting in my Smart ED.
It flat out surprises from light to light on my short drive to work on the back streets.

Wife now prefers the Smart over her Mercedes, and is bored of gas cars, and is interested in "what other options" are out there for a 5 passenger family vehicle that can run on electric for short drives she takes, which are the vast majority of trips.

The Model S is just too wide for our situation, as we have an old detached garage made in the 1920's that can barely fit the GLK...