Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EV (or ED)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• TeslaSmart.JPG
    TeslaSmart.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
  • TeslaSmart2.JPG
    TeslaSmart2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I rode in one of these Smart EVs today, here in metro Atlanta. I didn't drive it (rode shotgun) and honestly I wasn't paying much attention to the car because they were really showing off the EVSE equipment (Clipper Creek CS-30, I think). It still had the European connector, though, so they couldn't actually show off the newly installed EVSE :) It was only here for two days, and I don't know where it's going next.

About ten months ago I was lucky enough to be given a Smart ED for a half day. It was fairly fun around town but dismal everywhere else.

We've actually got a Smart CDI which gets 88 mpg on a small 700 cc engine, so I'm used to the Smart feel.

Sadly, the electric version felt woefully poor above about 45 mph.

Here's the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm pretty sure this is the line, since I recently read and heard though other sources that MB is actually re-evaluating their whole EV strategy and are canceling it! They will be concentrating on extended milage diesel engines instead.......... go figure..........!?

Well just as long as Daimler doesn't try to trash Tesla's reputation, I'd say Tesla made out in the arrangement even if Daimler doesn't buy any more batteries or they dissolve the relationship. Daimler made a key investment and raised Tesla's profile at a time when money was tight. The deal with Toyota is clearly much more important since Tesla got a factory out of it.

Anyhow, I guess my point is that if they end up breaking up with Daimler, they should try to do so amicably as far as the public is concerned. (Is there still someone from Daimler on the board of directors?)