Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EVSE (Open Source)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sorry to hear you moved away from OpenEVSE. OpenEVSE is in fact designed for the international markets and does support locking of a Type 2 socket (with an inexpensive driver board) and proximity pilot for IEC cable ampacity detection. OpenEVSE outputs the commands for Lock/Unlock on the ISP header pins.

OpenEVSE also supports all the required safety checks required by IEC, SAE and UL such as GFCI, Welded Contact Detection, and Ground Monitoring.

Hi Chris,
While browsing your store, i can't seem to find a kit which supports locking the Type 2 socket, nor the driver board.
I also can't seem to find the schematics or any reference to the locking support in the Changelog on your Github page?

Ref the GFCI, this is usually handled by a type A (AC current only) or type B (also detects DC current) Din Rail type GFCI.
It seems that type A is ok for use in the USA, but in Europe some car manufacturers like Renault demand a type B to be used.

While welded contact detection would be nice to add to the SmartEVSE, it's a feature that has been omitted by other charge controllers as well (for example PhoenixContact or Wega 879-101).

I designed SmartEVSE to be used with Smart charging in mind, as i only have 3x25A available for the house + charging the Roadster and Model S. And charging at a fixed amperage would have probably melted the mains fuses at some point. Now i can charge the roadster at 25A (single phase only) and the Model S at 3x25A, and the SmartEVSE will automatically lower the charge current to the EV while we are cooking or the washing machine is on.

Hi Chris,
While browsing your store, i can't seem to find a kit which supports locking the Type 2 socket, nor the driver board.
I also can't seem to find the schematics or any reference to the locking support in the Changelog on your Github page?

Ref the GFCI, this is usually handled by a type A (AC current only) or type B (also detects DC current) Din Rail type GFCI.
It seems that type A is ok for use in the USA, but in Europe some car manufacturers like Renault demand a type B to be used.

While welded contact detection would be nice to add to the SmartEVSE, it's a feature that has been omitted by other charge controllers as well (for example PhoenixContact or Wega 879-101).

I designed SmartEVSE to be used with Smart charging in mind, as i only have 3x25A available for the house + charging the Roadster and Model S. And charging at a fixed amperage would have probably melted the mains fuses at some point. Now i can charge the roadster at 25A (single phase only) and the Model S at 3x25A, and the SmartEVSE will automatically lower the charge current to the EV while we are cooking or the washing machine is on.

Maybe one day the rest of the closed charging station market will catch up with SmartEVSE and OpenEVSE. Adaptive Smart Charging is absolutely the future of both home and large scale deployments and the key to reducing infrastructure cost.

All versions of OpenEVSE support locking type 2 with a firmware upgrade. The commands are sent via digital pins on the ISP header. The Driver board can be any common Forward/Reverse motor controller that takes 2 digital inputs (1 line for forward and a second for reverse). I have tested this board but there are many options available:

Pololu - VNH5019 Motor Driver Carrier

Today I have decided to go for the SmartEVSE as well!

I live in Arnhem, Netherlands, and I have a couple of questions:
  • Where can I find a Type 2 wall-mounted socket (wandcontactdoos) like Wido showed in his pictures?
  • What Enclosure do you recommend? I spotted the Famatel Aqua 8 module DIN version.
  • Now smart charging works with the additional smart sensors. I intend to connect my Smart Meter to the SmartEVSE. Via an Arduino controller that generates the right wire protocol for the SmartEVSE. Is someone already busy with something like that? Let me know, maybe we can work together on this.
Let me know. Any help is welcome.

Best regards,

Mario

Today I have decided to go for the SmartEVSE as well!

I live in Arnhem, Netherlands, and I have a couple of questions:
  • Where can I find a Type 2 wall-mounted socket (wandcontactdoos) like Wido showed in his pictures?
  • What Enclosure do you recommend? I spotted the Famatel Aqua 8 module DIN version.
  • Now smart charging works with the additional smart sensors. I intend to connect my Smart Meter to the SmartEVSE. Via an Arduino controller that generates the right wire protocol for the SmartEVSE. Is someone already busy with something like that? Let me know, maybe we can work together on this.
Let me know. Any help is welcome.

Best regards,

Mario
You can order a Type 2 socket here: Laadkabels & Laadpalen voor elektrische auto's

I have one from Mennekes which I ordered via EV-Box, but it was double the price however.

I don't know which enclosure I have, I think it's a famatel indeed. Long time ago. I ordered it here: Home page

Old post, but valid question I hope. I have some problems with the smart evse stop charging, as is describes in the bugfix 2.0.2: Fix: Charging sometimes stopped because State C control pilot ranges were too strict.

Is there a simple explaination about how to udpate the frimware with a mac and fdti cable (first time for everything)

Old post, but valid question I hope. I have some problems with the smart evse stop charging, as is describes in the bugfix 2.0.2: Fix: Charging sometimes stopped because State C control pilot ranges were too strict.

Is there a simple explaination about how to udpate the frimware with a mac and fdti cable (first time for everything)
Does this help: Building and Programming | Smart EVSE

apparently the MPLAB C18 Compiler is no longer available, but I also do not need to reprogramm the unit.

basically i'm looking for this solution: "The Smart EVSE comes pre-programmed with the latest software, and is firmware upgradable using a FTDI cable."

As from what I understand I can install FTDI drivers on my mac, connect the FDTI-usb cable from the smartevse to my mac, do so port setting (serial /com?) and than do some trick via the terminal using the latest code from github.

apparently the MPLAB C18 Compiler is no longer available, but I also do not need to reprogramm the unit.

basically i'm looking for this solution: "The Smart EVSE comes pre-programmed with the latest software, and is firmware upgradable using a FTDI cable."

As from what I understand I can install FTDI drivers on my mac, connect the FDTI-usb cable from the smartevse to my mac, do so port setting (serial /com?) and than do some trick via the terminal using the latest code from github.
You will need to compile the source code to a binary and program it. Over FDTI with a programmer the chip needs to be programmed.

I still have the C18 compiler on my laptop and the matlab IDE, I've build a HEX file from the latest master branch and attached it here.

Attachments

• EVSE_MAIN.X.production.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the hex file!

I think I overlooked theC18 Compiler link on Building and Programming | Smart EVSE
It's under the directlink to the Microchip website: Mac OSX: Download the .dmg file here.

Nonetheless, I have Mplab preinstalled and can open the hex file.

Is this the way to go correctly?
1. set project properties (image)
2. hook up the unit via usb
3. build project

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.28.56.png

Thanks for the hex file!

I think I overlooked theC18 Compiler link on Building and Programming | Smart EVSE
It's under the directlink to the Microchip website: Mac OSX: Download the .dmg file here.

Nonetheless, I have Mplab preinstalled and can open the hex file.

Is this the way to go correctly?
1. set project properties (image)
2. hook up the unit via usb
3. build project
That seems like the way to do. Although I have a PICKit 3 programmer which I used to program my SmartEVSE.

Hi, In order to load a new firmware to the SmartEVSE you only need a serial-USB cable like a FTDI cable.
Connect it to the 6 pads on the SmartEVSE, using a pinheader.
Then use the AN1310 program (sorry Windows only) to connect to the SmartEVSE.

Download the latest firmware from Github here:
SmartEVSE/smartevse

Load it in the AN1310 program, and press the write device button.

Btw, there is a good chance that your SmartEVSE already had version 2.02, you can check the version by powercycling the SmartEVSE.
The firmware version is displayed on the LCD at powerup.

• Informative
Reactions: widodh
I am very interesting making my own Smart EVSE as well. Well actually I am going to ask my dad to make it, I am now doing as much internet investigation as possible :) He is a pensioned electrician and always looking for projects keeping him occupied. I want to build it for mainly use at home, then also combined with the sensorbox ofcourse. But I also want to be able to use it (let's say a max of 2 times per year) on a European road trip and especially if I go to Norway because the standard EU UMC does not work there.
Widodh, I see in one of your blogs you also have a "mobile" Smartevse charger but I see you are using a blue 1 phase CEE plug. Is that because you have a seperate mobile version for on the road that you dont use 3 phase? If I want to charge 3 phase at home I have to use the red 3 phase plug right?
The other question I have: If I want to take the charger with me I want to easy disconnect the Sensorbox connection. Does the connection still requires to be screw-fit to the smartevse controller or is it a plug?
Many thanks in advance and thanks to Fuzzylogic to put so much work into it. Looking forward making use of it.